Garageband vs Audacity vs FL Studio

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
stevepappas452

20 Feb 2020

Hey guys, For a long time I have been looking for a music composing app. I am a beginner in composing and would like to try out a few songs. I have a Macbook Air at my place. Which is the best app for MAC if I want to compose music?
Steve Pappas

Social Exodus

20 Feb 2020

Might want to look at this as well as whatever DAW you settle one.

https://www.finalemusic.com/
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

EdGrip

20 Feb 2020

You sure chose the right forum for this question!

Social Exodus

20 Feb 2020

EdGrip wrote:
20 Feb 2020
You sure chose the right forum for this question!
be nice lol
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Oquasec

20 Feb 2020

Logic = FL Studio.
Garageband = Reaper.
Presonus = Steinberg.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

TheDragonborg

20 Feb 2020

Not Audacity for one... and well it technically can multitrack but it has no MIDI or realtime plugin support. So it's like a digital multitrack tape recorder that can only record one stereo track at a time.

But you are on a Reason forum so I would say go with that if you can afford it. It's one of the best DAWs to start out with cause so much is included to get you started.

gullum

20 Feb 2020

well garageband is free I think so best way to get started but you can demo Reason for 30 days and that would be even better way to start

hurricane
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

If you just want to "try out" some apps, you already have Garageband, so start with that. Garageband will help you learn Logic. And once you become a little more advanced, move up to Logic for $199. You'll get so much high quality content for your money you won't even believe it. There are a lot of Logic users out there, so there are plenty of tutorials online. And then buy Reason to use the rack inside Logic.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

xboix

21 Feb 2020

Unless you need to put notes on staves then definitely, definitely start with GarageBand. Zero cost, very quick and fun. It's often dismissed as a bit of a toy but it's actually very capable. As hurricane says, Logic would be an obvious upgrade route from there.

Reason is great for many things but just middlin' for composition.

EdGrip

21 Feb 2020

Don't forget the option of buying a physical thing: if you buy a keyboard controller (you'll need one) or an audio interface (you'll probably need one) - it will come with free software. Most come with a limited version of Ableton Live, some with a limited version of Cubase. The MOTU interface I just bought comes with a version of Digital Performer that is, from what I can tell, not very limited at all (I haven't installed it yet cos I've got enough DAWs to be getting on with!)

If you buy a Native Instruments controller or interface, it'll come with Native Instruments stuff. Etc.

This way, you get a piece of hardware you'll need sooner or later, and a useful version of a popular DAW to try out at your leisure, and keep for later.

My only other advice would be - DO try them out. I know the feeling of just wanting to pick something so you can get on with learning and making, but... Pick a shortlist of 5 or 6 DAWs, download the demos, and try one per night, for a week - or two weeks, even. You'll have a much better idea of which ones YOU connect with, than just looking at everyone's very slick websites full of photos of cool people making music.

Audacity isn't really a DAW.

jamesa

21 Feb 2020

Hello,

If you are willing to stay with Mac, I would use Garageband (free) and if you like it and need more functionality buy Logic Pro X. Garageband is basically a simplified version of Logic Pro X. These are incredible programs.

Cheers

• Information