Counterpoint in modern music

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
RobC

05 Nov 2019

When I started out, I obviously made more primitive, pop-like tunes, where there typically was a main melody, and the rest of the song element just followed, or supported it. After a year I already had in mind that absolutely everything has to be unique in my music - both rhythm and melody.

So I guess I did something similar to this - to my understanding (or misunderstanding) at least. Well, the result seems to be similar.

I pretty much start off with a melody, and then for example let it loop and compose a new element to it. They have to work together, but they don't need to follow each-other.

Recently, I even started worrying if I get too complex, or too random. Didn't know this is a thing. That's reassuring though that I'm not doing something wrong.

I did get comments from bass players appreciating that somebody finally gives them a proper melody, though.

RobC

05 Nov 2019

selig wrote:
30 Oct 2019
I didn't mean to imply creativity cannot be cultivated - but if you don't have the concept in your DNA, it's difficult to bring it out and enhance it.
This is exactly what talent is all about. Anyone can learn something, but the ones who are gifted will advance almost supernaturally faster and can create truly mind-blowing things.

(I guess the key to success is also a talented artist, AND a talented manager. Usually one of them is missing. In one case brilliant artists doubt themselves and quit due to lack of business success; and the other case ~ just look at mainstream music, speaks for itself.)

• Information