Experiences with remotemaps

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
bigguy1

08 Oct 2019

Yesterday I was playing around with the remotemap for my Novation Remote 25 Midi Controller. I find it annoying that I always have to Remote-Override the knobs to actually use them with my Novation Controller. All devices from Reason 10 and most of the Rack Extensions are not supported. So I read into the topic. It got really late and getting out of bed was hard, but it was fascinating. It is not too complicated to adapt the file too support newer Reason devices. Here is what I found out yesterday:

What I did yesterday to add support for Radical Keys was copy & paste the section for Radical Piano which was already there. Then I had to adapt which Knobs, Faders, Rotarys and Buttons I want for which remotable parameter. I found the names of all remotable parameters in a template file from a dropbox-link of another thread.
So in general you need the following information to add remote controls for a new device:
  • the name of the rack device
  • the names of the parameters which you can Remote Control on the surface of the rack device
I found out that I can get the name of the rack device in the folder where all the Rack Extensions are downloaded. For every Rack Extension there is a folder names <name of RE><version of RE>. For Radical Keys it was something like "se.propellerheads.radicalkeys". For Scenic it was "se.propellerheads.scenichybrid". So getting the names of the Rack devices shouldn't be a problem.

To get the names of the remotable parameters I tried to put the device in a combinator and use the text that is shown in programmer of the combinator. This was just a partial success. I successfully mapped three knobs to the three macro Sliders in Scenic. But I had no luck with Volume or the Engine Blend parameter.

Does anybody know where I can find the names of all the parameters for rack extensions and Reason 10 devices?

electrofux

08 Oct 2019

Just select the device, then go Files-> export Remote Information (or similar pretty way down the menu).

You get the name of the device and all the remote items it offers - all you need.

Just take care that you allways have the right number of tabs within the different entries in the remote map - that is a common source of errors.

bigguy1

08 Oct 2019

Oooooh man. Thanx! If I knew yesterday I could have saved two hours of research :-)

Editing the file with Excel really helps a lot. Simply renaming to *.xls and you can open the file in Excel as a tabulator separated table.

electrofux

08 Oct 2019

bigguy1 wrote:
08 Oct 2019
Oooooh man. Thanx! If I knew yesterday I could have saved two hours of research :-)

Editing the file with Excel really helps a lot. Simply renaming to *.xls and you can open the file in Excel as a tabulator separated table.
yeah excel is the way to go and save alot of errors and numbering

bigguy1

08 Oct 2019

Is it also possible to add vst devices in the remotemap?

mcatalao
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2019

bigguy1 wrote:
08 Oct 2019
Is it also possible to add vst devices in the remotemap?
Yep. Check my video about it.

bigguy1

10 Oct 2019

I will try tonight. Very nice :-)

And thanx for the tip on how to reload the remotemap-file. I always restarted Reason...

mcatalao
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2019

bigguy1 wrote:
10 Oct 2019
I will try tonight. Very nice :-)

And thanx for the tip on how to reload the remotemap-file. I always restarted Reason...
I have 4 controlling surfaces, one keyboard and an ewi (wind controller).

If I had to restart reason every litle change I'd go crazy... 😂

bigguy1

11 Oct 2019

Remotemaps for VSTs works like a charm. Thx a lot. It is a bit work but it is really worth the time.

I have Reason 10 and the demo of Reason 11 installed. I can't find the folder where the reomtemaps are stored in Reason 10 (on Windows 10). I searched my whole C drive yesterday, but I couldn't find it. In Reason 11 there is a folder calles "Remote" in the installation directory.

Do you know where Reason 10 stores the remote stuff?

mcatalao
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2019

I think it's at program data? Or in the app data in the user folder.

It's different for reason 11 and 11 suite.

bigguy1

11 Oct 2019

I found an remote folder at "Users\<myuser>\appdata\propellerhead\remote" (or similar). But it is empty. I also tried to copy and paste the Reason 11 remote folder there, but that did not work. The Reason 10 remote mapping did not change :-(

It doesn't matter so much because when the demo of Reason 11 runs out I'm quite sure that I'm gonna buy it.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2019

If you consider the suite and go for it, you'll have to copy the remotes and favorites.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2019

Hey, just got it...

previous from R11, the remote files are at:

C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Remote\Maps

on Reason 11 they are at the instalation folder, so depending how you installed it and if it is Reason 11 Or Reason Suite 11:

C:\Program Files\Propellerhead\Reason 11

or

C:\Program Files\Propellerhead\Reason Suite 11

bigguy1

13 Oct 2019

Hey thanx! Maybe the WIndows Search has excluded the "PrgramData" folder.

bigguy1

13 Oct 2019

And here is the my remotemap for Novation Remote 25, if somebody wants that.

I extended the original one by the Propellerheads instrument devices and REs which were released in Reason 10 or later. I also added some VST Instruments.

Do you happen to know if it is somehow possible to add support for multiple Kontakt instruments? Let's say I have 5 Kontakt instruments and I want different map for each Kontakt instrument. Is that possible?
Attachments
ReMOTE 25.zip
(13.77 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

• Information