Reason Drum Kits RE Instrument possible bug

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
superpop
Posts: 105
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 15 Sep 2019

When I plug RDK RE directs out to separate channels of 14:1 Mixer and press Overheads or Room solo and unsolo button there is no sound form Overheads and/or Room.
Everything is ok with all others outs or If am using the Master Out.
Is it a bug?
Last edited by superpop on 15 Sep 2019, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 155
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 15 Sep 2019

Not sure if this helps, as I don't have RDK to re-create, but with some plugins, when you break out audio of each component, the internal routing of that device (a chain that ends with the Master output) is no longer applied to the signal.

superpop
Posts: 105
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
15 Sep 2019
Not sure if this helps, as I don't have RDK to re-create, but with some plugins, when you break out audio of each component, the internal routing of that device (a chain that ends with the Master output) is no longer applied to the signal.
If what you say is correct RDK has a bad design.
I just can’t use multiple outs and press the solo button.

I will wait for the PH support.

Thanks anyway.

User avatar
ShelLuser
Posts: 137
Joined: 25 Aug 2019

Post 16 Sep 2019

I can't help think you have a routing problem of some sort because I can't reproduce any of this. Maybe you could show us some screenshots or something?

(edit): Skip that, I can reproduce. I hook everything up manually and get sound on all 3 channels (main, room & overhead) and as soon as I solo, say, 'room' on the RDK then there's no sound coming from anything other than the main channel. If I turn off solo this situation remains the same...

So: first I get audio from 3 channels, I solo & un-solo and then only the main channel outputs audio. Definitely a bug.

(edit 2): Also because the RDK does show an output signal on both room and overhead, yet the mixer doesn't get any anymore.
--- :reason:
Using the 'Big trio': Ableton Live 10 suite (+ Push & Max 8), Reason 10 and Komplete 12.

superpop
Posts: 105
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
16 Sep 2019
I can't help think you have a routing problem of some sort because I can't reproduce any of this. Maybe you could show us some screenshots or something?

(edit): Skip that, I can reproduce. I hook everything up manually and get sound on all 3 channels (main, room & overhead) and as soon as I solo, say, 'room' on the RDK then there's no sound coming from anything other than the main channel. If I turn off solo this situation remains the same...

So: first I get audio from 3 channels, I solo & un-solo and then only the main channel outputs audio. Definitely a bug.

(edit 2): Also because the RDK does show an output signal on both room and overhead, yet the mixer doesn't get any anymore.
Thank you SelLuser. If it is a bug, there is hope. :lol:

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 524
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 16 Sep 2019

there definitely is a bug there I did same as you described and no sound after solo then un solo

JdA57
Posts: 52
Joined: 20 Jul 2017

Post 16 Sep 2019

For shure a bug! Hopefully it will be fixed now, after you got and post about this too ...

happens with SOLO & MUTE-Buttons

It's a bug too, that you cannot see the Vol-LED's from OHead & Room, before you NOT push the Mute or Solo-Button (after that the bug happens :D )

If you disconnect and then connect the seperate-outs from this again, it will work again.

Not funny!

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 155
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 16 Sep 2019

superpop wrote:
16 Sep 2019
If what you say is correct RDK has a bad design.
I just can’t use multiple outs and press the solo button.
As I have learned over the years there is often an alternative solution. In this instance, you can spend some time building a Combinator that routes the audio through a 14:2 mixer, which will not only then give you mute/solo capabilities, but also an easy way to control levels, treble & bass EQ for each piece of kit, as well as 4 x AUX FX that are more customizable to your taste, rather than being stuck with the onboard FX of that Rack Extension. You could also then assign things like delay FX on the snare & hats to be accessible right from the Combinator rotaries. It may seem like a bit of work, especially if you don't often play around in the 'back of the rack', but when you build it once, save the Combinator, you can use that for all future projects.

JdA57
Posts: 52
Joined: 20 Jul 2017

Post 17 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
16 Sep 2019
superpop wrote:
16 Sep 2019
If what you say is correct RDK has a bad design.
I just can’t use multiple outs and press the solo button.
As I have learned over the years there is often an alternative solution. In this instance, you can spend some time building a Combinator that routes the audio through a 14:2 mixer, which will not only then give you mute/solo capabilities, but also an easy way to control levels, treble & bass EQ for each piece of kit, as well as 4 x AUX FX that are more customizable to your taste, rather than being stuck with the onboard FX of that Rack Extension. You could also then assign things like delay FX on the snare & hats to be accessible right from the Combinator rotaries. It may seem like a bit of work, especially if you don't often play around in the 'back of the rack', but when you build it once, save the Combinator, you can use that for all future projects.
:D you really read the first post about that problem ?

He's using a 14:2 Mixer (I'm for example using seperate Mixerchannels of the mainmixer, so a 14:2 Mixer before is'nt helpfull)

And your workaround don't fix the problem of LED's that does'nt work without using first the mute or Solo-Buttons to bring them in. And for shure sometimes it's a better / shorter way to use the solo and mute buttons of the Drumdevice itselve. As example; because of it's integrated Effects (if needed).

So, no, it isn't really a workaround.

User avatar
ShelLuser
Posts: 137
Joined: 25 Aug 2019

Post 17 Sep 2019

JdA57 wrote:
17 Sep 2019
So, no, it isn't really a workaround.
It is.

If you mute (or solo) on the mixer then you won't trigger the "solo results in muting" bug.
--- :reason:
Using the 'Big trio': Ableton Live 10 suite (+ Push & Max 8), Reason 10 and Komplete 12.

superpop
Posts: 105
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 17 Sep 2019

Yes and no.

You can do that but in my case I want to try effects like amps, distortions, saturations, eqs or compressors after RDK Room channel and before the mixer.

In Reason we always have a way to make it work, but I hope PH fix the bug. And I really hope a new RE mixer device :puf_smile:

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7998
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 17 Sep 2019

Yes, it sounds like a bug, and yes there are workarounds.
Speaking only for myself, when I split drum out to the Big Mixer, I always solo and mute there because at that stage I'll be spending more time in the mixer or rack than with the instrument itself - especially when adding outside processing as you describe.
Selig Audio, LLC

superpop
Posts: 105
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 17 Sep 2019

selig wrote:
17 Sep 2019
Yes, it sounds like a bug, and yes there are workarounds.
Speaking only for myself, when I split drum out to the Big Mixer, I always solo and mute there because at that stage I'll be spending more time in the mixer or rack than with the instrument itself - especially when adding outside processing as you describe.
Yep.

Before Reason/Record I spent hours and hours in 14:2. Nowadays I don't have so much time.

Maybe that's why I still like it more than SSL.

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 155
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 17 Sep 2019

JdA57 wrote:
17 Sep 2019

:D you really read the first post about that problem ?
Yes. Did you read every other post ? :lol: He is solo'ing still using the RDK. If he were discussing a bug in the solo function if the 14:2, I'm sure that would have been uncovered in the past 20 years it's been around.

JdA57
Posts: 52
Joined: 20 Jul 2017

Post 17 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
17 Sep 2019
JdA57 wrote:
17 Sep 2019

:D you really read the first post about that problem ?
Yes. Did you read every other post ? :lol: He is solo'ing still using the RDK. If he were discussing a bug in the solo function if the 14:2, I'm sure that would have been uncovered in the past 20 years it's been around.
:roll: Yes, I read

I'm soloing / mute RDK too (read my post ) because I'd to do sometimes , (LED bug AND internal effect.!!)

And there is no workaround if I've to use it like that. But it's ok - think there is a problem with context here :D :D

And this bug now was found one week after releasing that RE, but never fixed up to today.

But I think you and some other users wanna be right, so:
:D :D you're right! :D :D :puf_bigsmile:

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1378
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 17 Sep 2019

JdA57 wrote:
17 Sep 2019
And there is no workaround if I've to use it like that.
but...that’s the definition of a workaround—you can’t do it the way you want to, so you have to do it a different way. 🤔

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 524
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 17 Sep 2019

Me: there is a problem with my car...
RT user forum: but you can walk to work
Me: I know but that does not fix the problem with my car
RT User forum: but you get to work if you tow your car after your bicycle

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1378
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 17 Sep 2019

gullum wrote:
17 Sep 2019
Me: there is a problem with my car...
RT user forum: but you can walk to work
Me: I know but that does not fix the problem with my car
RT User forum: but you get to work if you tow your car after your bicycle
has anyone here argued that using the workaround is better than fixing the bug?

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 524
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 17 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
17 Sep 2019
gullum wrote:
17 Sep 2019
Me: there is a problem with my car...
RT user forum: but you can walk to work
Me: I know but that does not fix the problem with my car
RT User forum: but you get to work if you tow your car after your bicycle
has anyone here argued that using the workaround is better than fixing the bug?
no :D but I just had to make a joke because it is so common to get a workaround offered

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1378
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 17 Sep 2019

gullum wrote:
17 Sep 2019
guitfnky wrote:
17 Sep 2019


has anyone here argued that using the workaround is better than fixing the bug?
no :D but I just had to make a joke because it is so common to get a workaround offered
:lol: can’t argue with you there!

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 155
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 17 Sep 2019

JdA57 wrote:
17 Sep 2019
:roll: Yes, I read

I'm soloing / mute RDK too (read my post ) because I'd to do sometimes , (LED bug AND internal effect.!!)

And there is no workaround if I've to use it like that. But it's ok - think there is a problem with context here :D :D

And this bug now was found one week after releasing that RE, but never fixed up to today.

But I think you and some other users wanna be right, so:
:D :D you're right! :D :D :puf_bigsmile:
It's of no consequence to me whether he takes the suggested steps or not. But forgive me for attempting to help a brother out with an immediate solution of sorts. I'm not interested in engaging in an online whinge-fest, but you go for it, if that's what makes you happy.

User avatar
Carly(Poohbear)
Posts: 2357
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Location: UK

Post 18 Sep 2019

I hope everyone who has repro the bug has reported it as that is the only way it will be fixed.

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1306
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 18 Sep 2019

I have encountered something similar in the past:
viewtopic.php?p=433561#p433561

Maybe it's related. But I used the "standard" setup without any extra breakouts.

Quoting myself:
diminished in the other thread wrote: [...] on one of my tracks where I used "Listen Mic Open", now there are only the hihats playing, although the GUI shows all of those triggered that [are] supposed to.
Strangely enough, I used a a few MIDI files from the RDK.
Switching presets and back again works, but now all of my mixing and tuning is gone. That sucks.
Wow, that was bad writing. Anyways, my current workaround is to switch presets, but then use Ctrl+Z and everything is back to normal.
:reason: Most recent track: The Test (feat. MrFigg) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•


  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests