Sampler vst recommendation

Discuss VST stuff here!
Barriott
Posts: 4
Joined: 19 Feb 2016

Post 11 Sep 2019

Greetings music makers

Could you recommend a decent sampler. I want to load up a sample, then spread the sample over the keyboard so that the sample has the relavent pitch but retains the originals time information. Time stretched!

Reason has a really decent time stretching algorithm and was rather hopeful that'd they'd be releasing a new sampler for R11 with time stretching.

I might be being totally dense abnd have missed something in the nn xt or grain...

Recommendations welcome x
Last edited by Barriott on 11 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 2312
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 11 Sep 2019

Kontakt is an immediate option. Though I'm sure some others may know of cheaper options.

User avatar
pongasoft
Posts: 181
Joined: 21 Apr 2016
Location: Las Vegas

Post 11 Sep 2019

You may want to take a look at Sam-Spl 64 https://pongasoft.com/vst/SAM-SPL64.html

It is free (and open source).

Although at the moment it doesn't do time stretching it lets you split the sample very easily into slices.

I am looking into adding time stretching at some point, especially if there is demand... not super trivial ;)

Yan

User avatar
ljekio
Posts: 668
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 11 Sep 2019

Kontakt the best platform, with maximum number of libraries.
And for self sampling it have many powerful tools.

RobC
Posts: 1120
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 11 Sep 2019

pongasoft wrote:
11 Sep 2019
You may want to take a look at Sam-Spl 64 https://pongasoft.com/vst/SAM-SPL64.html

It is free (and open source).

Although at the moment it doesn't do time stretching it lets you split the sample very easily into slices.

I am looking into adding time stretching at some point, especially if there is demand... not super trivial ;)

Yan
I think, when it comes to samplers, spreading with time stretching would be one of the most important features. At that final stage of sound design, I want the notes to be as clean as it gets. Changing pitch on its own creates an effect which I prefer for designing the sound.

I gotta say, I'm not sure if Reason's time stretch algorithms can easily be beaten. However, doing it all manually, is pretty annoying.

User avatar
ljekio
Posts: 668
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 11 Sep 2019

pongasoft wrote:
11 Sep 2019
You may want to take a look at Sam-Spl 64 https://pongasoft.com/vst/SAM-SPL64.html

It is free (and open source).

Although at the moment it doesn't do time stretching it lets you split the sample very easily into slices.

Yan
Interesting instrument. Must be good to have export to nn-xt or kong :)

zoidkirb
Posts: 137
Joined: 18 Nov 2018

Post 11 Sep 2019

Steinberg Halion 6 does a pretty good job at sampling includIng time stretch but it's pricey as it contains way more than just sampling , it's also very good at synthesis of various kinds.

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 755
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 11 Sep 2019

If "a" sample means "one" sample, the iZotope Iris2. It was free just a few days ago actually.
Harmor by IL can do this as well, but it is more difficult to understand as a VST.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

User avatar
Majestik Monkey
Posts: 622
Joined: 07 Jul 2015

Post 11 Sep 2019


User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 755
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 11 Sep 2019

By the way. If you're on a budget and just want to pitch a few chops and play with. Just load them into different Kong pads and wire up a Neptune for each pad and set the transpose in Neptune. It is "el cheapo" way. Works OK and cost is $0...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

User avatar
FiatLux
Posts: 68
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 11 Sep 2019

Sounds like you are looking for something like Serato Sample.
Loads one sample into it and will automatically put it at the right tempo (like in Live),
and has really clean sounding time-stretching, so if you change tempo it will lock to new tempo.
Also can slice up samples like Dr. Rex.
I was hoping a clip launcher would be a new feature in 11, but when I saw that it wasn't gonna happen, I picked this up.
Has been pretty useful.

https://serato.com/sample

reggie1979
Posts: 821
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 12 Sep 2019

FiatLux wrote:
11 Sep 2019
Sounds like you are looking for something like Serato Sample.
Loads one sample into it and will automatically put it at the right tempo (like in Live),
and has really clean sounding time-stretching, so if you change tempo it will lock to new tempo.
Also can slice up samples like Dr. Rex.
I was hoping a clip launcher would be a new feature in 11, but when I saw that it wasn't gonna happen, I picked this up.
Has been pretty useful.

https://serato.com/sample
I know I could just demo it, but does it work with reason?

reggie1979
Posts: 821
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 12 Sep 2019

A further search has revealed it does. I'll have to demo it as I feel confined in Kong a lot of the time (wish they would have made an update.

Looks like I'll be doing the demo :)

User avatar
FiatLux
Posts: 68
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 12 Sep 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
12 Sep 2019
FiatLux wrote:
11 Sep 2019
Sounds like you are looking for something like Serato Sample.
Loads one sample into it and will automatically put it at the right tempo (like in Live),
and has really clean sounding time-stretching, so if you change tempo it will lock to new tempo.
Also can slice up samples like Dr. Rex.
I was hoping a clip launcher would be a new feature in 11, but when I saw that it wasn't gonna happen, I picked this up.
Has been pretty useful.

https://serato.com/sample
I know I could just demo it, but does it work with reason?
Yes, it works great with Reason. Really easy to use too.

reggie1979
Posts: 821
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 12 Sep 2019

Buggy as hell here!

No drag/drop from the browser. Sometimes it's not in sync. Auto slice doesn't seem to work.

reggie1979
Posts: 821
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 12 Sep 2019

Doh! You have to set at and then hit the thingy below. Now I see.

Still no drag drop from the browser though.

reggie1979
Posts: 821
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 12 Sep 2019

Not to hijack this thread, but this seems like an awesome tool regardless of some shortcomings.

Here are a couple of good viddy's I found.





I'm not a super hip hop guy but his explanations are clear w/o hyperbole or nonsense.

User avatar
FiatLux
Posts: 68
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 12 Sep 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
12 Sep 2019
Doh! You have to set at and then hit the thingy below. Now I see.

Still no drag drop from the browser though.
True, no Drag and Drop from Reason browser, but works from system browser (Finder).

reggie1979
Posts: 821
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 12 Sep 2019

Thanks for confirming. Bummer as the "browser" allows to know what sampler you are dealing with.

reggie1979
Posts: 821
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 12 Sep 2019

Still, I think this is worth the coin. Many things that this does that Reason implants don't do. Especially if the discount applies..............

groggy1
Posts: 324
Joined: 10 Jun 2015

Post 13 Sep 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
12 Sep 2019
Buggy as hell here!

No drag/drop from the browser. Sometimes it's not in sync. Auto slice doesn't seem to work.
Sereto sample does have a problem (not being able to drag a sample from Reason's browser, like you say).

My workaround to that is to right click on the sample in Reason's browser and select "open folder". Then, I drag the sample from that folder directly into Sereto. Works great. (this is on Windows, FYI)

Other than that one pain, I've found it to be spectacular. If you just want to play a single sample across a 2-octave range, it does a PERFECT job of pitch-shifting without affecting timing. I have no idea how it works, but even better than Reason's timestretching.


Overall, I'd say it's one of those tools that I use in Reason to really have a different workflow. Gets me out of my funk when I get stuck creatively.

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 676
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 13 Sep 2019

groggy1 wrote:
13 Sep 2019

Sereto sample does have a problem (not being able to drag a sample from Reason's browser, like you say).

It's not a Seranto problem as such. I think it is the same with all VSTs in Reason. Just one more way in which Reason differs from other DAWs...

User avatar
mon
Posts: 164
Joined: 07 May 2018
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria

Post 13 Sep 2019

If you like Kong and don’t need additional instrument libraries, NI Battery would be perfect. It is very powerful and easy to use. For such tasks, Kontakt would be overkill - waste of money and time to learn it.
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 755
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 13 Sep 2019

You can of course go way past most plugins and get UVI Falcon and that IRCAM time stretch goodness. Falcon does so much that it is direct competitor to...here it comes... Reason Rack :shock:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

reggie1979
Posts: 821
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 13 Sep 2019

groggy1 wrote:
13 Sep 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
12 Sep 2019
Buggy as hell here!

No drag/drop from the browser. Sometimes it's not in sync. Auto slice doesn't seem to work.
Sereto sample does have a problem (not being able to drag a sample from Reason's browser, like you say).

My workaround to that is to right click on the sample in Reason's browser and select "open folder". Then, I drag the sample from that folder directly into Sereto. Works great. (this is on Windows, FYI)

Other than that one pain, I've found it to be spectacular. If you just want to play a single sample across a 2-octave range, it does a PERFECT job of pitch-shifting without affecting timing. I have no idea how it works, but even better than Reason's timestretching.


Overall, I'd say it's one of those tools that I use in Reason to really have a different workflow. Gets me out of my funk when I get stuck creatively.

Yeah, it's totally doable. I've been at the hospital all day with my dad. Thanks for quoting this so I can remember I have a cool new toy to play with!

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest