SL.FX.Tapedeck, my lo-fi effects toolkit

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
esselfortium

03 Jul 2019

I've decided to share a combinator patch I created a few years back for personal use. It's my secret-sauce effects patch for crusty tape effects, featured heavily on my releases PC LOVE LETTER and Transmission Control. It's great for vaporwave and lo-fi sounds.

Download SL.FX.Tapedeck: http://esselfortium.net/music/patches/S ... pedeck.cmb

It's an all-in-one toolkit that does all of the following:
- Pitch warble (with optional left/right differences, for a nice chorusy effect if you want)
- Panning drift
- Warming EQ
- Tape saturation and crunching
- Background hiss
- A magical "make the tape sound even more crusted up" Tape Quality knob
- Parallel processing!

Be sure to pop open the devices inside the Combinator, because some of the most important controls are accessed from the two Thors at the top of the device stack!

It has a dry/wet control inside so you can blend it subtly with your original signal. By default, the pitch warble affects both the dry and wet signals (to avoid turning it into a flanger) but this is also an option inside.

The "Tape Quality" knob is a special effect I made by modulating the signal together with a smeared and processed version of itself. This can get extremely crusty and crispy, and doesn't sound like any other device or patch that I'm aware of.

The "color" knob varies the EQ shape. I often just keep it at the default position, but it's there to play with.

This effect can be used on individual instruments that need a bit more "something", or on your entire mix if you want it to sound a bit more like you just found a tape that had been stashed under your car seat for the past 25 years. More subtle dry/wet settings can be useful to add lo-fi flavor without completely overwhelming the sound.

For best effect, try running your sounds through your favorite chorus or unison and a bit of reverb before you send them to SL.FX.Tapedeck.

Examples of this effect in actual songs:
Liminal Space - Deep and warm nocturnal vaporwave sounds, used on individual instruments and the stereo mixdown both.
Safe Shutdown - This song makes heavy use of SL.FX.Tapedeck's more intense crustiness features, including a bunch of automation of the dry/wet and tape-quality controls. You can hear the Tape Quality effect crunching up the bassline especially.
Disconnect - More subtle use for a Boards of Canada-style tape effect on guitar and synths.

Have fun!
Last edited by esselfortium on 03 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

sleep1979

03 Jul 2019

esselfortium wrote:
03 Jul 2019
I've decided to share a combinator patch I created a few years back for personal use. It's my secret-sauce effects patch for crusty tape effects, featured heavily on my releases PC LOVE LETTER and Transmission Control. It's great for vaporwave and lo-fi sounds.

- Pitch warble (with optional left/right differences, for a nice chorusy effect if you want)
- Panning drift
- Warming EQ
- Background hiss
- Parallel processing!

Be sure to pop open the devices inside the Combinator, because some of the most important controls are accessed from the two Thors at the top of the device stack!

It has a dry/wet control inside so you can blend it subtly with your original signal. By default, the pitch warble affects both the dry and wet signals (to avoid turning it into a flanger) but this is also an option inside.

The "Tape Quality" knob is a special effect I made by modulating the signal together with a smeared and processed version of itself. This can get extremely crusty and crispy, and doesn't sound like any other device or patch that I'm aware of.

The "color" knob varies the EQ shape. I often just keep it at the default position, but it's there to play with.

This effect can be used on individual instruments that need a bit more "something", or on your entire mix if you want it to sound a bit more like you just found a tape that had been stashed under your car seat for the past 25 years. More subtle dry/wet settings can be useful to add lo-fi flavor without completely overwhelming the sound.

For best effect, try running your sounds through your favorite chorus or unison and a bit of reverb before you send them to SL.FX.Tapedeck.

Liminal Space - Deep and warm nocturnal vaporwave sounds, used on individual instruments and the stereo mixdown both.
Safe Shutdown - This song makes heavy use of SL.FX.Tapedeck's more intense crustiness features, including a bunch of automation of the dry/wet and tape-quality controls. You can hear the Tape Quality effect crunching up the bassline especially.
Disconnect - More subtle use for a Boards of Canada-style tape effect on guitar and synths.

Have fun!
that is an absolutely magical patch sarah wow thanks so much for sharing that :-)
is there a way to save that combinator within a combinator ?
cheers

bxbrkrz

03 Jul 2019

Thank you. The details in the Combinator's skin is well crafted.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

WongoTheSane

03 Jul 2019

Only thing missing is the actual smell of the chromium dioxide... Thanks for sharing!

VariableX

03 Jul 2019

thanks can't wait to try it 👍🏼

sleep1979

04 Jul 2019

esselfortium wrote:
03 Jul 2019

- Panning drift
- Warming EQ
- Background hiss
- Parallel processing!

Have fun!
thanks so much sarah /essel its like you have given me a new vhs effect rack
extension , its so great i'm even gonna save the screenshot like a type of manual
you know I got rid of phonec a while ago coz I was using it a an effect but didn't like the overall sound of the synth ( and I prefer maia ( really love that synth ) and I actually prefer your effect its cleaner if you want it to be , or not if you want it to be
so if you have the time you could think about a vhs , tape retro , effect plug in like this
because it would probably do well .
there is only physic modulation in the vst world
Last edited by sleep1979 on 04 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

diminished
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2019

Thanks, Sarah! I'm really looking forward to playing with it once I'm back home. Bump!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Marco Raaphorst

04 Jul 2019

great job!!!

MannequinRaces

04 Jul 2019

These sound great! Thanks for sharing.

mon

04 Jul 2019

This is such a good work! Thanks for sharing :)
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

LmstPv

04 Jul 2019

Great work! Thank you very much!

Trefor

04 Jul 2019

Thanks, I'll check it out on the weekend.

friday

04 Jul 2019

Thanks!

retreed
Competition Winner

06 Jul 2019

Thank you very much for sharing this nice patch! :thumbs_up:

Quiloc Lim

09 Jul 2019

This is a great tool. It really helps to color what ever sound is run through it. Thank you for sharing.

• Information