Polyverse's GateKeeper $29

Discuss VST stuff here!
antic604

Post 13 May 2019

Image
Gatekeeper is the cutting edge of volume modulation. Capable of sample-fast transitions and equipped with a unique variable smoothing algorithm, Gatekeeper allows for drastic, punchy gating and sequencing while keeping the output smooth. Breathe new life into your audio with the most basic, yet impactful way: silence.
https://www.jrrshop.com/polyverse-gatekeeper

User avatar
reddust
Posts: 425
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 14 May 2019

Nice plugin, I really like the option to be able to put accent on some points of the process and the easy way to use keys to switch patterns.

antic604

Post 14 May 2019

reddust wrote:
14 May 2019
Nice plugin, I really like the option to be able to put accent on some points of the process and the easy way to use keys to switch patterns.
Have you tried using it as a complex LFO (an MSEG) taking advantage of its CV out? AFAIK when set to CV it outputs control voltage as an audio signal, so using something like this (https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... dio-to-cv/) we should be able to use the shape to modulate anything in Reason, not just volume?

Soeno
Posts: 227
Joined: 09 Dec 2017

Post 14 May 2019

nice device with some great presets

User avatar
reddust
Posts: 425
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 14 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
14 May 2019
Have you tried using it as a complex LFO (an MSEG) taking advantage of its CV out? AFAIK when set to CV it outputs control voltage as an audio signal, so using something like this (https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... dio-to-cv/) we should be able to use the shape to modulate anything in Reason, not just volume?
Looks very interesting, should be doable as well but didn't try that yet since I didn't even know we can do something like that in Reason, cool :)

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 824
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 14 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
14 May 2019
Have you tried using it as a complex LFO (an MSEG) taking advantage of its CV out? AFAIK when set to CV it outputs control voltage as an audio signal, so using something like this (https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... dio-to-cv/) we should be able to use the shape to modulate anything in Reason, not just volume?
An alternative is Movement by Blamsoft. (Maybe the Speo CV unit too). Movements display is small but you can drag the lines to make curves. It really good as a basic ADSR too and can control any parameter via its CV connection. Also does Audio out if you want to create wave forms that you can modulate via CV input (I.e. modular setup). CV on the time knob makes PWM of ANYTHING! :ugeek:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

EdGrip
Posts: 1552
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 15 May 2019

There are loads of devices in Reason that you can do this with.
Shape by Lectric Panda, SideChain ReAction, and Synchronous, to name but three. (though you can't trigger Synchronous as an MSEG).

Not that I'm saying it's a bad device or you shouldn't get it! Just that Reason is an environment which lends itself to crazy gating very well and you might already have something in the toolbox.

antic604

Post 15 May 2019

EdGrip wrote:
15 May 2019
Shape by Lectric Panda, SideChain ReAction, and Synchronous, to name but three. (though you can't trigger Synchronous as an MSEG).
I have all three, but - as I understand the theme of this sub-forum - we can post here info about interesting VSTs, especially if they're on sale :)

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2437
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
15 May 2019
EdGrip wrote:
15 May 2019
Shape by Lectric Panda, SideChain ReAction, and Synchronous, to name but three. (though you can't trigger Synchronous as an MSEG).
I have all three, but - as I understand the theme of this sub-forum - we can post here info about interesting VSTs, especially if they're on sale :)
Sorry, I haven't followed the discussion too closely, but I think people are just wondering what made you decide to invest in this VST when there are capable REs (that you even own) available. I would see it less as criticism and more as a chance to help us understand why precisely you feel it is superior to the native alternatives...

D.

antic604

Post 15 May 2019

eusti wrote:
15 May 2019
antic604 wrote:
15 May 2019


I have all three, but - as I understand the theme of this sub-forum - we can post here info about interesting VSTs, especially if they're on sale :)
Sorry, I haven't followed the discussion too closely, but I think people are just wondering what made you decide to invest in this VST when there are capable REs (that you even own) available. I would see it less as criticism and more as a chance to help us understand why precisely you feel it is superior to the native alternatives...

D.
We already addressed that elsewhere I think? I use other DAWs as well :)

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2437
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
15 May 2019
We already addressed that elsewhere I think? I use other DAWs as well :)
Indeed. How about using it in Reason? Any particular advantages of this device versus other devices? It’s totally ok, if you just feel “I like to have an additional tool in my belt”... Just want to learn and understand. :)

D.

antic604

Post 15 May 2019

eusti wrote:
15 May 2019
Indeed. How about using it in Reason? Any particular advantages of this device versus other devices?
I think it has higher precision than REs (although I wonder if 10.3 changes regarding CV timing won't affect that) going down to 1/128 and - allegedly - up to 20h on the other end. It seems easier to actually draw the shapes one wants, as e.g. with Synchronous I still can't fully understand how they're drawn and it's kind of trial & error :D Also the nodes are automatable, if that's required. Lastly, it can be triggered both by MIDI or synced to transport (which e.g. Shape LFO can do as well) and - when MIDI triggered - has a sustain loop, to loop a specified portion of the shape while the key is held.

So indeed, just another tool I guess :)

User avatar
ScuzzyEye
Posts: 1306
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
15 May 2019
I think it has higher precision than REs (although I wonder if 10.3 changes regarding CV timing won't affect that) going down to 1/128 and - allegedly - up to 20h on the other end.
Let's see:

At 120 bpm, there are 2 beats a second, so 1/128 would be 1/256th of a second, or 3.90 ms.

At a 44,100 Hz sample rate with a 64 sample buffer (pre-10.3 default). CV runs at 44,100/64 updates a second. That's 1/689th of a second, or an update every 1.45 ms.

So with a 64-frame buffer, CV updates are still over twice as fast as this device can go (which is good if you're doing audio to CV). But that'll half each time you double the buffer size. Going above a 128-frame buffer will make it so CV can't generate 1/128th notes at 120 bpm. But also audio to CV won't either.

User avatar
mjxl
Posts: 360
Joined: 23 Nov 2018

Post 15 May 2019

The fact that it's "designed" by Infected Mushroom should be sufficient to justify buying it ;)

Also the drawing is super easy to do, is there an RE that does this the same? Would be neat , if so.
:reason: 10+ :re:

antic604

Post 15 May 2019

mjxl wrote:
15 May 2019
Also the drawing is super easy to do, is there an RE that does this the same? Would be neat , if so.
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... generator/

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... fo-editor/

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... nchronous/

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... enveloper/

...to name just a few, although obviously specific features might not match :)

User avatar
mjxl
Posts: 360
Joined: 23 Nov 2018

Post 15 May 2019

/edit; oh shit, didn't read the freedrawing on Shape before lol. woops. also SideChain Reaction.
I've bought Movement because of the pack, but not really looked into it. Guess that's somewhat decent as well.

Synchronous doesn't really do it for me though, it's too static imo
:reason: 10+ :re:

User avatar
reddust
Posts: 425
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 15 May 2019

I'm also a guy who likes to "see" music, meaning not only an interface design but a graphic representation of time, that's one of the things that made get this plugin as well, then I see in real time where I am setting highs and lows. This is something I can't visualize so easily when working with Alligator, which doesn't mean I don't like but depending on what idea I have on my mind I will choose the one or the other.

And again the possibility to accentuate the velocity at a given time point and doing this visually as well as to switch patterns with easy key switch assignment make the plugin worth the (reduced) price for me. If I were to choose just one RE or plugin for this purpose I think I'd still take MRhythmizer by Melda Productions anyway.

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 824
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 15 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
15 May 2019
I have all three, but - as I understand the theme of this sub-forum - we can post here info about interesting VSTs, especially if they're on sale :)
Absolutely, and we appreciate it. We just discuss the alternatives as it all comes down to purchasing decisions - cost, what do I already have, what are the alternatives, workflow pro/cons. It is not a hit on you personally, it's just......discussion about plugins. :P
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests