Drawing notes - little known feature

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
dioxide

01 May 2019

If you draw a note in the main sequencer, you can hold the Shift key to move it up and down the keyscale. I've been using Reason for years and only discovered this yesterday! Try it!

BRIGGS

01 May 2019

dioxide wrote:
01 May 2019
If you draw a note in the main sequencer, you can hold the Shift key to move it up and down the keyscale. I've been using Reason for years and only discovered this yesterday! Try it!
r11s

WongoTheSane

02 May 2019

You have to keep the mouse pressed after the second click, then press Shift without releasing the mouse, and bingo, you can slide it up and down. Thanks dioxide, great tip!

diminished
Competition Winner

02 May 2019

This is great, thanks for the tip!

While we're at it:
Selecting a note or a group of notes, then using your arrow keys while pressing CTRL moves them either up or down, or sideways on the grid you defined.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

mjxl

02 May 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
02 May 2019
You have to keep the mouse pressed after the second click, then press Shift without releasing the mouse, and bingo, you can slide it up and down. Thanks dioxide, great tip!
And instead of double clicking, we can use Alt + click. Alt-Shift + click also works :mrgreen:

guitfnky

02 May 2019

I wish I was able to test this right now, because I’m not getting it...why would you need to hold shift when dragging a note up and down? or does this just lock it to its current position in time, so if you don’t have snap on, you don’t end up screwing up the timing?
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

WongoTheSane

02 May 2019

guitfnky wrote:
02 May 2019
I wish I was able to test this right now, because I’m not getting it...why would you need to hold shift when dragging a note up and down? or does this just lock it to its current position in time, so if you don’t have snap on, you don’t end up screwing up the timing?
It's not when you move a note, it's when you create it. Usually, if you double-click (or, as mjxl notes, alt-click) to create a note, keep the mouse pressed after the second click and move the mouse, it allows you to set its length. But now if you press Shift, you can instead change its note value.

shift.gif
shift.gif (21.7 KiB) Viewed 944 times

guitfnky

02 May 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
02 May 2019
guitfnky wrote:
02 May 2019
It's not when you move a note, it's when you create it. Usually, if you double-click (or, as mjxl notes, alt-click) to create a note, keep the mouse pressed after the second click and move the mouse, it allows you to set its length. But now if you press Shift, you can instead change its note value.

shift.gif
ah, got it now! I don’t manually add notes very often, so I didn’t even know you could drag to set the length when you create a note until just now. that’s two shortcuts for the price of one! 😆
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

WongoTheSane

03 May 2019

May Madness for tips! :D

• Information