automating volume on a track

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
carllackey

26 Apr 2019

how do you automate volume on an audio loop? i've tried seeing tutorials and it does'nt work for me. i'll have a track, hit right click on the volume slider on the mixer, hit record, then it records over the audio. this program has, for me, the most un intuitive automation!

PhillipOrdonez

26 Apr 2019

carllackey wrote:
26 Apr 2019
how do you automate volume on an audio loop? i've tried seeing tutorials and it does'nt work for me. i'll have a track, hit right click on the volume slider on the mixer, hit record, then it records over the audio. this program has, for me, the most un intuitive automation!
First, don't automate the mixer, either bus it up and automate that, or my approach would be to automate a gain utility instead.

If you are set to automate the mixer, make sure automation is armed and audio recording isn't. They are some circles on the sequencer in front of each channel.

Edit: alt click the parameter and that will create an automation lane for it, just so you know.

ScuzzyEye

26 Apr 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
26 Apr 2019
First, don't automate the mixer, either bus it up and automate that, or my approach would be to automate a gain utility instead.
Not a bad tip, but you should also explain the reasoning for this recommendation.

If you're automating volume for an effect, it's better to not use the main mixer channel of the track, but use an alternate destination. The is because you're likely to want to adjust the level independent of the automation at some point during mixing. If you send the track to a bus, and adjust the volume there, you can use the channel's volume later in the mix. Or if you have the Selig Gain RE, you can add that as an insert in the channel, and automate it, while leaving the channel for mixing.

The rest of the info was good. Alt-Click on what ever control you want record, to create an automation lane in the sequencer. Make sure the red, record arm light is on for the control(s) you want to record, and hit the record button. Now move the controls and the automation lane will track the movements.

antic604

26 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
26 Apr 2019
...Or if you have the Selig Gain RE...
Or get the free kHs Gain: https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... /khs-gain/

Although's Selig's one is highly recommended and has many more useful features :)

PhillipOrdonez

26 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
26 Apr 2019

The rest of the info was good.
Thanks! But hey, it was all good, albeit incomplete, but still good, innit? :)

carllackey

26 Apr 2019

thank you gentlemen! im used to working in tracktion waveform and studio one. i'm determined to learn reason!! lol!

• Information