Sending Demo's to Record Companies.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
RobC

15 Mar 2019

selig wrote:
14 Mar 2019
RobC wrote:
14 Mar 2019
Not long ago, there was a video posted, where a lawyer explained, that actually even the time stamp DAWs add, is perfectly enough for basic rights.
Though it seems, that it's pointless to gamble with music, so not much to worry about copyright.
One lawyer's post does not a law make...

I don't know about other countries, but in the US your work is protected from the moment you create it. I've never heard of any of these alternative approaches holding up in court. My lawyers have also said otherwise through the years. Always consult a lawyer if you're interested in know what applies to you in your country.

If you'd like to post links that say otherwise, I'm happy to check them out.
I don't know that much about the whole process. When I still had that naive enthusiasm in me, I just simply checked copyrighting in my country directly. Just gotta fill in a form, pay a fee, and done. Then get a product code and another code for the music, which some basic indie labels take care of for a one time fee, and it's ready to go. Gaining a few dozens of views after pestering acquaintances and friends. xD ~ Kidding, I never got, not even to the copyrighting part, cause I wanted to see what my chances are. Well, writing top notch music and beating mainstream is easy, and everyone knows that. Promoting, selling is a whole other category and a profession of its own.

That's where a manager could come in handy. But again, that also needs the right connections to find a fair and good one. Something I'd never "google". That would be like looking for a wife or husband on google for instant marriage.

Personally, I'm not really sure if I still want to get into the music business. The science behind creating from scratch may intrigue people in the audio field, but the audience won't care at all. Which might lead me to focus on creating "tools" instead of music itself, or do odd-jobs in the audio field; but I'm afraid a day job still pays far better.

miscend

15 Mar 2019

pushedbutton wrote:
12 Mar 2019
Most labels are pretty risk averse. They want sales before investment. I'd get your stuff on something like bandcamp and shamelessly promote as much as you can, then approach labels with stats and figures, if they've already heard of you or know someone who had they're more likely to listen.
Personally I can't be arsed.
This!

From what I've heard these days record labels wont sign anybody without a solid fanbase. So you need to have a following on all social media.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2019

bitley wrote:
12 Mar 2019
As for my pop music work I sent that to a very local radio channel which resulted in some airplay which got me STIM payments (the swedish rights organisation, doing similar work as BMI / ASCAP).
STIM rock!!! I got a payment of 142 spänn (€13) a couple of months ago for a tune i wrote and recorded for a film and radio show over 6 years ago. Ha ha ha. Now what should I invest that in? :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bitley

15 Mar 2019

Refills! :D

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2019

bitley wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Refills! :D
Coolt. What can you sell me för 142 pix? Ha ha
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ