What is the lack of REASON?

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 570
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 26 Mar 2019

diekehle wrote:
25 Mar 2019
Skeuomorphism is dead since years, they should refactor the GUI of the application and move it to the next stage.
While I agree that skeumorphism as a design choice has massively waned in popularity over the past decade or so, I think a large part of Reason's appeal is directly tied to its immediately recognisable rack interface. Everybody knows how cables work, and even if you don't know how certain devices work in Reason you can still flip the rack around and get immediate visual feedback on how everything's connected. I agree that it can get messy, though - but flattening the rack in favour of a less skeumorphic look seems a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

There are definitely areas where Reason could see some improvement interface-wise, but I think gutting the rack for something less skeumorphic would essentially rob Reason of the very thing that makes it unique in the first place.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 8112
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 26 Mar 2019

adfielding wrote:
diekehle wrote:
25 Mar 2019
Skeuomorphism is dead since years, they should refactor the GUI of the application and move it to the next stage.
While I agree that skeumorphism as a design choice has massively waned in popularity over the past decade or so, I think a large part of Reason's appeal is directly tied to its immediately recognisable rack interface. Everybody knows how cables work, and even if you don't know how certain devices work in Reason you can still flip the rack around and get immediate visual feedback on how everything's connected. I agree that it can get messy, though - but flattening the rack in favour of a less skeumorphic look seems a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

There are definitely areas where Reason could see some improvement interface-wise, but I think gutting the rack for something less skeumorphic would essentially rob Reason of the very thing that makes it unique in the first place.
I agree, and at this point it’s long past the point where Reason could ditch the current UI approach. REs alone are pretty much set in stone - can you imagine getting all the devices updated by all the devs (some that are no longer living or at least not interested in the format)?

Even if you’re just talking about the back panel, it would be a minor nightmare - and to what end? At best, any alternative UI would be a lateral move IMO.

The way I see it, there would have to be so many ground level changes required to get away from the skeuomorphic approach as to make it more logical just to create a brand new DAW from the ground up.



Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1195
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 26 Mar 2019

"Skeuomorphism is dead" is such a silly comment. All it means is "I don't like it because it's currently out of fashion"

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 791
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 27 Mar 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
26 Mar 2019
"Skeuomorphism is dead" is such a silly comment. All it means is "I don't like it because it's currently out of fashion"
It's a pretty silly word too! I can't speak for others but I still enjoy the wobbling cables whenever I flip the rack around. It's entirely unnecessary but it's a nice little touch. And if you don't like them you can always grey them out, or hide them completely, or just hide the autorouted ones.

User avatar
Oberlai
Posts: 37
Joined: 04 Oct 2017

Post 27 Mar 2019

- Reason lacks good presets, I never use them. Ever. This is a matter of taste I guess.

- The Combinator came very early (3.0) and it is no longer fit for 2019. Heck, it wasn't even fit for 2012 - it really needs expanding.

- Curves (automation)

Edit: The LFO in Europa is a nice addition and can be used to modulate other devices, but where is snap-to-grid? Reset curve? Just feels really awkward to work with, so I tend just skip the whole device.
Last edited by Oberlai on 27 Mar 2019, edited 4 times in total.

sleep1979

Post 27 Mar 2019

Oberlai wrote:
27 Mar 2019
- Reason lacks good presets, I never use them. Ever. This is a matter of taste I guess.

- The Combinator came very early (3.0) and it is no longer fit for 2019. Heck, it wasn't even fit for 2012 - it really needs expanding.

- Curves
There are some good presets in there you would be surprised( factory soundbank )and probably there are a lot of developers u probably rate making patches for the soundbank ( see how many people can name ) but what basic soundbank is as good as the better paid for soundbanks ? Only logics alchemy really because it has all the premium banks built or least i think it does i havent tried it since they stole it from me

diekehle
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Jan 2018

Post 02 Apr 2019

So there are many who quoted back. I will try to pin point everything, please keep in mind that i am not a english native speaker.

At first i never said to ditch everything. I was just saying it is unuseable in todays perspective. I like the rack idea and the wires but they are old code which i guess nobody wants to touch because it would brake a lot of stuff. I know this in nearlly every company i worked for, everybody has this „old dirty code“ somewhere that nobody wants to touch. It is possible to have the racks and wires, but not in this technological fashion. Built it technological new with new ideas.

Second i work in the design industry since 1996 and in the UX industry since 2007. I am not a fancy doll with stupid ideas, i am a realistic person who works closely with devs. My perspective reflects my experience in the software industry. So maybe there lies my hard opinion about reason grounded.

adfielding wrote:
26 Mar 2019

While I agree that skeumorphism as a design choice has massively waned in popularity over the past decade or so, I think a large part of Reason's appeal is directly tied to its immediately recognisable rack interface. Everybody knows how cables work, and even if you don't know how certain devices work in Reason you can still flip the rack around and get immediate visual feedback on how everything's connected. I agree that it can get messy, though - but flattening the rack in favour of a less skeumorphic look seems a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

There are definitely areas where Reason could see some improvement interface-wise, but I think gutting the rack for something less skeumorphic would essentially rob Reason of the very thing that makes it unique in the first place.

So because all of you like it, defend it, does it mean it is good? I work with a lot of young devs (20 -27) out there and some are making music, they consider it complicated, even people who has some or way more clues about daw software say this. Buddies of mine using Logic and they used everything, while others are on hardware only. So when somebody is calling a product complicated it means they will use another one which is better to use. Apple does a good job here they create a good transition between garrage band and logic by reducing cognitive load. A skeuomorphic approach was used by apple for the iOS UI to create an easier adaption to all sorts of people to use a new interface used by touch.

I guess that the functionalities that you love so much could also be created with better and newer technologies. It hasn‘t changed, ever. Imagine iOS or Windows in their first version still today.

I have seen this with adobe currently. While back in the days everybody was thinking by buying Macromedia at the time nobody could compete anymore against Adobe. Than Sketch popes out and took the whole interface and webmarket. There are others Affinity, Flinto, Invision, Zeplin, Abstract which are now funded with millions because UX is going way more important in the software industry.
selig wrote:
26 Mar 2019

I agree, and at this point it’s long past the point where Reason could ditch the current UI approach. REs alone are pretty much set in stone - can you imagine getting all the devices updated by all the devs (some that are no longer living or at least not interested in the format)?

Even if you’re just talking about the back panel, it would be a minor nightmare - and to what end? At best, any alternative UI would be a lateral move IMO.

The way I see it, there would have to be so many ground level changes required to get away from the skeuomorphic approach as to make it more logical just to create a brand new DAW from the ground up.
Like i said above this is maybe old code but technologies changes. In the end they can rely on it as long as they want but in the end it will need to take the next step, someday. A lot of VSTs may not work on the next mac version because they won‘t support 32 bit anymore. It is another thing but like i said environments change. Softwares need to adapt and evolve. Not only platform-wise but also in marketing, where everybody is telling you how easy it is. We know music isn‘t easy there is more behind the curtain.

My guess is that the graphics are the main isuess in performance on mac at least. It needs to be drawn by the applications core, make images scrollable, flipable, animated and all the other stuff thats going on while being in sync with the music, so what happens when the graphic card glitches? Just a guess.

Instead of having this i would like to have more performance and a more usable interface. It is used since... forever. So therefore i guess the basework havn‘t changed that much? As a software company you need to adapt new technologies and move on. If you hold still others will get you. The REs in the store could be updated, too. If the developer are still interessted in supporting the plattform. ;) I didn‘t heard iOS devs cry when iOS7 was coming out.
boingy wrote:
27 Mar 2019

It's a pretty silly word too! I can't speak for others but I still enjoy the wobbling cables whenever I flip the rack around. It's entirely unnecessary but it's a nice little touch. And if you don't like them you can always grey them out, or hide them completely, or just hide the autorouted ones.
I like the cables, too. But ask yourself it is any better than it was in Reason 5? Is there any improvement? Your own colored cables to get it organized?, multikabel to get it organized or any new stuff on the back of the rack to make it organized?. Thats what i am talking about, they should ask their self things like that, they haven‘t.
dvdrtldg wrote:
26 Mar 2019
"Skeuomorphism is dead" is such a silly comment. All it means is "I don't like it because it's currently out of fashion"
Because i was dropping skeuomorphism is dead, it doesn‘t mean i want something „trendy“ like other silly teen designers. All it means is that your comment is way more unusable than you thought.

calebbrennan
Posts: 249
Joined: 16 Aug 2016

Post 03 Apr 2019

Reason has everything you need to create an amazing track in one program. Period

The only thing lacking is the graphic resolution.

I'm still on a 22 inch monitor but I would love to be able to have larger screen with clean resolution,
maybe even projecting it on the wall.,

calebbrennan
Posts: 249
Joined: 16 Aug 2016

Post 03 Apr 2019

I've been at sessions using protools Logic or live and I didn't like the workflow.
I'm sure I am prejudiced
Yet each of you would not be on this forum if you didn't think
Reason was unique.

calebbrennan
Posts: 249
Joined: 16 Aug 2016

Post 03 Apr 2019

I am terrified of skeuomorphism. it sounds like a disease! I hope it doesn't eat me.

I

Steedus
Posts: 248
Joined: 31 Aug 2015

Post 03 Apr 2019

I still like it. It's the reason I continue to use Reason frankly.

diekehle
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Jan 2018

Post 03 Apr 2019

Steedus wrote:
03 Apr 2019
I still like it. It's the reason I continue to use Reason frankly.
Style is a choice, technological change a driver in a company which Propellerhead may not have.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1271
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 03 Apr 2019

If you want another concept there are plenty of alternative DAWs...

The really interesting thing though, is that while you and others may consider Reason to be somewhat "dated", although I don't know why, some people keep using the technology we had long before this software studio concept came out; even long before we had internet – these people use hardware sequencers or Atari computers / old PC or Mac systems dedicated to MIDI sequencing, Akai S-900s, JV-1080s, TX-81Z modules. Even Proteus modules are still being traded daily on Ebay to reach happy new users. Can you believe that?

Classic drum machines and analog synths are trending more than ever, and the 1980 Roland Jupiter 8 goes for around $8,000 these days. New hardware equipment is also coming in a steady flow; there's Elektron, the Akai Force, Behringer's Deepmind 12, Roland JD-XA – and amazingly, the once bankrupt and tragically disappeared legendary synthesizer companies Moog and Sequential lives again!

A conclusion is that you can be creative making electronic music in so many different ways today – with Reason being just one of the possible routes to choose.

If you rather would use something else, go ahead, or you could combine different methods like many of us do.

In my activities and meetings with other musicians there's a lot of people still today going - oh Reason you say? I've never tried that, I am completely locked in on using Cubase / Ableton Live / ProTools / Logic etc and my hw synths. Or, like I said, they might not even be using a computer at all – or just for the purpose of being a DAT / 2 inch reel-to-reel mastering machine replacement.

And then there's a whole world of people who has replaced the computer with iPads, happily making music with the plethora of apps – mindblowing really. And that's the niche Reason could be destined for to reach new user groups.

diekehle
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Jan 2018

Post 03 Apr 2019

bitley wrote:
03 Apr 2019
If you want another concept there are plenty of alternative DAWs...

The really interesting thing though, is that while you and others may consider Reason to be somewhat "dated", although I don't know why, some people keep using the technology we had long before this software studio concept came out; even long before we had internet – these people use hardware sequencers or Atari computers / old PC or Mac systems dedicated to MIDI sequencing, Akai S-900s, JV-1080s, TX-81Z modules. Even Proteus modules are still being traded daily on Ebay to reach happy new users. Can you believe that?

Classic drum machines and analog synths are trending more than ever, and the 1980 Roland Jupiter 8 goes for around $8,000 these days. New hardware equipment is also coming in a steady flow; there's Elektron, the Akai Force, Behringer's Deepmind 12, Roland JD-XA – and amazingly, the once bankrupt and tragically disappeared legendary synthesizer companies Moog and Sequential lives again!

A conclusion is that you can be creative making electronic music in so many different ways today – with Reason being just one of the possible routes to choose.

If you rather would use something else, go ahead, or you could combine different methods like many of us do.

In my activities and meetings with other musicians there's a lot of people still today going - oh Reason you say? I've never tried that, I am completely locked in on using Cubase / Ableton Live / ProTools / Logic etc and my hw synths. Or, like I said, they might not even be using a computer at all – or just for the purpose of being a DAT / 2 inch reel-to-reel mastering machine replacement.

And then there's a whole world of people who has replaced the computer with iPads, happily making music with the plethora of apps – mindblowing really. And that's the niche Reason could be destined for to reach new user groups.

Yes my brother is one of them, still using only old hardware which is nice. From Original 808 to Juno 60. And he is using ableton to record his stuff. He isn't using Reason. All the people i know aren't using Reason. They use hardware or Logic and Live. So what is the lack of reason? It is the topic here and i just brought up my opinion on it.

I said that the technology they use to draw the interface is dated, still using bitmaps? In an interface? On Objective-C? Really? Web is already transitioned to vector based interfaces with SVG or fonts for icons. Again i don't say that the rack idea is stupid i just say is old in terms of technology which is used to create it. Imagine the same workflows and stories but with a vector based GUI. But nobody wants that, ok.

The main point is, i was suggesting that Reason has never evolved their features. They feel, look and work like they did in the first versions. Why should i use a DAW when nothing in the past years have evolved in that direction? They didn't iterate their feature-set. As a software company you need to evolve your features to provide a better usage for your user base. People complaining all over the place regarding the workflow, the interface, the glitches and so on. Apple released the first Retina Display in 2012. We know where we are currently, right?

In todays perspective a iterative, agile development is important, new companies pop up and deliver new ideas and workflows, if Propellerhead wants new and keep old customers they need to adapt, otherwise they go down. An iOS App won't bring them a huge amount of new users, when the core product isn't working like the app did. The Europa App is a good direction and a really good app. But where is the same careful taking of the core product in the last years? Where is the improvement of the Rack cables, there could be done a lot. But instead they creating new REs or other "Deals". And we are still siting there and waiting for 10.2 to come out to have a bit of workflow improvements or waiting for 11 to have finally a new interface GUI which runs smoothly. But ok lets work with it like it is reason 5. Because technological changes are stupid and old code is cool code because older users like it. I don't see the benefit here.

User avatar
Djstarski
Posts: 295
Joined: 20 Jan 2015

Post 03 Apr 2019

diekehle wrote:
03 Apr 2019
bitley wrote:
03 Apr 2019
If you want another concept there are plenty of alternative DAWs...

The really interesting thing though, is that while you and others may consider Reason to be somewhat "dated", although I don't know why, some people keep using the technology we had long before this software studio concept came out; even long before we had internet – these people use hardware sequencers or Atari computers / old PC or Mac systems dedicated to MIDI sequencing, Akai S-900s, JV-1080s, TX-81Z modules. Even Proteus modules are still being traded daily on Ebay to reach happy new users. Can you believe that?

Classic drum machines and analog synths are trending more than ever, and the 1980 Roland Jupiter 8 goes for around $8,000 these days. New hardware equipment is also coming in a steady flow; there's Elektron, the Akai Force, Behringer's Deepmind 12, Roland JD-XA – and amazingly, the once bankrupt and tragically disappeared legendary synthesizer companies Moog and Sequential lives again!

A conclusion is that you can be creative making electronic music in so many different ways today – with Reason being just one of the possible routes to choose.

If you rather would use something else, go ahead, or you could combine different methods like many of us do.

In my activities and meetings with other musicians there's a lot of people still today going - oh Reason you say? I've never tried that, I am completely locked in on using Cubase / Ableton Live / ProTools / Logic etc and my hw synths. Or, like I said, they might not even be using a computer at all – or just for the purpose of being a DAT / 2 inch reel-to-reel mastering machine replacement.

And then there's a whole world of people who has replaced the computer with iPads, happily making music with the plethora of apps – mindblowing really. And that's the niche Reason could be destined for to reach new user groups.

Yes my brother is one of them, still using only old hardware which is nice. From Original 808 to Juno 60. And he is using ableton to record his stuff. He isn't using Reason. All the people i know aren't using Reason. They use hardware or Logic and Live. So what is the lack of reason? It is the topic here and i just brought up my opinion on it.

I said that the technology they use to draw the interface is dated, still using bitmaps? In an interface? On Objective-C? Really? Web is already transitioned to vector based interfaces with SVG or fonts for icons. Again i don't say that the rack idea is stupid i just say is old in terms of technology which is used to create it. Imagine the same workflows and stories but with a vector based GUI. But nobody wants that, ok.

The main point is, i was suggesting that Reason has never evolved their features. They feel, look and work like they did in the first versions. Why should i use a DAW when nothing in the past years have evolved in that direction? They didn't iterate their feature-set. As a software company you need to evolve your features to provide a better usage for your user base. People complaining all over the place regarding the workflow, the interface, the glitches and so on. Apple released the first Retina Display in 2012. We know where we are currently, right?

In todays perspective a iterative, agile development is important, new companies pop up and deliver new ideas and workflows, if Propellerhead wants new and keep old customers they need to adapt, otherwise they go down. An iOS App won't bring them a huge amount of new users, when the core product isn't working like the app did. The Europa App is a good direction and a really good app. But where is the same careful taking of the core product in the last years? Where is the improvement of the Rack cables, there could be done a lot. But instead they creating new REs or other "Deals". And we are still siting there and waiting for 10.2 to come out to have a bit of workflow improvements or waiting for 11 to have finally a new interface GUI which runs smoothly. But ok lets work with it like it is reason 5. Because technological changes are stupid and old code is cool code because older users like it. I don't see the benefit here.
I`ve noticed that you do not mention what music can be created with Reason . just how it looks compared to other software . What codes are used to program the software .

I`ve been making a good living using Reason as is, not about how it looks .
Reason has a lot more features compared to the hardware of yesteryear and that is good enough for me . One more thing , which faders do you like the look of Reasons or ableton live ?

User avatar
Biolumin3sc3nt
Posts: 503
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 03 Apr 2019

What is the lack of Reason?... only your imagination

mcatalao
Posts: 1083
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 03 Apr 2019

diekehle wrote:
25 Mar 2019
As an interface designer for apps and working as a freelancer in the software industry for 15 years i have to say that Reason lacks much on performance and UI which results in a bad workflow for the user. Besides this it is one of the most flexibel DAW also considering that there could be done way more on MIDI. The Noodles on the back were fun in 2000 but today they are a huge part of performance issues on Macs and a bad UI handle. Sometimes you just don't see if a plug is set or not because of noodles everywhere. Skeuomorphism is dead since years, they should refactor the GUI of the application and move it to the next stage. But i guess there is much, much legacy code in it which they don't want to touch because it would explode. But we see that there is a lot of happening and what they do is tough, merging everything external gear, VST, REs and so on is a complex product but it needs to be brought to the next level and be more useable.
Well there's that... Don't you agree that when you design something you should do it in context. IMHO the context for apps is completely different than for music stuff. The proof is that most VST creators still inspire themselves on hardware devices that existed already 40 years ago, because they are functionally relevant. Waves, had a bunch of different devices that escaped from the hardware imaging, and yet, the latest years additions with emulation stuff like SSL channel strips, compressor, guitar effects and so on, took a completely different approach and are again as similar as possible to a real device.

Same for Softube (Tape, TubeTechs, etc), McDsp, U-He, UAD, etc, etc... And to be honest, from Ozone 7 to 8 Izotope did a huge mistake painting the vintage effects completely dark, when in the previous versions these devices were very similar to the real deal (and yet, the controls and eq curves of those devices are just the same, so to some extent the hardware is still conditioning this design).

mcatalao
Posts: 1083
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 03 Apr 2019

diekehle wrote:
02 Apr 2019
Second i work in the design industry since 1996 and in the UX industry since 2007. I am not a fancy doll with stupid ideas, i am a realistic person who works closely with devs. My perspective reflects my experience in the software industry. So maybe there lies my hard opinion about reason grounded.
I'm sorry but this still does not validate what you're saying.
I mean no disrespect to you but IMHO your experience with UX only applies to Reason if you've been working in the UX of music applications. I'm not saying you did or didn't, and i don't like to assume stuff, so I'll back this with new software that still uses the hardware design approach.

Starting by daws, most of them still use some sort of "hidden" Skeumorphism even if it is only for the placement of known controls. You just look at any Daw's Mixer and there is not a big distance from real mixers. Yes, faders can be flatter or sends be little slots instead of buttons, but the hardware inspiration is still there:

Example, harrison mixbus.
Image

You still have the same look as a console channel strip.

Mixbus is branded and promoted as a console inspired daw. But lets look at mixers of other daws, and most of the concept of old mixers are still there:

Image
Again, faders, 3d buttons, and the most evident different from hardware option are the routing slots.

Logic Audio:
Image

But even Studio One, wich is one of the most recent daws:
Image

Or Bitwig:
Image

Still keep their mixers quite similar to "real life" mixers. Mind that the pan module is a touch panel on a lot of mixers now too, and was something seen in Cubase and Protools almost from the beginning.

Now lets look at recent VST's:

Softube Tape:
Image

What about U-He Satin?
Image

Lets look at instruments... Ample even has guitars and ukuleles that you control with a mouse:
Image

And UAD long list of devices:
Image

Or the new craziness of Modular Synths with front cables:
VCV Rack:
Image

Softube Modular:
Image

IMHO daws are taking a really nice approach to design, whereas Skeumorphism is used where it makes sense (instruments, effects and mixer) but on the Sequencer, they are all evolving a lot with better and better designs every day.

Reason had a big design review on the Sequencer's design in Reason 7 or 8 with a more flatter take on the different objects of the sequencer, so they are not completely stopped regarding the design issue, and that can also be seen in the Reason IOs app.

But as others said, the rack and cabling goes beyond any design option today. If the rack disappeared reason would not be reason anymore.

PS.: Regarding the vector imaging and resolution i agree with you.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1271
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 03 Apr 2019

One thing Propellerhead always could do to add elements of surprise and new input would be themes for the NN19, Subtractor, Redrum and Malström say with a collection of new patches programmed for / going along with events in Stockholm, horror music, indian music, space travels or something even more esotheric - including a set of inspiring graphical UIs matching this and then becoming selectable by the help of a new button next to the folder button for instance. Adding a foldable patch panel on the front bottom row of the interfaces to make things even more modular and exciting. I'd absolutely love that. Even the rack wooden sides could come with more materials accesed by clicking and holding on the wood panel so a small pop up with selections like in Adobe Illustrator could show up, perhaps even a little design box like in the first MacOS desktop pattern selector - and you can paint your own rack background and / or side panel with 10 different colours and a 300x300 pixel editor. Sweet and fun.

diekehle
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Jan 2018

Post 19 Aug 2019

Funny to come back and have a look on that. Maybe what i tried to say didn't came out. What i say and now i am using a Macbook Pro i9, 32 GB Ram and the Interface is laggy and therefore the workflow is horrorable. It is not the concept of racks and skeuomorphism was pisses me the most. It is the usage of old technology to draw the interface. Just look on that nearly 300 mb folder which contains bitmaps assets to create the Interface and needs to push around by the grahic card or that i have to run Reason in low res mode on mac. This all is old, crappy, fragile old code. Don't tell me otherwise i see enough of it on my clients.

Had put in much efforts in Reason and was hopeful since they run VST finally. I only come back making music because of it. But i always run into solutions for other DAWs when i search for Solutions on Reason. This should be embarrassing for PH.

Bye, Bye Reason. I may find my solution in Logic or Ableton in my next Project. Since they had the right direction in technologie and CX.

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2557
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 19 Aug 2019

Yeah it seems more of like it's out of fashion being the primary complaint.
But that shouldn't matter since Reason's entire premise is out of fashion & analog.
Producer/Sound Designer.

jlgrimes
Posts: 381
Joined: 06 Jun 2017

Post 19 Aug 2019

exxx wrote:
19 Feb 2019
I still use REASON and think it's usable, but there are many DAWs in the world

There are various daws, and every DAW has its own characteristics.

However, some DAWs have a relatively large number of users.

In Korea I have very few users of Reason.

What parts of REASON are lacking?

I would like to hear from people who use REASON with other DAWs.
My biggest gripes:


1. ArrangeView Tracks not resizable. I would like to maximize and be able to view like one track on the monitor. GUI as a whole needs improvement, but IMO the area where it mostly affects workflow is the ArrangeView. (GUI)

2. Lack of Track Freeze. (Workflow, performance)

3. Sometimes the literal Free Routing concept in Reason can be cumbersome as you have to keep track of the weird routings and isolating a kick drum channel on a Kong channel can feel like a chore, compared to an Ableton Drum Rack. (Workflow)

4. Piano Roll could use improvements in a paintbrush like tool and better keybindings for changing grid resolution. (Workflow)

5. Certain modules and aspects of the programs starting to feel dated. I understand legacy devices like the Subtractor and Malstrom as they have gave us plenty of use as is. But devices like the NN19, NNXT, even the Dr. OctoRex in many areas need to be brought up to par with other DAW Samplers. I'm mainly referring to GUI, Waveform Editing built-in. Also the Filters could use improvement and could offer more options. Reason also needs to beef up their MClass devices, Combinator device. MClass compressor and EQ really needs to be improved. SSL channel EQs and Compressors help but a good "clean, utilitarian" EQ/Compressor with adjustable knee curves, signal detection styles and such would be nice. A good multiband EQ with user selectable shapes, Spectrum analysis, and the ability to make huge cuts and boosts at various Q settings would help. (Workflow/GUI)

User avatar
gdm41
Posts: 75
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 19 Aug 2019

For me its just the workflow and the outdated gui. Its very hard for me to keep an overview of my project in reason. Too many devices, too many knobs ^^ now with the players even more stuff need my attention. And I always fail with the muting and soloing buttons, i know theres a concept behind it but it make no sense for me and confuses me. Reason is good for experimenting but doin a whole song in Reason is very hard for me and takes ages. I also use Studio One and its workflow is so nice streamlined.
Start lending-> http://www.kiva.org

zoidkirb
Posts: 205
Joined: 18 Nov 2018

Post 19 Aug 2019

diekehle wrote:
19 Aug 2019
Funny to come back and have a look on that. Maybe what i tried to say didn't came out. What i say and now i am using a Macbook Pro i9, 32 GB Ram and the Interface is laggy and therefore the workflow is horrorable. It is not the concept of racks and skeuomorphism was pisses me the most. It is the usage of old technology to draw the interface. Just look on that nearly 300 mb folder which contains bitmaps assets to create the Interface and needs to push around by the grahic card or that i have to run Reason in low res mode on mac. This all is old, crappy, fragile old code. Don't tell me otherwise i see enough of it on my clients.

Had put in much efforts in Reason and was hopeful since they run VST finally. I only come back making music because of it. But i always run into solutions for other DAWs when i search for Solutions on Reason. This should be embarrassing for PH.

Bye, Bye Reason. I may find my solution in Logic or Ableton in my next Project. Since they had the right direction in technologie and CX.
Because you came out with a bit of an inflammatory statement (skeomorphism is dead) and people didn't get past that. Afterwards you mentioned really useful insights into what a true 'hd update' could and should look/behave like. HD update is easily one of the top requests on every Reason forum I've seen. I'm hoping it's not just a simple resolution update but rather they expand the idea of the rack while considering things like better performance/fps, cable management, shortcuts and more customization.
The first sets of cv cables you run at the start of sound design sessions are always fast to run and easy to keep neat but after 30 minutes you could be looking at a pixelated mess spending more time on deciphering where the cable belongs than making the actual connection.

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 904
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 19 Aug 2019

Well if you hate a GUI looking like gear, then look at Tracktion 10 and their generic plugin collection. Eh, better?
I don't mind old school UI or nice modern like the new Reaktor and Massive X, I have a nice UI mix in my tool box, and I'm happy about that.

UI scaling is of course nice to have and it will be a necessity for the future. (AIR Music - you listening?! :lol: )
Tracktion 10.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Chizmata, PGR, TritoneAddiction and 3 guests