(SOLVED) PLEASE HELP! Operation could not be completed because a file could not be found

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
NecroPunk

04 Feb 2019

Hey people, desperately trying to get back in to a session but cannot seem to load up reason after using AVG's cleaner to free up some space; guessing it deleting something that it thought was not necessary, resulting in being locked out of reason.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling; deleted all the files I could find related to reason then did a fresh install; same message!

Can someone please point me in the right direction with what I should do to get reason running again; I have an edit to complete and I'm hours behind!

I'm on macOS High Sierra, 10.13.6

Thanks in advance! :essentials:
Last edited by NecroPunk on 04 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

04 Feb 2019

What is "a file"?
Reason12, Win10

NecroPunk

04 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
04 Feb 2019
What is "a file"?
I don't know, that's the error that pops up every time I'm trying to open Reason; this is why I was asking for advice/solution

Loque

04 Feb 2019

NecroPunk wrote:
04 Feb 2019
Loque wrote:
04 Feb 2019
What is "a file"?
I don't know, that's the error that pops up every time I'm trying to open Reason; this is why I was asking for advice/solution
Since i am not on Mac, i can only speculate. You could try to re-install the Authorizer and if that does not work, disable temporary the AV to see if it is blocking something - but you should be sure, that it is safe and clean.

I hope this is the right link: https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... r-Download
Reason12, Win10

NecroPunk

04 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
04 Feb 2019
NecroPunk wrote:
04 Feb 2019

Since i am not on Mac, i can only speculate. You could try to re-install the Authorizer and if that does not work, disable temporary the AV to see if it is blocking something - but you should be sure, that it is safe and clean.

I hope this is the right link: https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... r-Download
Thanks man, I reinstalled the authorizer, still popping up with the same error; AV is just a cleaner, it's not the real-time virus protection software.

Loque

04 Feb 2019

Hum...maybe it could be a VST that is missing something...YOu could temporarly rename your VST folders, so they are not scanned. Btw, do you see the Reason's splash screen?
Reason12, Win10

NecroPunk

04 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
04 Feb 2019
Hum...maybe it could be a VST that is missing something...YOu could temporarly rename your VST folders, so they are not scanned. Btw, do you see the Reason's splash screen?
It was the f****** Symbolic Link!! I went a bit symlink crazy to free up space so when reinstalling R10, the installer would believe that the Propellerhead Content folder already exists and would not write the files; the symlink would direct to, basically nowhere as I moved the R10 library to another folder on an external hard drive...feel like such an idiot...thanks for trying to help man :thumbs_up:

daltonjq

20 Dec 2019

Hi Necropunk or anyone reading this who could help maybe:

I get the same error message when trying to open reason suite 11 . I have reason 9 and 10 installed on my computer. I haven't used reason in a while and I just don't remember if I did anything like make a symbolic link, because I think I might have moved my library at one point. It wouldn't surprise me if I did and totally forgot about it haha. It sound like a rabit hole I might have gone down one night and then totally forgot about the details of how I did it. I dont use reason too often. I have no idea how to tell if I did create a symlink and I totally forgot what symbolic links are if I happened to have done anything like that.

There really inst a whole lot of info on this error message anywhere on the internet, so if anyone has any more details on what to actually do to correct this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Ive tried manually uninstalling reason 9 and 10 to the best of my ability, I did some weird code meter ignition something rather on the website so I dont need to sign in anymore when opening reason, I tried opening the plugin version in Ableton Live (got the same error message). Haha super bummed right now I just want to open the program!

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help me out!

daltonjq

20 Dec 2019

I had simultaneously emailed reason support about this and they got back pretty dang quickly! It turns out I had made an alias link a couple years back and forgot, then I think I moved the files to another drive so that alias wasn't working any more. And that's what was causing it for me. Not sure if this is the same as OP cause its an alias, Im not sure if thats the same thing as a symbolic link.

Anyway, that Alias was in the music folder in the user folder, like hard drive ---> Users ---> Your user name folder ---> Music -----> Propellerhead Content. The propellerhead content was the alias and it was directing to another drive that wasn't there any more. So I deleted it. then I could open reason from there.

• Information