Who agrees that Reason should get an updated Combinator?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Heigen5

29 Jan 2019

And as soon as possible. We've been suggesting lots of neat ideas for it, for how long waiting time still? Reason 11? Reason 12? :x

BRIGGS

29 Jan 2019

If an updated sdk would allow it, RE devs could build any number of new ones.
r11s

Heigen5

29 Jan 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
29 Jan 2019
Yeah, but one thing we should be able to do is loading up all the current combis as well, so I think if some of the RE developers would build one, we could not load them.

BRIGGS

29 Jan 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
29 Jan 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
29 Jan 2019
Yeah, but one thing we should be able to do is loading up all the current combis as well, so I think if some of the RE developers would build one, we could not load them.
Good point, if thats the case, I would just build new combinators. I only have 4 or 5 that I use on a regular basis.
r11s

joeyluck

29 Jan 2019

Well if there's new features, it would need to be a separate device anyways IMO. Otherwise you will have broken Combi skins. Or if say they add new knobs and buttons accessible via pages that might keep skins from breaking, but would not be ideal for workflow I would think. Thus, might as well have a Combinator 2, and you could choose to use either the original for simplicity, or version 2 if you need more controls and I/O.

Heigen5

29 Jan 2019

joeyluck wrote:
29 Jan 2019
Well if there's new features, it would need to be a separate device anyways IMO. Otherwise you will have broken Combi skins. Or if say they add new knobs and buttons accessible via pages that might keep skins from breaking, but would not be ideal for workflow I would think. Thus, might as well have a Combinator 2, and you could choose to use either the original for simplicity, or version 2 if you need more controls and I/O.
I wouldn't care if the skins would be removed, as it would be better to be able to load old combi patches, and make a new skin. Just like NNXT can load NN19 patches.

guitfnky

29 Jan 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
29 Jan 2019
I wouldn't care if the skins would be removed, as it would be better to be able to load old combi patches, and make a new skin. Just like NNXT can load NN19 patches.
yes, *you* wouldn’t care about broken combi skins, but others would (myself included).

I’m with joeyluck, definitely would make more sense to go with a separate device. you could maybe make the new one backwards compatible to cover both scenarios, but I could definitely understand people preferring to use the current classic combinator for some situations. sort of like being able to choose between the small and large rack mixers...you don’t always need the larger one.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

joeyluck

29 Jan 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
29 Jan 2019
joeyluck wrote:
29 Jan 2019
Well some Combi patches don't use the built-in labels for knobs and buttons and have labels created in the skins. So you'd have some patches with nothing labeled. Plus I would think that developers who spent time on skins would want their products to open as intended. But maybe those patches still open in Combi version 1 by default, but could be opened in version 2, if the user wanted to build upon it with more controls. I just think it would be easier to have two versions of the Combinator.

Heigen5

29 Jan 2019

Solution: we need a new combi that can load old patches. It's your choice then that will you load it to the combinator mk2.

Loque

30 Jan 2019

All threads here alone about an update of the Combinator could fill a big book.
Reason12, Win10

Heigen5

30 Jan 2019

I wish that a new combi would not only have more knobs/faders/buttons in amount, but also different kind of ones. As example, when you have a knob that is switching between the Martix's patterns, it's not that easy to see/know what pattern you loaded up. There should be a visual little window that shows you "Pattern 1A" next to a knob/fader/button.

Also we've been wishing to be able to right click on the knobs/faders/buttons and map to a combinator in that way as well. As long as a device is in a combi, you could do it.

Loque

30 Jan 2019

Tbh, i guess (hope) that wi did not seen an update yet, because PH thinks about an overhaul of the system since a while and are working on a more modular approach, giving us a completely free definable macro interface for stuff inside a "Combinator". Reaktor and stuff is calling...
Reason12, Win10

O1B

30 Jan 2019

Here's the perfect compliment to this thread:

Bottom's up!

Loque

30 Jan 2019

O1B wrote:
30 Jan 2019
Here's the perfect compliment to this thread:

Bottom's up!
Looks tasty...

But i guess you meant this:
hqdefaultc.jpg
hqdefaultc.jpg (39.5 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Last edited by Loque on 30 Jan 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

Loque

30 Jan 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
30 Jan 2019
:shock:
Yea, disgusting...i replaced it with a censored version...
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

30 Jan 2019

I’d love a new combinator, but to Loque’s point, right now, Props doesn’t really need to give us more devices—basic DAW “quality of life” upgrades ought to be their focus right now. attention to bringing Reason’s sequencing and organizational tools/functionality (and yes, display resolution) up to modern standards is crucial, IMO. they’re the only real areas where Reason lags behind other DAWs right now.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

scratchnsnifff

30 Jan 2019

I think a new combinator would be the best thing to add to reasons tools

Iv posted a million times about what I think is necessary for the combinator

Mainly more than 10 matrix slots per device, and more than 4 rotaries

I agree on the idea that it should be a new device, so nothing is changed with the old one. Also they really should put all the same features and only add on the existing features
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Creativemind

30 Jan 2019

Loque wrote:
30 Jan 2019
All threads here alone about an update of the Combinator could fill a big book.
Yeah they could.

Must be on the cards now I would think. It's probably the most requested feature I've seen for Reason. Very surprised it wasn't put into version 10 instead of those 3 Propellerhead / Soundiron devices if I'm honest.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

30 Jan 2019

joeyluck wrote:
29 Jan 2019
Did I hear someone say ages ago that something changed in say Reason 7 or something to do with the Combinator skins?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

plaamook

04 Feb 2019

What we really need, more than ever with VST's around, is the labeling of knobs and so on to ACTUALLY SHOW ON THE FECKIN SEQUENCER!
What's this Rotry 1 etc bullshit? Madness.
I don't like to criticise Props too much, they're doing god's work, but this is so simple and so IRRITATING.
End of rant...
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

mcatalao
Competition Winner

04 Feb 2019

Dr. OctoRex evolved from Dr. Rex and didn't have any issues with compatibility.

I would really use more knobs and more buttons, specially if they were remotable!

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

05 Feb 2019

+1. While we’re on the subject, I’d like:

Drag n’ drop mod routing, or right-click link to macro.

Copy/paste mod routing across multiple devices of the same type.

Configurable macros: detented, stepped, or continuous rotaries, one-shot trigger buttons, multi-position switches, x/y pads.

Keyboard and velocity tracking curve per device.

Humanization of timing and velocity per device.

CV input scaler/curve mapper.

Multiple audio inputs and outputs with dedicated mixer/crossfader.

On-board VU/dBFS metering.

Voicing logic modules to spread and modify notes between instruments intelligently.

Global and per-device effect chains, able to be saved or loaded on the fly.

• Information