TIPS - Random Note Generator w. Robotic Bean

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Boombastix
Competition Winner

13 Jan 2019

I tried to use Robotic Bean's Step Note Recorder to come up with musically randomized notes. See the video. You control it by first putting in a note sequence in Step Note Recorder, set it to either of the randomizing functions, and wire its CV/Gate to the CV Player Tap. You don't really need the Scales & Chords as SNR can set the scale as well, but I put it in there just for experimentation. Euclidean is then used to alter the rhythm further than the rhythm you put into Step Note Recorder. Pretty cool, especially as start turning the knobs on Euclidean.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

zoidkirb

13 Jan 2019

That's cool. I use cv probability trigger into cv player tap into scales and chords to get a similar result.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

13 Jan 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
13 Jan 2019
That's cool. I use cv probability trigger into cv player tap into scales and chords to get a similar result.
What I liked about this setup is that I have some musical control by the way I enter notes in Step Note Recorder and I can also transpose easily in the Reason sequencer adding a few notes e.g. at the end of a 4 bar section. I can also change the Euclid Pattern density knob with automation.
This way I get some randomization but using the notes (with pauses, triplets if I want) that I control.

zoidkirb

13 Jan 2019

I will have to demo the step note recorder soon. Cv probably trigger is good for that purpose but it feels obviously not designed for having much fine control over melody.

Btw, you're saying you can have rhythmic influence from from step note recorder and Euclid at the same time? That does sound intriguing

Boombastix
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
13 Jan 2019
I will have to demo the step note recorder soon. Cv probably trigger is good for that purpose but it feels obviously not designed for having much fine control over melody.

Btw, you're saying you can have rhythmic influence from from step note recorder and Euclid at the same time? That does sound intriguing
You actually put in the original melody, so you have 100% control over it.
The deviation from your melody with controlled randomization and euclid rhythm is what you add after and the amount of its influence is controlled by, guess, it is you! ;)

Reasonable man

14 Jan 2019

Boombastix wrote:
14 Jan 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
13 Jan 2019

The deviation from your melody with controlled randomization and euclid rhythm is what you add after and the amount of its influence is controlled by, guess, it is you! ;)
I'm thinking you may have just stumbled upon how Underworld's Rez was concieved... all the ingredients are there

friday

14 Jan 2019

Thanks for this post (reminder) i really have forgotten Step after the introduction of players, but just checking and Step II is a massive beast over Step 1... Oh and.... should also help to bring the ideas of the following video to all reason synths... so many threads opened in my mind....

Boombastix
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2019

Reasonable man wrote:
14 Jan 2019
Boombastix wrote:
14 Jan 2019

I'm thinking you may have just stumbled upon how Underworld's Rez was concieved... all the ingredients are there
Or maybe not so much stumbling, just old school stuff. I still have my yellow Boss Bass distortion pedal that I used in the studio with a TB-303. But you can of course do it this way! :thumbs_up:

seqoi

15 Jan 2019

Boombastix wrote:
13 Jan 2019
I tried to use Robotic Bean's Step Note Recorder to come up with musically randomized notes. See the video. You control it by first putting in a note sequence in Step Note Recorder, set it to either of the randomizing functions, and wire its CV/Gate to the CV Player Tap. You don't really need the Scales & Chords as SNR can set the scale as well, but I put it in there just for experimentation. Euclidean is then used to alter the rhythm further than the rhythm you put into Step Note Recorder. Pretty cool, especially as start turning the knobs on Euclidean.
That's really cool, insanely cool you should post patches (RNS) in this thread. Please. Bot this and Acid. Just remember to replace VSTs with similar or remove them. I have soundtoys and all RE's in your video but i guess some of the people don't.

• Information