Ultimate Reason PC Build

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Wobbleburger
Posts: 223
Joined: 14 Sep 2018
Location: Austin

Post 11 Jan 2019

Hey folks - I was trying to figure out what the best build for a PC would be for Reason 10. Here's what I have so far:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s4GYYT

~1000$ ... How does this look? Is anything off or should there be any additions? Trying to keep the price under 1200$

* Intel i7
* 32 GB DDR4
* GeForce 1080 (I know GPU doesn't really matter)
I like jungle.

Reason 10 - Win10 - i7 9700k - 32gb DDR4 - Novation Launchkey 25 - Korg Nanokontrol 2 - Scarlet 2i2 2nd Gen - Shure SM58 - Currently obsessed with Phase Plant

User avatar
esselfortium
Posts: 1203
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 11 Jan 2019

Any particular reason you're going for a 7th-generation i7 instead of a newer 8th or 9th generation? For instance, the i7-8700k or i7-9700k.

Also, in my experience 16gb of RAM has been plenty for using Reason even with multiple big Kontakt instruments. My old i7-4790k CPU has been a bottleneck sometimes, but not RAM. It might be a better choice to put that money toward a 1TB SSD so you can more freely put sample libraries on it for faster loading.

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 1881
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack-1

Post 11 Jan 2019

8 core no hyper threading
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3LGzdX (might need a BIOS update on the mobo prior to install)

or a 6 core 12 threads
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xFRXq4

Wouldn't bother with a GPU at all unless you plan on playing games just get any crappy GPU for casual play. Both come with stock graphics which are good enough to render a game at low even medium settings.

16gb would be plenty future proofed to 32gb!

Both would be a pretty much silent builds also, so a passive GPU might be better to get. I'd hold off on it until the VST update, might change things! FYI the M.2 will disable 2 sata slots there is 2 available on that board much faster than Sata SSD.
Waiting for Navigation by Routing to be added! viewtopic.php?p=275484#p275484f=6&t=749 ... 97#p275497
:refill: http://rwrd.io/qx9m5wx Referral!

Moshpitcasual
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Jan 2019

Post 13 Jan 2019

I would get lost building my own machine. Too risky with these fingers LOL.... looking to upgrade pc and to win10 this year... anyone have any suggestions for good prodction pcs, lemme know 🙌

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2342
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 13 Jan 2019

I could build a buncha decent ones for 200$ so I'm good.
If I needed an all in one though, might as well just 800$ the rig.
Producer/Sound Designer.
Currently checking out peff & hydlide's archives
https://audiomack.com/artist/cricksyn/playlists

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5494
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 14 Jan 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
11 Jan 2019
Hey folks - I was trying to figure out what the best build for a PC would be for Reason 10. Here's what I have so far:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s4GYYT

~1000$ ... How does this look? Is anything off or should there be any additions? Trying to keep the price under 1200$

* Intel i7
* 32 GB DDR4
* GeForce 1080 (I know GPU doesn't really matter)
For not very much more money, you can go with the 9900K and get noticeably better single-thread performance (which Reason likes) as well as almost twice the multi-thread performance for those moments when you need to do some nice transcoding or other thread-hungry stuff:


9900_7700_3770.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 |  Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

retreed
Posts: 91
Joined: 18 Sep 2018

Post 14 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jan 2019

For not very much more money, you can go with the 9900K and get noticeably better single-thread performance (which Reason likes) as well as almost twice the multi-thread performance for those moments when you need to do some nice transcoding or other thread-hungry stuff:
I think that answer is giving a good direction but does not completely help.

I am in the same position of considering a new PC for Reason and I think we all agree that Intel is the way to go due to best single core performance. I was waiting for the CES to see something great happening from AMD but I think the suprise did not happen. People who consider buying a PC soonish for Reason should go with Intel.

The prices for 8th generation of Intels on the I7 is almost the same as the 9th generation now for a long time (it was better a year ago).

Going for the 9900K is a great option as it does have the best single core performance but keep in mind that the 9700K is not far away. (Single Thread Rating: 2900 vs 2820 taking your same source).

The 9900K does look nice but already is ~150$ more. Also keep in mind the extra costs that comes with it as it runs a lot hotter compared to the 9700K and people recommend to get mainboards that are more expensive and the low budget Z390 have issues with heat. There is a good amount of discussions and tests on the internet showing this. The 9700K will be fine on the e.g. MSI Z390-A PRO (~120$). For the 9900K a recommended mainboard does have double prices. And this counts for people who do not necessarily want to go for overclocking. For the 9700k you can also save some money on the cooling (mid class cooler ~50$ compared to double fan coolers ~100$).

So the questions are:

1) Technically: Does one really benefit noticeably from the double amount of threads while having the same amount of cores in Reason? (which is one of the main differences when comparing the 9900K vs 9700K).
2) Personally (for everyone consider buying stuff): Would you want to spend ~300-500$ more for a system and which also drains more power while using it (while the answer to 1) is unclear).

@Wooble: Sorry for taking this topic a little into that direction, I hope it also helps for your PC considerations. :)

User avatar
Wobbleburger
Posts: 223
Joined: 14 Sep 2018
Location: Austin

Post 14 Jan 2019

Ok, so I've learned a lot... I definitely want an Intel chip. I think the 9900K would be worth the money. I'd likely buy a low-key videocard (but still decent) like the GeForce 1050 or 1060. I was looking at the AMD Ryzen 5 2600. It sounds like Intel is the way to go... When I take the video card out of the equation, it lets me spend more on the processor. Does anybody have any bundles or pre-built PC options that would make this easier?
I like jungle.

Reason 10 - Win10 - i7 9700k - 32gb DDR4 - Novation Launchkey 25 - Korg Nanokontrol 2 - Scarlet 2i2 2nd Gen - Shure SM58 - Currently obsessed with Phase Plant

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5494
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 14 Jan 2019

retreed wrote:
14 Jan 2019
EnochLight wrote:
14 Jan 2019

For not very much more money, you can go with the 9900K and get noticeably better single-thread performance (which Reason likes) as well as almost twice the multi-thread performance for those moments when you need to do some nice transcoding or other thread-hungry stuff:
I think that answer is giving a good direction but does not completely help.
Perhaps this will help more: one would get far more useful life out of a 9900K simply because it is a far faster processor than a 7700k for just a little bit more money ($529.99 USD versus $409.49 USD). I'd also go with 16 GB of RAM instead of 32 GB to save a bit more money, balancing out the increased cost for the 9900K. IMHO, 32 GB is far overkill in this day and age.

But the 9700k is certainly a great option as well. Very close single-thread, and the multi is great too. BTW, core clock TDP is the same for the 9700k as well as the 9900k (95 Watts). No worries. And both the 9900K's and 9700K's T-Junction is literally 100 C.
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 |  Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

User avatar
Wobbleburger
Posts: 223
Joined: 14 Sep 2018
Location: Austin

Post 14 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jan 2019
retreed wrote:
14 Jan 2019


I think that answer is giving a good direction but does not completely help.
Perhaps this will help more: one would get far more useful life out of a 9900K simply because it is a far faster processor than a 7700k for just a little bit more money ($529.99 USD versus $409.49 USD). I'd also go with 16 GB of RAM instead of 32 GB to save a bit more money, balancing out the increased cost for the 9900K. IMHO, 32 GB is far overkill in this day and age.

But the 9700k is certainly a great option as well. Very close single-thread, and the multi is great too. BTW, core clock TDP is the same for the 9700k as well as the 9900k (95 Watts). No worries. And both the 9900K's and 9700K's T-Junction is literally 100 C.
Thank you! This helps a lot. I haven't built a PC in over a decade and all the builds I see are for gaming. So, I'm looking for a template with 9700k (or even i7), 16gb (room for 32), 1tb ssd, 2tb regular HD... older GPU geforce/amd ... maybe 1050 or 1060? or amd I dunno - I have a PS4 and I'm not interested in losing myself into PC gaming when I *should* be producing music. But I don't want a dinosaur GPU that can't handle new games. Video production would be fun and having a PC that can handle that would be ideal, but not necessary.
I like jungle.

Reason 10 - Win10 - i7 9700k - 32gb DDR4 - Novation Launchkey 25 - Korg Nanokontrol 2 - Scarlet 2i2 2nd Gen - Shure SM58 - Currently obsessed with Phase Plant

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5494
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 14 Jan 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
14 Jan 2019
Video production would be fun and having a PC that can handle that would be ideal, but not necessary.
I'd certainly stick to the 9900K or the 9700K then, since their multi-thread is great, too. And while it's not necessary for your absolute needs, it would add value to your rig that will keep on giving in case you ever do decide to do something like that. ;)
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 |  Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 2249
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 14 Jan 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
14 Jan 2019
EnochLight wrote:
14 Jan 2019


Perhaps this will help more: one would get far more useful life out of a 9900K simply because it is a far faster processor than a 7700k for just a little bit more money ($529.99 USD versus $409.49 USD). I'd also go with 16 GB of RAM instead of 32 GB to save a bit more money, balancing out the increased cost for the 9900K. IMHO, 32 GB is far overkill in this day and age.

But the 9700k is certainly a great option as well. Very close single-thread, and the multi is great too. BTW, core clock TDP is the same for the 9700k as well as the 9900k (95 Watts). No worries. And both the 9900K's and 9700K's T-Junction is literally 100 C.
Thank you! This helps a lot. I haven't built a PC in over a decade and all the builds I see are for gaming. So, I'm looking for a template with 9700k (or even i7), 16gb (room for 32), 1tb ssd, 2tb regular HD... older GPU geforce/amd ... maybe 1050 or 1060? or amd I dunno - I have a PS4 and I'm not interested in losing myself into PC gaming when I *should* be producing music. But I don't want a dinosaur GPU that can't handle new games. Video production would be fun and having a PC that can handle that would be ideal, but not necessary.
I know this is a PC thread, but if you're looking for a template you can look at the specs of the new Mac Mini. I bought the i5 version with 16GB ram, and it's a great machine. I've not maxed out DSP in Reason with it even with VST so far. Even with the integrated graphics card, basic video editing and rendering with Davinci Resolve isn't bad. A 2 1/2hr video rendered in less than an hr.

I would say start with the components of that machine and upgrade further in your build where you see necessary
- 8th generation intel
- intel UHD graphics 630
- 16GB DDR4 ram
- 256GB SSD

User avatar
Wobbleburger
Posts: 223
Joined: 14 Sep 2018
Location: Austin

Post 14 Jan 2019

QVprod wrote:
14 Jan 2019
Wobbleburger wrote:
14 Jan 2019


Thank you! This helps a lot. I haven't built a PC in over a decade and all the builds I see are for gaming. So, I'm looking for a template with 9700k (or even i7), 16gb (room for 32), 1tb ssd, 2tb regular HD... older GPU geforce/amd ... maybe 1050 or 1060? or amd I dunno - I have a PS4 and I'm not interested in losing myself into PC gaming when I *should* be producing music. But I don't want a dinosaur GPU that can't handle new games. Video production would be fun and having a PC that can handle that would be ideal, but not necessary.
I know this is a PC thread, but if you're looking for a template you can look at the specs of the new Mac Mini. I bought the i5 version with 16GB ram, and it's a great machine. I've not maxed out DSP in Reason with it even with VST so far. Even with the integrated graphics card, basic video editing and rendering with Davinci Resolve isn't bad. A 2 1/2hr video rendered in less than an hr.

I would say start with the components of that machine and upgrade further in your build where you see necessary
- 8th generation intel
- intel UHD graphics 630
- 16GB DDR4 ram
- 256GB SSD
Absolutely helpful. Because I have 0% interest in PC gaming, the only reason I'm not buying another Mac is the price. My Mac Book Pro (late 2015) is stuttering on my deeper tunes (happy to post links to the audio :) lol) ... I'll check the Apple store and see how the Mini's look.

Edit: built the ideal setup on Apple's site: Mini w 32gb, 3.2hz 6 core, 512 ssd (nowhere near enough - will have to add external) --- $2,099.00
I like jungle.

Reason 10 - Win10 - i7 9700k - 32gb DDR4 - Novation Launchkey 25 - Korg Nanokontrol 2 - Scarlet 2i2 2nd Gen - Shure SM58 - Currently obsessed with Phase Plant

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5494
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 14 Jan 2019

QVprod wrote:
14 Jan 2019
I know this is a PC thread, but if you're looking for a template you can look at the specs of the new Mac Mini.
Wobbleburger wrote:
14 Jan 2019
Edit: built the ideal setup on Apple's site: Mini w 32gb, 3.2hz 6 core, 512 ssd (nowhere near enough - will have to add external) --- $2,099.00

Yeah, the new Minis are not as good of a value as they used to be:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/11 ... bbornness/

The Mac mini represents an enormous compromise. It's rarely, if ever, going to be the best form factor for any given role. Hell, it doesn't even have "cheap" going for it this time around, really: the 2014 version at launch had a base price of $499. The hike to $799 represents astonishingly bad value.
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 |  Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 1881
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack-1

Post 14 Jan 2019

New AMD chip announcement in May or June iirc. 9th gen intel will most likely drop in price after that announcement. Will be upgrading my 4790k probably next year, Its still a great CPU though great resell value!
Waiting for Navigation by Routing to be added! viewtopic.php?p=275484#p275484f=6&t=749 ... 97#p275497
:refill: http://rwrd.io/qx9m5wx Referral!

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 2249
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 14 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jan 2019
QVprod wrote:
14 Jan 2019
I know this is a PC thread, but if you're looking for a template you can look at the specs of the new Mac Mini.
Wobbleburger wrote:
14 Jan 2019
Edit: built the ideal setup on Apple's site: Mini w 32gb, 3.2hz 6 core, 512 ssd (nowhere near enough - will have to add external) --- $2,099.00

Yeah, the new Minis are not as good of a value as they used to be:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/11 ... bbornness/

The Mac mini represents an enormous compromise. It's rarely, if ever, going to be the best form factor for any given role. Hell, it doesn't even have "cheap" going for it this time around, really: the 2014 version at launch had a base price of $499. The hike to $799 represents astonishingly bad value.
Aside from the fact I disagree with this writer completely; The $499 mac mini was never a quad core machine whereas the 2018 base model i3 is. Actually the 2014 model was serious downgrade why is it being compared to anything for that matter?... Also the writer's main gripes are to do with the size which brings me to say you're missing my point. I did not advise to buy a mac mini (as happy as I am with mine) I simply gave the specs of a machine that's quite powerful for use as a template in building another and also said to upgrade as the OP saw fit.

Edit: I do see Wobbleburger misinterpreted my intent as well.

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 2249
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 14 Jan 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
14 Jan 2019
QVprod wrote:
14 Jan 2019


I know this is a PC thread, but if you're looking for a template you can look at the specs of the new Mac Mini. I bought the i5 version with 16GB ram, and it's a great machine. I've not maxed out DSP in Reason with it even with VST so far. Even with the integrated graphics card, basic video editing and rendering with Davinci Resolve isn't bad. A 2 1/2hr video rendered in less than an hr.

I would say start with the components of that machine and upgrade further in your build where you see necessary
- 8th generation intel
- intel UHD graphics 630
- 16GB DDR4 ram
- 256GB SSD
Absolutely helpful. Because I have 0% interest in PC gaming, the only reason I'm not buying another Mac is the price. My Mac Book Pro (late 2015) is stuttering on my deeper tunes (happy to post links to the audio :) lol) ... I'll check the Apple store and see how the Mini's look.

Edit: built the ideal setup on Apple's site: Mini w 32gb, 3.2hz 6 core, 512 ssd (nowhere near enough - will have to add external) --- $2,099.00
Apologize for confusion, I wasn't actually suggesting buying a mac, thought you were looking into a custom pc build, so I was only sharing the components for use in a build.

For the record though, I do use externals for project files as well as samples so I don't need a large main drive

User avatar
Wobbleburger
Posts: 223
Joined: 14 Sep 2018
Location: Austin

Post 15 Jan 2019

All good... I wouldn't pull the trigger on a Mac Mini. Maybe a Mac Pro or new MBP if I budget wasn't an issue. The plan is an Intel PC built with 32gb ... Still unsure of the details and the timeline but it sounds like it's worth waiting for Intel to drop the new chipset. Y'all have all been very helpful though. Thank you.
I like jungle.

Reason 10 - Win10 - i7 9700k - 32gb DDR4 - Novation Launchkey 25 - Korg Nanokontrol 2 - Scarlet 2i2 2nd Gen - Shure SM58 - Currently obsessed with Phase Plant

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5494
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 15 Jan 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
15 Jan 2019
The plan is an Intel PC built with 32gb ...
I don't understand why you want 32 GB of RAM (especially if video editing is a slight afterthought that's not really important). That much RAM is a waste of money on most DAW, IMHO...
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 |  Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

User avatar
sublunar
Posts: 417
Joined: 27 Apr 2017

Post 15 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
15 Jan 2019
Wobbleburger wrote:
15 Jan 2019
The plan is an Intel PC built with 32gb ...
I don't understand why you want 32 GB of RAM (especially if video editing is a slight afterthought that's not really important). That much RAM is a waste of money on most DAW, IMHO...
No offense but this is roughly the same as people saying you'll never need that much drive space or a CPU with that much power; You're going to be wrong sooner than later. Computer technology moves fast. I'm not that old and I remember freaking out about Pentium 4's and 1GB of ram.

Always, ALWAYS, future proof your PC builds or you'll be building one every year or two. I build mine and plan for 10 years of daily use. My last one was, in fact, used for 10 years daily production duties and never quit on me. I only upgraded when Reason was no longer compatible with Win XP.

User avatar
sublunar
Posts: 417
Joined: 27 Apr 2017

Post 15 Jan 2019

Want to build a good PC? It's simple.

Define a budget. Find best stuff that fits within that budget and ensure it's compatible with each other. Pretty much all you have to do is make sure your Motherboard/CPU/Memory are compatible. Front Side Bus (FSB) is important to get right, so is CPU socket type. That's... about it. Use an SSD for OS drive and either high speed HDD's or SSD's for critical data. Then just put it all together, assuming you can install the parts without breaking them.

Don't listen to the advice "You'll never need that much (RAM/CPU/drive space)". Buying more (RAM/CPU/drive space) than you need merely insures it won't be obsolete as fast and will, therefore, save you money and headaches down the road.

It's the audio interface that is the most important spec of all in PC builds for audio production. Specific components in a build are merely decided by your budget and individually they have much less of an effect on the end result of audio production than a good audio interface.

User avatar
esselfortium
Posts: 1203
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 Jan 2019

If you need more RAM in a few years, you can just add more RAM in a few years.

User avatar
Wobbleburger
Posts: 223
Joined: 14 Sep 2018
Location: Austin

Post 15 Jan 2019

sublunar wrote:
15 Jan 2019
Want to build a good PC? It's simple.

Define a budget. Find best stuff that fits within that budget and ensure it's compatible with each other. Pretty much all you have to do is make sure your Motherboard/CPU/Memory are compatible. Front Side Bus (FSB) is important to get right, so is CPU socket type. That's... about it. Use an SSD for OS drive and either high speed HDD's or SSD's for critical data. Then just put it all together, assuming you can install the parts without breaking them.

Don't listen to the advice "You'll never need that much (RAM/CPU/drive space)". Buying more (RAM/CPU/drive space) than you need merely insures it won't be obsolete as fast and will, therefore, save you money and headaches down the road.

It's the audio interface that is the most important spec of all in PC builds for audio production. Specific components in a build are merely decided by your budget and individually they have much less of an effect on the end result of audio production than a good audio interface.
I agree with all of this. I don't record any live instruments or hardware synth so I don't use an interface currently. My girlfriend sings and plays guitar, so she has one that I haven't used yet. I was looking at the Scarlett for if/when I need one. Not very educated on interfaces TBH.
I like jungle.

Reason 10 - Win10 - i7 9700k - 32gb DDR4 - Novation Launchkey 25 - Korg Nanokontrol 2 - Scarlet 2i2 2nd Gen - Shure SM58 - Currently obsessed with Phase Plant

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5494
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 15 Jan 2019

sublunar wrote:
15 Jan 2019
No offense but this is roughly the same as people saying you'll never need that much drive space or a CPU with that much power; You're going to be wrong sooner than later. Computer technology moves fast. I'm not that old and I remember freaking out about Pentium 4's and 1GB of ram. XP.
Well, there's future proofing, and then there's blatantly wasting money on things that you're likely never to utilize before you even upgrade again. Trust me, I love over-planning and engineering for the future, but grabbing 32 GB of RAM is a waste. Most systems hardly get close to utilizing 16 GB of RAM these days, especially in the context of the OP's needs. Now if he's planning to build a video editing machine that needs to handle 4K/8K video, then absolutely get 32 GB of RAM.

esselfortium wrote:
15 Jan 2019
If you need more RAM in a few years, you can just add more RAM in a few years.
^^ This. So much THIS. ^^
Wobbleburger wrote:
15 Jan 2019
I was looking at the Scarlett for if/when I need one. Not very educated on interfaces TBH.
Do yourself and your girlfriend a favor, and get an RME. Best drivers in the industry and they continue to support their hardware far longer than most other manufacturers.
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 |  Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

User avatar
sublunar
Posts: 417
Joined: 27 Apr 2017

Post 15 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
15 Jan 2019
esselfortium wrote:
15 Jan 2019
If you need more RAM in a few years, you can just add more RAM in a few years.
^^ This. So much THIS. ^^
Ok I don't disagree with this. I just have a tendency to reject any computer advice that says "you won't need this much (whatever)" because it literally never holds up well over time.

But he actually DID say he'd like to do video editing, too, so.. In this case, it's a $120 difference between getting 16 and 32GB.
Wobbleburger wrote:
15 Jan 2019
I was looking at the Scarlett for if/when I need one. Not very educated on interfaces TBH.
EnochLight wrote:
15 Jan 2019
Do yourself and your girlfriend a favor, and get an RME. Best drivers in the industry and they continue to support their hardware far longer than most other manufacturers.
My personal experience also favors non-Focusrite equipment. I owned a couple 18i20s once and once was enough. I've always had good luck with M-Audio stuff. Never tried RME.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest