Propellerhead Partners with MIND Music Labs For Rack Extension Hardware Integration

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
scratchnsnifff

27 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2019
Faastwalker wrote:
27 Jan 2019
Thanks for sharing this. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't say exactly which Rack Extension they were running. I'm also disappointed that this is essentially in the "hey - look what can be done" -stage with no apparent hardware developers on board to make an actual product.

I'm betting we're at least 18 months out from seeing an actual product, if any at all. What can be done is essentially a Roland plugout platform - they just need a System 8-style controller to be made.

Any takers? ;)
Absolutely!

I hope they have a hardware unit that has the amount of controls like a m audio code 49 or deepmind 12
But is able to run a synth and 2 or 3 Re effects. I wonder that is possible. Or is it just one at a time?

I feel like they should have had something completely finished. But the idea is very cool! I find myself in a confused state because I don’t have a product to drool over XD I want to be able to want whatever this will be!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

gminorcoles

27 Jan 2019

I think mind music labs has a technical identity, they clearly have some people on board who were able to realize that just making it easier to run soft synths and plugins on hardware st low latency would be game changing for small product developers.

The technical achievements seem incremental and the benefit comes from piecing things together in a professional oem friendly package that previously were the domain of diy or only expensive efforts by companies that either failed for strategic reasons, or like Korg don’t try to make the system open to third parties. They did the Kronos using a similar architecture purely as an efficient way to create a robust platform for all their legacy synth engines and the effort has paid itself back over time.

I don’t think that mind music labs has much of s corporate identity yet. The guy in that video just came to mind music labs from plugin alliance. He probably does not yet know exactly what the potential of ELK is himself, and he probably doesn’t understand Propellerheads world of products to any great degree.

This Namm effort was not to impress us, it seems like very much a b2b setup.

It’s a bit weird that Propellerhead didn’t have a booth to push their take on this demo, and really crank up the hype on a demo setup like this with lots of specifics that Propellerhead users would respond to. It’s aftually a super clever demo and shows how polished the result can be with not much effort.

I feel thst is the fault of Propellerhead for not jumping on this opportunity, because I think if you do a good job of marketing it will be popular.

There is probably one missing piece which is who makes the hardware. Mind music labs won’t want to have anything to do with that, it’s not an efficient use of startup capital.

Propellerheads might or might not have the expertise to execute a hardware strategy effectively which necessitates and somewhat neutral third party to supply hardware integration. Who is that? So many other companies have a muddy strategy that might already include crappy hardware and software, so you need to find someone who will only benefit from selling this kind of product.

PGR

28 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2019
Faastwalker wrote:
27 Jan 2019
Thanks for sharing this. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't say exactly which Rack Extension they were running.
Korg Polysix

mojo

28 Jan 2019

I'd like to see a 2u rack like our old samplers where you could install all your REs. It would have a large lcd screen and some pots on the front. the back with 8 audio ins and out adat and midi so could use it in standalone mode and also with your daw without consuming your computer cpu.

Loque

28 Jan 2019

mojo wrote:
28 Jan 2019
I'd like to see a 2u rack like our old samplers where you could install all your REs. It would have a large lcd screen and some pots on the front. the back with 8 audio ins and out adat and midi so could use it in standalone mode and also with your daw without consuming your computer cpu.
A foldable or scrollable screen...just to keep it portable :-)
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

28 Jan 2019

PGR wrote:
28 Jan 2019
EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2019

Thanks for sharing this. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't say exactly which Rack Extension they were running.
Korg Polysix
Where did they say that? Korg’s Polysix was demo’d In the Juice video by Magnus, but they made no mention of it in the video above.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

dioxide

28 Jan 2019

EnochLight

28 Jan 2019

gminorcoles wrote:
27 Jan 2019
Propellerheads might or might not have the expertise to execute a hardware strategy effectively
They absolutely have the expertise to execute a hardware strategy effectively. They did so with their Balance Audio Interface back in 2011, and this was before they had the financial backing of a venture capital investment group. Whether they choose to try again or leave this up to RE devs remains to be seen, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PGR

28 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Jan 2019
PGR wrote:
28 Jan 2019

Korg Polysix
Where did they say that? Korg’s Polysix was demo’d In the Juice video by Magnus, but they made no mention of it in the video above.
Mattias in the comment section:

EnochLight

28 Jan 2019

PGR wrote:
28 Jan 2019
Mattias in the comment section:
Cool; thanks!

Looks like a won that betting pool I started. :lol: :lol: :lol:

korg_re_elk.jpg
korg_re_elk.jpg (73.94 KiB) Viewed 3189 times

dioxide

28 Jan 2019

Interestingly enough, the hardware has more CV ins and outs than the RE.

baloo

28 Jan 2019

Very inetersing project.
Does it possible to devs create pre-programmed chips with license and sell it with BOM list of details of kit to build DIY, or sell hardware DIY kits with all details?
Or this boxes must be pre-programmed by developers with his box and knobs, etc?

EnochLight

28 Jan 2019

baloo wrote:
28 Jan 2019
Very inetersing project.
Does it possible to devs create pre-programmed chips with license and sell it with BOM list of details of kit to build DIY, or sell hardware DIY kits with all details?
Or this boxes must be pre-programmed by developers with his box and knobs, etc?
ELK OS allows devs to run their RE's on traditionally low powered/low cost hardware, is all. The programming is already done (between ELK OS and the RE), although I would imagine that SDK support from the RE-side will be needed to port any RE's to ELK OS.

The big question is: what manufacturer is going to absorb the cost associated with bringing hardware to market to get this going?

bxbrkrz

28 Jan 2019

I am guessing the hardware will have an Ignition Key, or a USB port for your own Ignition Key with all your registered licenses eventually.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Catblack

13 Feb 2019

I've been thinking about how this technology would be practically applied. How the interface to it would have to work with knobs and cv and inputs and outputs. I could see this being used in a eurorack with a small screen as a hardware combinator. That is, you'd have a standard 4 buttons and 4 knobs and 4 cv in and probably 4 cv out. (And stop, I know the combinator needs to be updated with more knobs and cv... maybe a move to hardware will prompt them to update it, but I'm theorizing practically here.) And then with a hardware chip to authorize licences ala the Balance, you'd be able to have the screen display the combinator's programmer window, with perhaps some utility function screens for cpu usage, latency display and the like.

Anyway no telling what form this tech will take, but I kept thinking about this and that just using it for a single synth at a time seems like a lovely idea, having a knob for every knob on Expanse or Viking 2 or whatever... (And you still could, but you are in the realm of "why not just make a dedicated midi controller with those knobs?" territory.) But if you are going to go through the trouble of making something like this, I can't see why you wouldn't target the functionality that's already in Reason, the Combinator.

Of course you could have combinators chained together virtually inside the unit. And you use Reason to build the combinators you want.

Give it a good price point, say $150 for something basic with a screen, $250 with a bigger cpu, $350 with a bigger cpu and multiple audio outs and the ability to have more combinators outputting at once... (just spitballing the price points here.)

No telling what the marriage of ELK and Reason will be, but I think this is what I'd like to see.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2019

To imagine one form factor is just to look at Roland and their range of plug out hardware. I also think simple REs with few knobs on Eurorack it's likely, but hey a small display that lets you set what parameter to control makes sense. Just be prepared that they may also lock one HW to a specific RE or some REs.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Re8et
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2019

:ignition: Switchable audio/cv inputs....
32 digital I/o

It's not enough for Kron, which has something like 52 out, plus the inputs :)

Personally I would really like if some Eurorack format expansion boards, with all available I/O easily accessible, and a touchscreen, would come out the Reason department... in the meantime a SIKA would do just fine :thumbs_up: :ignition:

But it would have to let us users be able to load our combinators, from our library, thus extending our licence to one of this - mobile units - other than the offline laptop we all should have, and not just be standalone containers, but I guess every single RE developer out there would love to get one of these and start customizing its own combinators/presets, it may soon integrate them in the shop, and do market them as an Eurorack module in OEM mode . But the cost for those units could go all on RE developers will themselves, and slim the outcome at upper speed. \\

So for who has Reason licence, we could get our custom unit, OEM free, unlocked, and Reason would benefit from sales of say Reason 11 upgrade/full licences plus device of choice **(Pi is fine for me)
OEM versions would sale off the Propellerhead market, when proposed in OEM locked version from this or that RE dev/company, which may add custom touchscreen, reduce I/O, etc etc...

Question is, when will Propellerhead push the button.... :refillpacker: :question:
Sika.JPG
Sika.JPG (151.49 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
Last edited by Re8et on 24 Feb 2019, edited 6 times in total.

Re8et
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2019

Boombastix wrote:
13 Feb 2019
To imagine one form factor is just to look at Roland and their range of plug out hardware. I also think simple REs with few knobs on Eurorack it's likely, but hey a small display that lets you set what parameter to control makes sense. Just be prepared that they may also lock one HW to a specific RE or some REs.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I want to believe they will NOT follow the roland route, by any chance, unless they do not want to bankrupt.

Open community, Unlocked devices for loyal Reasoners, Early ACCESS. not the other way around. :idea:

They are already losing a ton of cash by delaying to this day the decision making.
Last edited by Re8et on 24 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Re8et
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
28 Jan 2019
mojo wrote:
28 Jan 2019
A foldable or scrollable screen...just to keep it portable :-)
pi3 has Wi-fi integrated!!

EnochLight

24 Feb 2019

Re8et wrote:
24 Feb 2019
I want to believe they will NOT follow the roland route, by any chance, unless they do not want to bankrupt.

Open community, Unlocked devices for loyal Reasoners
What does "unlocked devices" and "open community" mean? They'll most certainly go bankrupt if a proper business plan isn't implemented that continues to generate revenue.

Re8et
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2019

EnochLight wrote:
24 Feb 2019
Re8et wrote:
24 Feb 2019

Open community, Unlocked devices for loyal Reasoners
What does "unlocked devices" and "open community" mean? They'll most certainly go bankrupt if a proper business plan isn't implemented that continues to generate revenue.
It means not unlocked to an OS level or ghost partitions, which should properly handle all the security management very accurately, but only unlocked in a sense that the users, could freely download any RE instrument they have in their library, to the SIKA associated to their account, that's it.

Open community just mean share personal views, combinators, also sell refills at one point, it means community, not too greedy, but neither Santa Claus, somewhere in between...

Besides, a SIKA would not come cheap, HW will improve, so upgrading HW will generate revenue, but further the starting line, will not help.

Even if at one point a plug out scheme would be implemented, what about the stock devices? It could be done just with stock devices to begin. My two pennies it would still sell like hot cakes!

dioxide

01 Mar 2019

dioxide

01 Mar 2019

Not much to see to be honest, and I'm not a big fan of JR's style, but I thought I'd share them here. If anyone could get a MIDI Overflow error though, it would be Jordan ;)

There are also some details up on the Elk website about their Sushi DAW, which is the only DAW other than Reason that currently runs Rack Extensions.
https://www.mindmusiclabs.com/daw-like-sushi/

EnochLight

01 Mar 2019

dioxide wrote:
01 Mar 2019
Not much to see to be honest, and I'm not a big fan of JR's style
It reminds me of every Guitar Center nightmare, where you have that "one guy" who is jamming on a guitar in the middle of the store. Everyone secretly hates that one guy.

QVprod

02 Mar 2019

dioxide wrote:
01 Mar 2019
Not much to see to be honest, and I'm not a big fan of JR's style
EnochLight wrote:
01 Mar 2019
It reminds me of every Guitar Center nightmare, where you have that "one guy" who is jamming on a guitar in the middle of the store. Everyone secretly hates that one guy.
As a keyboard player, I think he's incredible. However, sadly he's terrible at demonstrating products...not that he was trying to in this video.

• Information