Playing notes with midi controller on instrument with CV gate input?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
DoctoralHermit

08 Jan 2019

I'd like to play the notes for an instrument on my midi controller, but not have them trigger the sound. Instead, I want the sound to be triggered by a CV gate input, so I just control what note it's playing. I feel dumb for not being able to figure this out myself!

selig
RE Developer

08 Jan 2019

DoctoralHermit wrote:
08 Jan 2019
I'd like to play the notes for an instrument on my midi controller, but not have them trigger the sound. Instead, I want the sound to be triggered by a CV gate input, so I just control what note it's playing. I feel dumb for not being able to figure this out myself!
One approach I've used:
It's actually not as simple as it sounds, and the easiest synth to create this effect with is Thor.
There is a patch called "Trigger on C1 Split [run]" which is located in the FSB, Combinator Patches, Performance Patches, Arpeggiated.
You can substitute the built in pattern for your own (patch a gate signal into CV2 In on Thor), or record a series of triggers by playing C1/36 on your keyboard while playing notes/chords on the rest of the keyboard.
Obviously, the limitation with this approach is it only works for Thor, and you would have to modify this patch to create your own sound.

There's another approach which is also not without limitations, and that is to use a Player CV/Note device to merge note and gate data (two players, actually). I used LoveOne's MIDI-CV Convertor, but there's also a free Player though I'm not positive it will work for this. I created two Players, took MIDI Note out of the first into the second, and used an external Gate into the second Player's Gate In. Both Players were set to mono CV, not Poly CV (which doesn't work for this application because the gate signal is monophonic). The "gotcha" with this approach is the note data doesn't "hold", so you can't let go of the note or you will hear a super-low note played with incoming gate signals.

Maybe there's an easier way to achieve, this, but it's not coming to me at present - anyone else got anything (not feeling especially clever this morning!)?
Selig Audio, LLC

ScuzzyEye

08 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
08 Jan 2019
Maybe there's an easier way to achieve, this, but it's not coming to me at present - anyone else got anything (not feeling especially clever this morning!)?
How about getting the Note data from the good ol' RPG-8? Turn the arp off, and set it to Hold, so the note doesn't drop.

• Information