The Echo As Soundmangler

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Loque

20 Dec 2018

I think a few ppl already recognized, that i am more into weird sounds and that i like feedback loops and The Echo. While i am playing around with the Comb Filter in Complex-1 and the awsome Flute patches, i tried to play around more with The Echo as a Comb Filter, where comb filtering is a short delay including a filter in the feedback loop. And that is, what The Echo has on board.

If The Echo had better control over the time settings, so you can change small amounts of time, it would be even more fun to add an LFO and use it as a flanger. But tg, it has a own modulator on board, which moudlates the pitch and this comes handy when trying to "flange" a sound. So also feel free, to play around with the modulator, filter and timings.

Here is a lil example of The Echo has some kind of comb filter module. Dont forget to enable The Echo in the Combinator to get the difference.
The Echo As Soundmangler.zip
(2.75 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
The Echo As Soundmangler (weirder).zip
(2.79 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Reason12, Win10

mjxl

24 Dec 2018

I was messing around all day with that Echo aswell, putting a buttload of stuff through it and see what happens..

Now i added your thing in an empty project, put a Europa wiht it with QNG, added Echo + Scream + RV7K as send effects, dialed in a bit, and it feels like pure anarchy.

I hear explosions and shit crackling etc, insane lol.

Very nice sound from that combinator

selig
RE Developer

24 Dec 2018

Loque wrote: If The Echo had better control over the time settings, so you can change small amounts of time, it would be even more fun to add an LFO and use it as a flanger.
The Echo has very fine control from the CV input, just not from the knob. To access it, use Thor and one of it’s rotaries to send out CV1 into the Delay CV input of The Echo. Limit the range for the CV input on the back of The Echo to 2%, and on a Combinator limit the range from 10-127.

Set the Time knob on The Echo to it’s minimum, and assign Feedback to another combi knob. Then use LFO 2 from Thor as a pitch mod (also sending it out CV1), then control the depth of that mod slot from another Rotary on the Combinator. Makes a very nice flanger IMO!
:)

Check out my Combinator from the Factory Sound Bank demonstrating another approach to flagging, also using The Echo (it’s called Through Zero Flanger, in ALL FX/MODULATION/FLANGER - PHASER)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

05 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
24 Dec 2018
Loque wrote: If The Echo had better control over the time settings, so you can change small amounts of time, it would be even more fun to add an LFO and use it as a flanger.
The Echo has very fine control from the CV input, just not from the knob. To access it, use Thor and one of it’s rotaries to send out CV1 into the Delay CV input of The Echo. Limit the range for the CV input on the back of The Echo to 2%, and on a Combinator limit the range from 10-127.

Set the Time knob on The Echo to it’s minimum, and assign Feedback to another combi knob. Then use LFO 2 from Thor as a pitch mod (also sending it out CV1), then control the depth of that mod slot from another Rotary on the Combinator. Makes a very nice flanger IMO!
:)

Check out my Combinator from the Factory Sound Bank demonstrating another approach to flagging, also using The Echo (it’s called Through Zero Flanger, in ALL FX/MODULATION/FLANGER - PHASER)

Pretty cool tip! Thanks!
The Echo Dancing around with CV.zip
(3.66 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Sadly the other parameter dont have a CV :?

And here i think i gone a bit too far :-D
The Echo Dancing around with CV oh dear.zip
(4.09 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Reason12, Win10

moneykube

06 Jan 2019

interesting :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: thanx
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

m.arthur

06 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
24 Dec 2018
Whoa, great information, I would *never* have known this! Can I ask though why 2%, specifically, on the Echo CV input and why 10-127 on the combi? Are these specific numbers chosen for a reason, or are they somewhat arbitrary? And lastly, could you specify what role the mentioned Combi is playing in the above scenario? It's not clear in the sentence how the Combi actually fits in..

thanks again though for all the insight, your info is super useful as always!
-M

selig
RE Developer

06 Jan 2019

m.arthur wrote: Whoa, great information, I would *never* have known this! Can I ask though why 2%, specifically, on the Echo CV input and why 10-127 on the combi? Are these specific numbers chosen for a reason, or are they somewhat arbitrary? And lastly, could you specify what role the mentioned Combi is playing in the above scenario? It's not clear in the sentence how the Combi actually fits in..

thanks again though for all the insight, your info is super useful as always!
-M
The settings are to produce a flanger type effect. They are starting points for other effects, but you can’t stray too far and still have the level of control needed for flanger type effects.

The Combinator is used to preserve the CV routing between Thor and The Echo (which are not stored as a part of patches), and to provide dedicated controls for the effect.

Selig Audio, LLC

• Information