How to record Reaktor sequencer into Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
monzo

06 Nov 2018

Hi,

I've been trying to record the MIDI output from a basic sequencer in Reaktor 6, into a Reason MIDI track, but nothing seems to record (the clip is blank, and disappears when recording is stopped), and I don't seem to have much luck assigning it to drive another instrument to record it that way. Don't think it's to do with my setup as the standard Players work fine.

I'm obviously missing a trick somewhere, does anyone have any tips for doing this, or can point me to any tutorials that cover it?

Thanks in advance :)

selig
RE Developer

06 Nov 2018

The way I've gotten it to work is to use audio outputs in Reaktor for the Gate and CV signals, then convert audio to CV in Reason using Thor (CV in to Audio out in Mod Matrix, "amount" set to 100).

BUT there's one thing to remember - all signals in Reason are 0-1 or -1 to +1. So when you send out note data you FIRST have to divide by 127 so Reason can "read" it accurately. Gate data is already within this range so it's fine as is. Use outputs 3-4 just to be sure you keep the CV signals separate from the rest of the audio signals.
Selig Audio, LLC

monzo

07 Nov 2018

selig wrote:
06 Nov 2018
The way I've gotten it to work is to use audio outputs in Reaktor for the Gate and CV signals, then convert audio to CV in Reason using Thor (CV in to Audio out in Mod Matrix, "amount" set to 100).

BUT there's one thing to remember - all signals in Reason are 0-1 or -1 to +1. So when you send out note data you FIRST have to divide by 127 so Reason can "read" it accurately. Gate data is already within this range so it's fine as is. Use outputs 3-4 just to be sure you keep the CV signals separate from the rest of the audio signals.
Ah ok, I'll give that a try. Thanks for the reply.

kungubu

07 Nov 2018

selig wrote:
06 Nov 2018

Could you explain this so I get it. I have got an acceptable result just by taking the the cv from reaktor to reason as audio (just lowering the output form reaktor a bit - 0.4 - 0.5). This way note cv tracks at least 2-3 octaves, which is usually enough for me. When you say it tracks correctly if you divide by 127, you mean you pass the signal trough the math module divide and add a constant of 127 just before the terminal out?

selig
RE Developer

07 Nov 2018

kungubu wrote:
selig wrote:
06 Nov 2018

Could you explain this so I get it. I have got an acceptable result just by taking the the cv from reaktor to reason as audio (just lowering the output form reaktor a bit - 0.4 - 0.5). This way note cv tracks at least 2-3 octaves, which is usually enough for me. When you say it tracks correctly if you divide by 127, you mean you pass the signal trough the math module divide and add a constant of 127 just before the terminal out?
I mean literally divide by 127 using a divide module in Reaktor. I can give full examples in the morning if this is not clear. :)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

kungubu

08 Nov 2018

selig wrote:
07 Nov 2018
kungubu wrote:
I mean literally divide by 127 using a divide module in Reaktor. I can give full examples in the morning if this is not clear. :)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
I didn't have my computer at hand when I read your post. Now I have tried, and I obviously don't understand what you mean, since it don't work for me.

But the way I have been doing it up to now actually seems to track with the sequencers I use.The sequencers go from C-2 to C8 and when you take the virtual voltage in to reason you get a value from 000 to 127. Used as pitch voltage it will track about an octave before it gets sharp. But if you attenuate the virtual voltage in reaktor by .5 I get a voltage that in reason gives yo values from 000 to 120 which corresponds to C-2 to C8. I tried it and it actually gives a correct pitch all the way up to C8. The setting looks like this:
SQ1.png
SQ1.png (797.53 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
SQ2.png
SQ2.png (110.34 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
If I divide the the virtual voltage out from reaktor the values I get corresponds to dividing values between 000 and 127 by 127, which means I get a value range between 000 and 001. The way I did this looked like this:
SQD1.png
SQD1.png (102.28 KiB) Viewed 1047 times

Obviously you mean something else when yo say divide by 127.

I don't know if you need different solutions to different sequencers in reaktor.
I mainly use the Bento SEQ, the Kodiak SEQ and the XY SEQ in Blocks, and with those the virtual voltage attenuation by .5 seems to work fine.
But if you have a trick that works better I would really like to know how it works.

selig
RE Developer

08 Nov 2018

kungubu wrote:
08 Nov 2018

Obviously you mean something else when yo say divide by 127.

I don't know if you need different solutions to different sequencers in reaktor.
I mainly use the Bento SEQ, the Kodiak SEQ and the XY SEQ in Blocks, and with those the virtual voltage attenuation by .5 seems to work fine.
But if you have a trick that works better I would really like to know how it works.
There are two different "standards" for pitch in Reaktor, MIDI notes (for Primary and Core) which typically run from 0-127 (but can exceed that range for frequencies outside of that range), and 0-1 in Blocks. I assumed primary models were being used, and forgot about the different pitch standard introduced with Blocks.

For Blocks sequences you have a few options to convert. In the Thor convertor you can scale by a Rotary set to 120 and it tracks 8 octaves perfectly. You can also multiply by values between 0.941 to 0.948 (I'd suggest 0.945) in Reaktor and also get perfect tracking. Or you can just do what you're doing with the audio level, since an audio level of -0.5 = a level of "120" when converted to the 0-127 range, which of course is the value I used in Thor to compensate and is exactly equal to your value of -0.5 dB.

However, if you send MIDI notes from any Primary or Core modules out of Reaktor's audio outputs, you need to divide by 127.

Details:
Bento uses a 0.1 per octave standard for pitch, with C-2 = 0.0, C-1 = 0.1, C-0 = 0.2, C1 = 0.3, C2 = 0.4, C3 = 0.5 (middle C is the half way point), C4 = 0.6, C5 = 0.7, C6 = 0.8, C7 = 0.9, and C8 = 1.0, for 120 possible values in total. The sequencer doesn't provide values outside of this range, unlike the rest of Reaktor.

In contrast, notes in the main part of Reaktor ("Pitch" values) are based on MIDI note numbers (but can exceed 0-127 for additional values, where negative numbers simply go lower which is useful for pitch tracking LFOs). Plus, the mid point for MIDI is 64, which aligns to the "E" above middle "C", which is a part of the discrepancy between these two "standards" in Reaktor.
The other and more important discrepancy is the fact that Blocks in Reaktor covers 120 values, while MIDI in Reaktor and Reason covers 127. This is why you need to multiply by around 0.945 (120/127=0.94488189) when converting between Reaktor Blocks and Reason CV BUT you need to divide by 127 when converting from Primary/Core modules in Reaktor.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

kungubu

08 Nov 2018

Thanks for the clarification. Suspected there was a difference. Didn't use reaktor that much before blocks. Seemed to be to much code - have always preferred to think in terms of voltages. But good to know if I start using sequencers outside blocks.

• Information