Going to have my a dedicated music room soon for the first time

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
manisnotabird

27 Oct 2017

I'm going to be moving in August 2018 to a new place, where I'll have a spare bedroom all my own for my music making. Looking for advice about studio desks/monitors/acoustic treatment. Right now I'm working pretty much exclusively on headphones in a corner of the living room of an apartment, so this will be a big change. My gear is: iMac, 49 key MIDI keyboard, volca keys & beats, Microbrute, lots of guitar pedals, electric guitar, Yahama THR10 amp. I also want to purchase a small 5-watt tube amp sometime after I move, and so I want to be able to record that (I already have an SM57). Right now I have two cheap IKEA desks for my stuff. The room will also need to house a fold-out bed for guests.

selig

27 Oct 2017

manisnotabird wrote:
27 Oct 2017
I'm going to be moving in August 2018 to a new place, where I'll have a spare bedroom all my own for my music making. Looking for advice about studio desks/monitors/acoustic treatment. Right now I'm working pretty much exclusively on headphones in a corner of the living room of an apartment, so this will be a big change. My gear is: iMac, 49 key MIDI keyboard, volca keys & beats, Microbrute, lots of guitar pedals, electric guitar, Yahama THR10 amp. I also want to purchase a small 5-watt tube amp sometime after I move, and so I want to be able to record that (I already have an SM57). Right now I have two cheap IKEA desks for my stuff. The room will also need to house a fold-out bed for guests.

We are on similar paths. Right now I'm on a Bose bluetooth speaker and phones in the corner of the living room! You got me beat with your future room size though. Mine is going to be around 9.5x9 feet! Smallest room I've worked in for a long time.

I'm looking at this studio desk:
https://output.com/products/platform?gc ... JAQAvD_BwE

And I've been talking to the folks at GIK acoustics (spoke with them at the last AES show a few weeks ago) about doing the treatments for the room.
http://www.gikacoustics.com

I don't have the time or resources to build my own here in NYC, and these folks come highly recommended by a few friends.

I'm a fan of point source (coaxial) monitors for years now, and have been extremely happy with my Equator D8 and D5s.

Good luck with the fold out bed - we had to move ours into the living room because there was no way it would fit with the studio desk in such a small space!

Also consider putting as much as you can on the walls - guitar holders, mount mic stands there, lighting, etc. I'm going to be trying to keep everything I can off the floor to keep the space from feeling too small!
Selig Audio, LLC

manisnotabird

27 Oct 2017

I'm not even sure if it's good or bad that the room is sort of an odd shape. And where should I put the desk in a room shaped like that?

selig

27 Oct 2017

manisnotabird wrote:
27 Oct 2017
I'm not even sure if it's good or bad that the room is sort of an odd shape. And where should I put the desk in a room shaped like that?
Disregarding any other furniture issues, I'd first try it on the angled wall if just for the fact that will give you the most symmetry from the listening position. To be more clear, I'd put it NEAR that wall, but not too close if you can get away with is.

EDIT: trying to the quick math, and looking at your drawing (which isn't square though it says 12x12), the angled wall looks to be around 4' long. This means a typical 5' or so desk won't fit exactly there, but again you don't want it to be flush against the wall if possible because you don't want your speakers to be against the wall if at all possible.

Putting a studio desk there DEFINITLY leaves no room for a typical sofa bed...
I measured our sofa bed (it's full size) and it's 6' x 3.5' as a sofa, 6' x 8' as a bed.
Things are going to be TIGHT either way for you, I'm afraid! Unless you have a smaller sofa bed and a smaller studio desk than what I'm looking at, you won't get both into that space.
Selig Audio, LLC

SidneyStevens

14 Jul 2018

You must have got your music room prepared till now. I am also getting my room reconstructed this month and thinking to buy a stylish furniture from this source, about which I came to know by browsing the internet a few days back. I liked the way you have structured your room. Hope so that I will get my room done with new layout and furniture soon.

sublunar

14 Jul 2018

I don't have anything substantial to add other than to say it's an amazing feeling ain't it?!

The biggest selling point to me when I moved was the finished basement with the odd room off to the side that happens to be PERFECT for a music room. It's all set up now and it's a great feeling every time I walk into it.

During the move I discovered the desk that I had managed to end up with as my studio desk has an asset tag on it from the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works (I'm from Saint Louis MO btw). This means that myself and my music is all surely radioactive now. Sweet!

• Information