T&T How to automatically make ALT-Tracks while running a loop.

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2017

A question was asked "How do I set up recurring midi TAKE in LANES while looping where each pass is a new lane and I do not HEAR the previous take."

Uses
EMI

Setup:

Midi Loopback, the one I use is loopMidi
http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software.html (Windows)

Setting up Midi ports (loopback) of a Mac.

The IAC bus allows you to create any number of virtual MIDI buses. This driver is built-in to OS X (since OS X 10.4) and can be activated in the Audio/MIDI Setup Utility.

To begin, launch Audio/MIDI Setup and select "Show MIDI Window" from the "Window" menu.

Now double-click the IAC Driver icon and check the option "Device is online" in order to activate it.

Add the ports you need from within this window.

To see a full list of my tips and tricks please see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Poly Madness
(Electronic) Solar Dance
(Electronic) Into The Night
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Carly(Poohbear) on 17 Dec 2017, edited 3 times in total.

jappe

27 Oct 2017

Great tip, thanks!
Been on my Reason feature wish list for some time.

WongoTheSane

28 Oct 2017

That's rather ingenious. Great tip.

Catblack

28 Oct 2017

I tried to make an advanced automatic version of this using Remote to detect if the playhead was at the right marker. (And some other conditions were met.) But I couldn't get accurate reporting of the playhead inside Remote. So this tip is the way to do it, even though it's inelegant.

There should be a transport bar control for having automatic note lanes inside a loop.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Oquasec

29 Oct 2017

Reason had comping since version 7 but this is most likely not the same thing.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

31 Oct 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
27 Oct 2017

Uses
EMI
Uses
EMI

Requires
MIDI loopback software.

;)

Thanks for posting it, this is a smart workaround, and ideal just to have parked and ready for transport in the startup template.

I do think, though, that if you're going to do a short video on such a specific function, it needs to actually show to do it. You've shown the bits involved, but not how it's done because you've already done them, merely zoomed in on the result. There's going to be users who might struggle there, like, the very first person who commented on that video. It's fairly easy, but unless you know where the bits are, I agree it's not totally obvious, especially for inexperienced users.

Still, we all know a feature like this is fruit hanging so low you need to bend down to even eat it off the branch, as users should not need to install additional software to do this. Auto-ALT MIDI should have been native to Reason years ago, and given audio does do Auto-ALT, it's doubly egregious that it wasn't applied to MIDI as well, at least as far back as R6. Anyone paying attention would have this in a 10.0.09 dev build by the end of the day.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
31 Oct 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
27 Oct 2017

Uses
EMI
Uses
EMI

Requires
MIDI loopback software.

;)

Thanks for posting it, this is a smart workaround, and ideal just to have parked and ready for transport in the startup template.

I do think, though, that if you're going to do a short video on such a specific function, it needs to actually show to do it. You've shown the bits involved, but not how it's done because you've already done them, merely zoomed in on the result. There's going to be users who might struggle there, like, the very first person who commented on that video. It's fairly easy, but unless you know where the bits are, I agree it's not totally obvious, especially for inexperienced users.

Still, we all know a feature like this is fruit hanging so low you need to bend down to even eat it off the branch, as users should not need to install additional software to do this. Auto-ALT MIDI should have been native to Reason years ago, and given audio does do Auto-ALT, it's doubly egregious that it wasn't applied to MIDI as well, at least as far back as R6. Anyone paying attention would have this in a 10.0.09 dev build by the end of the day.
Totally fair comment, I have covered in more details about the midi loopback in other videos I have done recently, I have updated youtube to point to that set of videos, I also plan on just doing one video about EMI and Midi loopback, go over the install of loopback S/W, setting up the surface controller, midi ports etc.

I did not realise until recently just how often I use EMI, just 2nd nature now. hmm is there that many short falls in Reason, just thankful we can use workarounds, even messy ones LOL

Re8et
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2017

I'd call this a hack more than a tip! Great info! thnx.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
31 Oct 2017
FYI: Video updated, also link in video for beginners guide on how to fully setup EMI, Midi Loopback and a surface controller.

dpcoffin

26 Nov 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
25 Nov 2017

FYI: Video updated, also link in video for beginners guide on how to fully setup EMI, Midi Loopback and a surface controller.
Fabulous as usual, Carly; I've loved every tutorial of yours I've watched, stellar ideas (they suit me perfectly, anyway :) ), very clear and detailed presentation—keep it up and many thanks!

dpc

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

29 Nov 2017

dpcoffin wrote:
26 Nov 2017

Fabulous as usual, Carly; I've loved every tutorial of yours I've watched, stellar ideas (they suit me perfectly, anyway :) ), very clear and detailed presentation—keep it up and many thanks!

dpc
So glad you find them useful...

I do have a very special one coming up (well I think it's super special) which should be out before Xmas but I may only do it for my youtube subscribers or release it to my youtube subscribers first :) Yeah I'm quite excited about this one...

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

03 Dec 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
25 Nov 2017
Cool!

I'll just say for the record, I think this is coolest damn trick (except when I forget to either turn it off on my updated template and it loops when I didn't want it, or copy it across to an older track to use it there because pressing Stop and clicking New Lane is so damn hard-wired into Reason production muscle-memory... but those are hardly the trick's fault :lol: ) and it's one that should long have been added: Reason needed to be doing this this natively. Add it to Reason 10.1 and I might upgrade, as things like this are also things that add value to users on a near-daily basis, and arguably more value than a hundred more kick samples they'll never use. Just sayin' ;)

Catblack

03 Dec 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
03 Dec 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
25 Nov 2017
Cool!

I'll just say for the record, I think this is coolest damn trick (except when I forget to either turn it off on my updated template and it loops when I didn't want it, or copy it across to an older track to use it there because pressing Stop and clicking New Lane is so damn hard-wired into Reason production muscle-memory... but those are hardly the trick's fault :lol: ) and it's one that should long have been added: Reason needed to be doing this this natively. Add it to Reason 10.1 and I might upgrade, as things like this are also things that add value to users on a near-daily basis, and arguably more value than a hundred more kick samples they'll never use. Just sayin' ;)
Absolutely. As I said above I tried to build a remote codec which would do this automatically -- a more advanced version of ljekio's Autolaner. But I really couldn't get an accurate reading on the playhead so I could fire off the alt take remotable. I couldn't even accurately see if you were a half second before or after hitting the right loop marker (My version also checked to see if you were recording and had looping enabled.)

Propellerhead needs to add this to the next point upgrade.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

12 Feb 2018

Spacebar pressed accidentally...

137 minutes later I've got 824 empty lanes....

It was the cat. That's my story and I'm sticking it to it, m'lud.

:lol:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
12 Feb 2018
Spacebar pressed accidentally...

137 minutes later I've got 824 empty lanes....

It was the cat. That's my story and I'm sticking it to it, m'lud.

:lol:
It's the dogs in my house that get the blame :D

Anyway please thank the cat for me, nice soak testing ;)

TheGodOfRainbows

14 Feb 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
31 Oct 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
27 Oct 2017

Uses
EMI
Uses
EMI

Requires
MIDI loopback software.

;)

I too am not only AMAZED an 'auto-ALT' for MIDI has not been implemented in Reason, in 2018, I can't believe more people aren't clamouring louder and in greater numbers. It's weird. It bothers me basically every time I want to lay down tracks, which is more than annoying, its a workflow LOGJAM. For me at least.'

But props to Carly. Beautiful trick. I love smart workarounds like this. Well done.

Simontho

22 Mar 2018

Love this workaround, thanks for sharing! I automated the “record” button near the end of the right loop point in the same way so I can punch in to record for a single loop cycle without having to hit the record button twice.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2018

Simontho wrote:
22 Mar 2018
Love this workaround, thanks for sharing! I automated the “record” button near the end of the right loop point in the same way so I can punch in to record for a single loop cycle without having to hit the record button twice.
Yep using this sort method you can do punch in and out that's what is lovely about this sort of thing..... :D

challism

12 Jun 2018

Excellent tip here, Carly. Thanks for sharing!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2018

challism wrote:
12 Jun 2018
Excellent tip here, Carly. Thanks for sharing!
You are more than welcome, don't forget my other T&T's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909 :D

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

challism

12 Jun 2018

I'm going thru all of them :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

kuhliloach

13 Jun 2018

lol @ fruit hanging so low you need to bend down to even eat it off the branch

• Information