Subsequent 37: New Standard. Minimoog is Dead.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Post Reply
User avatar
O1B
Posts: 991
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

28 Aug 2017

Long Live the Phattys!

Moog Music today announced that it is discontinuing the Sub 37 Tribute Edition and replacing it with the Subsequent 37, the little brother of the previously introduced Subsequent 37 CV.

Moog describes the Subsequent 37 as ‘The New Standard’ – which positions the new monosynth as not just the replacement for the Sub 37, but as a replacement for the company’s discontinued Minimoog line. …



Subsequent 37 CV $1799
Custom aluminum aesthetic
Assignable CV & Gate outputs

2x the headroom of original Sub 37
Modified Filter section
Re-tuned Multi-Drive circuit
High-powered headphone amplifier
Upgraded Keybed
Limited to 2,000 pieces worldwide
Image
Subsequent 37 $1499
2x the headroom of original Sub 37
Modified Filter section
Re-tuned Multi-Drive circuit
High-powered headphone amplifier
Upgraded Keybed

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1172
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

29 Aug 2017

Awesome sound. The drive / distortion on this thing sounds gorgeous. Would love to get one of these. A bit pricey over here in Australia though. Actually I'd like a desktop version, which I guess would shave a few dollars of the price. I prefer the silver panel of the Subsequent 37 CV to the Sub / Subsequent 37 as well.

https://www.soundseasy.com.au/collectio ... ynthesizer

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 991
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

18 Sep 2017

I LOVE this synth - the Monosynth for me. The Keyboard Action. The Depth. The Experimentation.
Image
Sub 37 Upgrade
We recently released the Subsequent 37, an updated version of an already wonderful instrument in the original Sub 37 (MusicTech.net’s Gold Award winner for “Best Hardware” 2015, and “Best Keyboard/Synth of 2016” from SoundOnSound). We hope that you will continue to enjoy your Sub 37 in light of the new Subsequent 37 release, as they are both excellent tools for creative expression, each with their own sonic flavor.

If you feel that you would prefer the features of the Subsequent 37 over the features of your original Sub 37, we will be offering an upgrade option for existing Sub 37 owners (we’ll need a little time to get the parts together). You can signup below to receive an email once the full details are available. In the meantime, please continue to enjoy your Sub 37—it is a fantastic instrument on its own merit and will bring you countless hours of enjoyment.


Love,
Your friends at Moog

http://moogmusic.us2.list-manage.com/su ... d4cf083c4

User avatar
jayhosking
Posts: 423
Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Contact:

09 Jun 2018

Just a quick update, if anybody's interested: I bought one of these beasts. It is as beautiful as I'd hoped. It sounds incredible (especially thanks to the multidrive and feedback), but more importantly, the layout and keys are almost endlessly inspiring. With a little delay and/or reverb, it is so easy to get lost in the joy of making sound.

And a nice bonus, maybe even a critical point for me: its hardware maps really nicely to some of Reason's best REs, like the Legend or VK-2. I'd argue that it's a better controller than something like the Nektar Panorama series.

I can't recommend this little beast enough, if you're thinking about getting a hardware synth.

jimmyklane
Posts: 540
Joined: 16 Apr 2018

09 Jun 2018

:evil:
jayhosking wrote:
09 Jun 2018
Just a quick update, if anybody's interested: I bought one of these beasts. It is as beautiful as I'd hoped. It sounds incredible (especially thanks to the multidrive and feedback), but more importantly, the layout and keys are almost endlessly inspiring. With a little delay and/or reverb, it is so easy to get lost in the joy of making sound.

And a nice bonus, maybe even a critical point for me: its hardware maps really nicely to some of Reason's best REs, like the Legend or VK-2. I'd argue that it's a better controller than something like the Nektar Panorama series.

I can't recommend this little beast enough, if you're thinking about getting a hardware synth.
+100
DAW: Reason 10,

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

User avatar
sublunar
Posts: 348
Joined: 27 Apr 2017

14 Jun 2018

The sub 37 is definitely the next synth I'm getting. Been eyeing them up for a long while now but I've already got two synths and I'm more of a guitarist anyway..

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1172
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

14 Jun 2018

Still my dream synth. Would love to own of these for the sounds quality, build quality, interface, sound design & exploration ability. Just a wonderful thing. One day. Maybe ;)

jimmyklane
Posts: 540
Joined: 16 Apr 2018

14 Jun 2018

O1B wrote:
28 Aug 2017
Long Live the Phattys!

Moog Music today announced that it is discontinuing the Sub 37 Tribute Edition and replacing it with the Subsequent 37, the little brother of the previously introduced Subsequent 37 CV.

Moog describes the Subsequent 37 as ‘The New Standard’ – which positions the new monosynth as not just the replacement for the Sub 37, but as a replacement for the company’s discontinued Minimoog line. …



Subsequent 37 CV $1799
Custom aluminum aesthetic
Assignable CV & Gate outputs

2x the headroom of original Sub 37
Modified Filter section
Re-tuned Multi-Drive circuit
High-powered headphone amplifier
Upgraded Keybed
Limited to 2,000 pieces worldwide
Image
Subsequent 37 $1499
2x the headroom of original Sub 37
Modified Filter section
Re-tuned Multi-Drive circuit
High-powered headphone amplifier
Upgraded Keybed
I own 4 Slim Phattys, and can attest to the incredible sound of the overload/multidrive. I do, however, disagree that it’s in any way a replacement for the classic (for a reason) Minimoog. Two oscillators plus a sub does not make a 3 oscillator synth.

That said, the new Moogs are FAR more capable than the Minimoog. Having the “Moog sound” is an absolutely indispensable necessity in any studio (or bedroom!) that wants to make any type of electronic music. They have a heft to them that I’ve yet to find in any other synth that aren’t open Moog copies.
DAW: Reason 10,

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

User avatar
jayhosking
Posts: 423
Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Contact:

14 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
14 Jun 2018
They have a heft to them that I’ve yet to find in any other synth that aren’t open Moog copies.
I don't know. I've A/B'd the Subsequent 37 against the Legend pretty extensively now, using the Sub37 as a controller for the Legend, and I think the Legend sounds pretty gd close (albeit with some more options, due to being a Voyager clone). Beyond its verisimilitude, it sounds good, definitely what I'd call that Moog sound. If a person was looking for that sound—and not a nice handmade piece of gear, or a great hardware controller that feels awesome to tweak—I think the Legend is a pretty amazing steal.

jimmyklane
Posts: 540
Joined: 16 Apr 2018

14 Jun 2018

jayhosking wrote:
14 Jun 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
14 Jun 2018
They have a heft to them that I’ve yet to find in any other synth that aren’t open Moog copies.
I don't know. I've A/B'd the Subsequent 37 against the Legend pretty extensively now, using the Sub37 as a controller for the Legend, and I think the Legend sounds pretty gd close (albeit with some more options, due to being a Voyager clone). Beyond its verisimilitude, it sounds good, definitely what I'd call that Moog sound. If a person was looking for that sound—and not a nice handmade piece of gear, or a great hardware controller that feels awesome to tweak—I think the Legend is a pretty amazing steal.
I agree with you 100%, but you’re actually also agreeing with ME. The Legend is a Moog clone!
DAW: Reason 10,

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

User avatar
jayhosking
Posts: 423
Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Contact:

14 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
14 Jun 2018
I agree with you 100%, but you’re actually also agreeing with ME. The Legend is a Moog clone!
Hah! Very true.

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 551
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

15 Jun 2018

I'm totally happy with the sound I get from Arturia's Mini V (even if purists tend to rank it well behind the likes of Legend), and I don't think I'd buy a Subsequent 37 just for the sound, especially when in-the-box is so much more convenient. Even if I want something basically indistinguishable from the real thing, I can pipe Moog's new ultra-accurate Minimoog iPad app straight into Reason.

But the experience of playing on Moog hardware is something you can't come close to in software (and is probably why Moog had no problem making an app that duplicates the Moog sound so faithfully). The Sub 37 (and Subsequent) are beautiful pieces of design and engineering, and I'm always tempted when I see one for sale.
Professional Rack Extension user interface design
Pongasoft CVA-7 | ReSpire layout concept
New album Built Environments out now!

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 991
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

15 Jun 2018

Thread about Subsequent 37....

All the ITB people come to the hardware threads to belly ache about hardware - and talk about how ITB software is better. Nothing of substance. No acknowledgement of the differences.

If one goes to the Software thread and MENTIONS Hardware, you're scolded and told
'Hardware isn't important.' .... there'll be a whole thread even.

This site is fast becoming a joke, in this regard

Have fun!
Image
fieldframe wrote:
15 Jun 2018
I'm totally happy with the sound I get from Arturia's Mini V (even if purists tend to rank it well behind the likes of Legend), and I don't think I'd buy a Subsequent 37 just for the sound, especially when in-the-box is so much more convenient. Even if I want something basically indistinguishable from the real thing, I can pipe Moog's new ultra-accurate Minimoog iPad app straight into Reason.

But the experience of playing on Moog hardware is something you can't come close to in software (and is probably why Moog had no problem making an app that duplicates the Moog sound so faithfully). The Sub 37 (and Subsequent) are beautiful pieces of design and engineering, and I'm always tempted when I see one for sale.

jimmyklane
Posts: 540
Joined: 16 Apr 2018

15 Jun 2018

O1B wrote:
15 Jun 2018
Thread about Subsequent 37....

All the ITB people come to the hardware threads to belly ache about hardware - and talk about how ITB software is better. Nothing of substance. No acknowledgement of the differences.

If one goes to the Software thread and MENTIONS Hardware, you're scolded and told
'Hardware isn't important.' .... there'll be a whole thread even.

This site is fast becoming a joke, in this regard

Have fun!
Image
fieldframe wrote:
15 Jun 2018
I'm totally happy with the sound I get from Arturia's Mini V (even if purists tend to rank it well behind the likes of Legend), and I don't think I'd buy a Subsequent 37 just for the sound, especially when in-the-box is so much more convenient. Even if I want something basically indistinguishable from the real thing, I can pipe Moog's new ultra-accurate Minimoog iPad app straight into Reason.

But the experience of playing on Moog hardware is something you can't come close to in software (and is probably why Moog had no problem making an app that duplicates the Moog sound so faithfully). The Sub 37 (and Subsequent) are beautiful pieces of design and engineering, and I'm always tempted when I see one for sale.
Damn dude. I talk about my hardware all the time...I only get shouted down by a select few, only one of whom was nasty about it. I think this is a nice little forum, but it IS ReasonTalk....not Gearslutz, you know?
DAW: Reason 10,

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 6634
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

15 Jun 2018

O1B wrote:Thread about Subsequent 37....

All the ITB people come to the hardware threads to belly ache about hardware - and talk about how ITB software is better. Nothing of substance. No acknowledgement of the differences.

If one goes to the Software thread and MENTIONS Hardware, you're scolded and told
'Hardware isn't important.' .... there'll be a whole thread even.

This site is fast becoming a joke, in this regard

Have fun!
Image
fieldframe wrote:
15 Jun 2018
I'm totally happy with the sound I get from Arturia's Mini V (even if purists tend to rank it well behind the likes of Legend), and I don't think I'd buy a Subsequent 37 just for the sound, especially when in-the-box is so much more convenient. Even if I want something basically indistinguishable from the real thing, I can pipe Moog's new ultra-accurate Minimoog iPad app straight into Reason.

But the experience of playing on Moog hardware is something you can't come close to in software (and is probably why Moog had no problem making an app that duplicates the Moog sound so faithfully). The Sub 37 (and Subsequent) are beautiful pieces of design and engineering, and I'm always tempted when I see one for sale.
A “joke”? That’s not at all happening in this thread, why even bring it up and move the conversation that direction?

Seems like you’re inviting conflict where there is not, creating the “joke” you claim exists elsewhere. The comment you quoted extols the experience of playing on Moog hardware, the beauty of the Sub 37 design and engineering, and how tempting they are.

Talking about being scolded (when you are not) and non-existent “belly aching” just seems a bit odd.

Don’t create a self-fulfilling prophecy here!!!



Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
jayhosking
Posts: 423
Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Contact:

15 Jun 2018

fieldframe wrote:
15 Jun 2018
I'm totally happy with the sound I get from Arturia's Mini V (even if purists tend to rank it well behind the likes of Legend), and I don't think I'd buy a Subsequent 37 just for the sound, especially when in-the-box is so much more convenient. Even if I want something basically indistinguishable from the real thing, I can pipe Moog's new ultra-accurate Minimoog iPad app straight into Reason.

But the experience of playing on Moog hardware is something you can't come close to in software (and is probably why Moog had no problem making an app that duplicates the Moog sound so faithfully). The Sub 37 (and Subsequent) are beautiful pieces of design and engineering, and I'm always tempted when I see one for sale.
I can agree with this on all fronts. I’ve been tinkering with the Arturia Mini V over the last few days (trying to get to know that V Collection in a deeper way) and I find it very pleasing in its sound and parameter tweaking. That whole V Collection really is a creativity generator.

And yes. The Sub 37 is a gorgeous design that sounds incredible, feels incredible, looks incredible, and is an endless well of inspiration. Plus it’s so good a hardware controller that I’m seriously considering dropping my Nektar altogether. There’s room enough in this world for the box and the hardware!

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 991
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

15 Jun 2018

I'm totally happy with the sound I get from Arturia's Mini V
Even if I want something basically indistinguishable from the real thing
Moog had no problem making an app that duplicates the Moog sound so faithfully
The Point . Does anyone remember it anymore? HELLO??
This Thread was about Hardware.... yes? Yes.

It lasted for a minute.... talk of the S37... other options... fine..
Then ... it turned into a REASON RACK EXTENSION/ Software is better topic.

I do make sure to curb any talk of Hardware in to RE section.
- just to avoid the usual 'PC vs Mac' type Thing...

But, nope!

Every hardware thread will be graced unmercifully by AmsterdamGuitarGuy and a few others 'belly-aching' about how Software is Better..... JUST like this Thread.

Would you like to pretend this isn't happening, Selig?
You see what you what to see apparently. So do I.

So, it's okay to take a dump on Software threads about how Hardware is Better?
Even if it was, it isn't my style. Dissent, Options are fine!

It may be that the mods - you in particular - are on the side of Software (vs Hardware) in this regard.

selig wrote:
15 Jun 2018
O1B wrote:Thread about Subsequent 37....

All the ITB people come to the hardware threads to belly ache about hardware - and talk about how ITB software is better. Nothing of substance. No acknowledgement of the differences.

If one goes to the Software thread and MENTIONS Hardware, you're scolded and told
'Hardware isn't important.' .... there'll be a whole thread even.

This site is fast becoming a joke, in this regard

Have fun!
Image
A “joke”? That’s not at all happening in this thread, why even bring it up and move the conversation that direction?

Seems like you’re inviting conflict where there is not, creating the “joke” you claim exists elsewhere. The comment you quoted extols the experience of playing on Moog hardware, the beauty of the Sub 37 design and engineering, and how tempting they are.

Talking about being scolded (when you are not) and non-existent “belly aching” just seems a bit odd.

Don’t create a self-fulfilling prophecy here!!!



Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 991
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

15 Jun 2018

FYI: Moog Software THREAD

I follow it.
But, I do try to leave out the 'Sub 37, Phatty, SE-02, BeringerD, MS-20' chatter.
It's about software, after all...

I think that's Fair.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7507450
Image

User avatar
jayhosking
Posts: 423
Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Contact:

15 Jun 2018

O1B wrote:
15 Jun 2018
The Point . Does anyone remember it anymore? HELLO??
This Thread was about Hardware.... yes? Yes.

It lasted for a minute.... talk of the S37... other options... fine..
Then ... it turned into a REASON RACK EXTENSION/ Software is better topic.
1. It is extraordinarily difficult to follow your writing, so I may be misunderstanding you.
2. That said, you don't get to dictate what people do and do not talk about.
3. If we are discussing a Rack Extension that clones a piece of hardware, then it's reasonable to talk about how that RE fares in comparison to the hardware. If we are talking about hardware, it is fair to discuss its relationship to software emulations of it.
4. This discussion has lasted for much more than a minute, and was pretty interesting, inclusive, and generally positive until you jumped in attacking people for talking.
5. Absolutely no one is saying that "x is better than y". It's mostly been precisely the opposite of that.
6. The closest it got was someone saying "the software is good enough for me", which a) isn't the same, and b) is a minor digression in a thread full of enthusiasm for the hardware in question.
7. It reads as though you're being defensive when there's no need for it. No one here is attacking the legitimacy of hardware. I just bought one of these things! It is entirely reasonable, on a software forum, to talk about the Sub37's relationship to our software of choice. But mostly, we've just been talking about how the Sub37 is awesome.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 6634
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

15 Jun 2018

Oh come on now, ain’t no one saying “software is better than hardware” in this thread. That’s all I’m saying. Show me where someone said that!

As for me, I’m a hardware guy from back in the 70s, you’ll never hear me saying software is better. I use both, I love both. Don’t know how you got any different impression about me!

I play piano, I play drums, I play mini moog, I play JP8000, I play Reason, and sometimes bass and guitars too (total hack, but I own them and play them).

If you want to keep this about hardware, I can respect that. But it’s hard to only talk about one type of instrument in a software forum!

All I did was say that no one was doing what you said they were doing, and it’s still true!



Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 991
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

17 Jun 2018

YOUR POINTS
1. READING IS FUNDAMENTAL
Reading my quote below... Clear. Hardware. Sub 37.
.... Reading YOUR response.... Clarity? lol.

Ill write with a lot of space for you.
2. I am not dictating anything.

3-6. MISREPRESENTATIONS. but, dont bother trying to rehash further, pls.
I quoted the relevant passages - for those not so inclined to misrepresentations.

7. See Point 1. You didn't understand my writing... REMEMBER??

Have at it, my man.

jayhosking wrote:
15 Jun 2018
O1B wrote:
15 Jun 2018
The Point . Does anyone remember it anymore? HELLO??
This Thread was about Hardware.... yes? Yes.


It lasted for a minute.... talk of the S37... other options... fine..
Then ... it turned into a REASON RACK EXTENSION/ Software is better topic.
1. It is extraordinarily difficult to follow your writing, so I may be misunderstanding you.
2. That said, you don't get to dictate what people do and do not talk about.
3. If we are discussing a Rack Extension that clones a piece of hardware, then it's reasonable to talk about how that RE fares in comparison to the hardware. If we are talking about hardware, it is fair to discuss its relationship to software emulations of it.
4. This discussion has lasted for much more than a minute, and was pretty interesting, inclusive, and generally positive until you jumped in attacking people for talking.
5. Absolutely no one is saying that "x is better than y". It's mostly been precisely the opposite of that.
6. The closest it got was someone saying "the software is good enough for me", which a) isn't the same, and b) is a minor digression in a thread full of enthusiasm for the hardware in question.
7. It reads as though you're being defensive when there's no need for it. No one here is attacking the legitimacy of hardware. I just bought one of these things! It is entirely reasonable, on a software forum, to talk about the Sub37's relationship to our software of choice. But mostly, we've just been talking about how the Sub37 is awesome.

danc
Posts: 86
Joined: 14 Oct 2016

Yesterday

I have a Sub37 - had it since it was launched some years back. Moog launched a VST controller for it - so that I can drop it in the rack and all the knobs and switches can be automated to run along with my tunes. Useful in certain circumstances.

However - where I mainly use it is for creating great bases etc, sampling them... dropping them into something like NI's Form... adding even more meat to the bone and then automating Form. The point is this... the waveforms I can get out of the Sub37 in a lot of circumstances are better than what I can get out of plug-ins alone. However... in recent days I've been using D16 Lush101 and Dmitry Sches Thorn and they are both great sound engines.

Would I sell my Sub37? No. I've got a range of other hardware... and another favourite is my Roland Jupiter 80. Now that is a great complimentary synth to the Sub37, as it's so WARM and SMOOTH and SOLID.... whereas the Sub37 wants to punch your teeth in with its studded fists!
All my music created, produced and mastered in Reason 10


Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests