EMI: Program Change and Bank Select - how?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pummelfee

17 Jul 2017

I can send PC messages to my synth, but only from 0 to 127.
My Synth Roland XP) has more then 128 Sounds, in different banks. How can i save into the sequence, what sound the track should play?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 Jul 2017

Sorry, but read the manual on this, there is a selection on it however it refers to other parts so it's not a simple copy and paste etc.

A note about MIDI Bank Select
The MIDI Bank Select message is used for selecting specific banks of sounds/programs/presets in MIDI instruments
that feature several sound banks.
There is no specific panel control for MIDI Bank Select in the External MIDI Instrument device. However, you can use
the regular MIDI Controller automation described below for inserting Bank Select automation points. MIDI Bank Select
normally uses MIDI CC #0 and/or #32. Refer to the MIDI documentation of your specific instrument for details.
! Note that MIDI instruments that have several banks of sounds usually expect a Bank Select message to be immediately
followed by a Program Change message in order to change the bank and program/preset. In these
situations, sending only a Bank Select message - without a subsequent Program Change message - will not
change anything.
! Note that Reason only sends out MIDI CC data when they actually change. This means that you might have to
send a different “temporary” MIDI CC value just before you send the actual MIDI CC value. For example, if you
want to resend the value “1” for MIDI CC#32, first send another value (e.g. “0” or “2”) and then send the value
“1” immediately afterwards. You can do this by adding and/or moving automation points in the automation
clip for MIDI CC#32 in the sequencer, see “Editing parameter automation”.

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Solar Dance
(Electronic) Into The Night
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dante

19 Jul 2017

Very useful information

loopeydoug

21 Apr 2022

pummelfee wrote:
17 Jul 2017
I can send PC messages to my synth, but only from 0 to 127.
My Synth Roland XP) has more then 128 Sounds, in different banks. How can i save into the sequence, what sound the track should play?
Did you ever figure this out? I'm currently dealing with the same issue. I've tried both CC 0 and CC 32 and I can't get it to send out a bank change message. I think I understand the part in the manual that describes sending out a "temporary signal change" but I still can't get it to work.

barcsdad

28 Aug 2022

I've fought with this on my Microfreak for a long time. Sometimes I can get it to work, most times not. I upgraded to Reason 12 not too long ago. Now, none of my external synths are getting the "on-load" program change set for them from the Midi Out Device. I can toggle the patches from the device fine, just won't change when I load a song. I tried adding parameter automation to do it and that works. Scratching my head with this new issue. Never had a problem with this with Reason 10. I'm regretting shelling out for this update.

barcsdad

30 Aug 2022

I wanted to share how I do this to help people out. Visuals sometimes help. Hit me up if you have any questions. NOTE: Despite my previous post, this is currently working for me!

• Information