Mandela Effect

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Reasonistas
RE Developer

05 Jan 2017

So how many of you have heard of the "Mandela Effect"? Check out this article from BuzzFeed with 20 examples and share your thoughts. There are hundreds of examples on the internet. For example there are changes in the logos for Ford, Volkswagen and Volvo. Is the Matrix actually real?

We're just having fun here so please let's not attack each other over opposing views.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/christopherhud ... jamnmOdlG7

1. “Oscar Meyer” isn’t spelled that way.
In actuality, the famous brand of hot dogs and lunch meats is Oscar Mayer, but people have grown frustrated because they remember it as Meyer, with an “e.” A lot of people recall the jingle from the commercials and insist the lyrics were “My bologna has a first name, it’s O-S-C-A-R / My bologna has a second name, it’s M-A-Y-E-R!” Still, somehow, it’s actually Mayer, though many people think that’s the real bologna here.

2. The show isn’t called Sex in the City.
It’s Sex and the City, but many people insist they remember it being “in the” at some point. Some people have even posted pictures of old memorabilia they have that supports their false memory.

3. “We Are the Champions” by Queen ends differently than many recall.
Many of those familiar with the song remember the final lyrics being “No time for losers, ’cause we are the champions…of the world!” Guess what? There is no “of the world!” The song just ends, and it’s driving people crazy because they feel 100% sure that they’ve heard otherwise in the past.

4. People think the Monopoly man, Rich Uncle Pennybags, has a monocle, but he doesn’t.
Perhaps they’re just confusing him with Mr. Peanut, the Planters peanut mascot, who also wears a top hat and carries around a cane, but there are a number of people who can’t seem to grasp how the Monopoly man is monocle-less, when they’ve distinctly known him to have one.

5. The tip of Pikachu’s tail isn’t black.
People remember there being a black mark on Pikachu’s tail, but if you take a look at Pikachu now, you’ll see nothing there. How so many people can remember an aspect of this character’s appearance that doesn’t actually exist, the world may never know.

6. “The Berenstein Bears” are actually called “the Berenstain Bears.”
This is one of the more popular Mandela effect debates, in which some people seem to recall the book series/cartoon about a family of bears being known as The Berenstein Bears. However, if you look now, they’re actually called The Berenstain Bears. Many folks insist they remember it being spelled with an “e,” and one Redditor even found an old VHS tape of the cartoon, and the label shows “Berenstein.”

7. Curious George never had a tail.
A lot of people even claim to remember seeing him use his tail to swing from the trees. If you look up pictures of Curious George right now, you’ll see that he doesn’t have a tail, meaning either your memory made the whole thing up or you’ve, like, drifted into a parallel universe.

8. Chick-fil-A is not spelled Chic-fil-A, or Chik-fil-A.
There are a lot of people who insist they remember the popular fast-food chicken restaurant being known as Chic-fil-A, and there are even some who think it was Chik-fil-A. However, neither of those are correct, because the company has allegedly, supposedly, reputedly always been Chick-fil-A.

9. Darth Vader doesn’t say, “Luke, I am your father.”
“Luke, I am your father” is one of the most famous phrases from film, but many are discovering that it’s not what Darth Vader said. He actually says, “No, I am your father.” So, is this just a misremembered movie line or did some otherworldly shenanigans take place? This isn’t the only Star Wars–related Mandela effect instance…

10. C-3PO isn’t all gold.
Many Star Wars fanatics recall C-3PO being completely gold and were greatly thrown off upon discovering that he’s supposedly had a silver leg the entire time. A lot of memorabilia doesn’t even feature the silver leg. Needless to say it was a surprise to fans who have seen the films so many times, yet never noticed the distinct feature on a popular character.

11. Mister Rogers’ theme song opening line is different than people remember.
During the Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood intro, he’d sing a little jingle that many people remember beginning with the line, “It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood.” That’s not what it was, though — instead, he clearly states, “It’s a beautiful day in this neighborhood,” which just doesn’t sound right to those who feel like they know the correct wording without a shadow of a doubt.

12. People think the Mona Lisa is smiling now, but she used to be emotionless.
A lot of folks passionately insist that the Mona Lisa has changed, because they remember her having a straight face, but now they feel it seems as if she’s got a smirk.

13. Kit Kat doesn’t have a dash.
Some people seem to remember there being a dash in Kit Kat, making it “Kit-Kat,” but there isn’t one, and that frustrates them because they’re sure that once upon a time, there was one.

14. People remember a Sinbad genie movie from the ’90s, but there isn’t one.
Many claim to recall a genie movie from the ’90s that starred Sinbad; the only problem is, there never was one. Those same people insist they aren’t confusing it with the 1996 flick Kazaam, which starred Shaq as a genie. They don’t know the title, or what happened to the movie’s existence, but they’re all very certain that once upon a time, it was a thing.

15. Life isn’t like a box of chocolates.
It seems that the majority of people confidently remember Forrest Gump stating that his mama always said, “Life is like a box of chocolates.” Well, it turns out that he actually said, “Life was like a box of chocolates,” despite what you may’ve felt you distinctly remembered.

16. Hannibal Lecter never said “Hello, Clarice.”
If you’ve seen The Silence of the Lambs, you know the most famous line is “Hello, Clarice.” The only problem is, that never happened — and when Clarice first meets Hannibal Lecter, he simply says, “Good morning.” That’s it. How is a film’s most well-known line nonexistent? Nobody knows, and it’s eating away at people.

17. Interview With the Vampire isn’t called Interview With a Vampire.
It’s actually Interview With the Vampire, despite the fact that entering “Interview With” into Google shows Interview With a Vampire as the top search, because most people remember that being the title.

18. The Queen in Snow White never said, “Mirror, mirror on the wall.”
While the famous Snow White quote you’ve probably heard others say and repeated yourself is “Mirror, mirror on the wall,” it turns out the correct line is “Magic mirror on the wall.” Some people also remember the second part of that quote being “Who is the fairest of them all?” but apparently it’s “Who is the fairest one of all?”

19. Jiffy peanut butter doesn’t exist.
It’s called Jif, even though people remember the popular brand of peanut butter being called “Jiffy” and having a campaign that told mothers they could fix their kids a snack “in a jiffy.” Jiffy has certainly been embedded in the minds of many, and it was even spotted in American Dad, during an episode in which the character is uncovering a conspiracy.

20. Fruit Loops is actually spelled “Froot Loops.”
Some say it was originally “Fruit Loops” and then changed to “Froot Loops,” while others believe it went from “Froot Loops” to “Fruit Loops.” Many people claim this change happened during their childhood, while others say they just noticed it in recent months. Whatever you believe, if you google the cereal or find a box in real life, you’ll see “Froot Loops” printed across the front. Unless, of course, you’re reading this from some other dimension.
ImageImageImage

normen

05 Jan 2017

I think its more of a thing where we edit our memories with different experiences. It has been proven over and over that people who will swear they have a certain memory of something never actually had that experience. The mind fills blanks with other data it has at hand. If for example somebody often wears a red sweater and you're supposed to recall what he said in some moment and then get asked what did he wear at that time you're prone to say "a red sweater" if you didn't actually consciously looked at what he was wearing at that time. Your brain fills that blank with the most probable answer. And note its your brain, not your consciousness - your consciousness only gets the "data".

For example "We are the champions" has the "of the woorld.." at 2:30, the musical structure is the same at the end so your brain puts that together. "Luke, I am your father" is used when people make a reference to the movie - that reference is only clear when you add "Luke" because otherwise the other person might just go "Huh? My father? What?" - adding "Luke" will make it clear its a Star Wars reference. So if you heard the line in the movie maybe two times and heard the reference maybe ten times your mind will adapt the latter version and you wonder why its different in the movie.

This is especially true with written words because nobody reads words letter by letter, we "recognize" the word. Look at this for example:
So small differences don't really register with us. If we expect "Something-STEIN" we read "stein" instead of "stain".. And believe me I know what I am talking about given my name is NormEn, not NormAn ;)

Edit: And btw. I guess theres an audio mandela effect as well.. If you think about it you might believe Beatles Albums sounded great, but listen to them! Thin, grainy, distorted... :D

Creativemind

05 Jan 2017

I thought that Snow White one was, "Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all" but I was wrong.

I also if asked would have maybe gone with a dash being in Kit Kat but wouldn't have necessarily said there was one, only if someone said is there a dash in Kit Kat, I may have said yes and the C3PO one got me, I never noticed the bottom half of his right leg being silver either.

I kind of have one of my own. In the 90's, I swear there was another movie virtually the same as MenaceIISociety and I don't mean Boyz'n'theHood but no-one seems to recall one. I swear there was another film very similar to it around the same time but google throws up nothing either.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Reasonistas
RE Developer

05 Jan 2017

NormEn :lol:, much of what you wrote makes sense, but some of this explanation goes out the window when we are provided with images showing there was a difference at one point. For example the Volkswagen logo now has (or apparently always had) a space between the V and W:

Yes, there are countless of images of the VW logo without the space....some shown here:

There are many other visual proofs of the so called "Mandela Effect" so what gives? Have these images been altered to trick certain people? And if so, what is the purpose?
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

05 Jan 2017

Creativemind wrote:I thought that Snow White one was, "Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all" but I was wrong.

I also if asked would have maybe gone with a dash being in Kit Kat but wouldn't have necessarily said there was one, only if someone said is there a dash in Kit Kat, I may have said yes and the C3PO one got me, I never noticed the bottom half of his right leg being silver either.

I kind of have one of my own. In the 90's, I swear there was another movie virtually the same as MenaceIISociety and I don't mean Boyz'n'theHood but no-one seems to recall one. I swear there was another film very similar to it around the same time but google throws up nothing either.
Yeah the C-3PO one really gets me because I collected Star Wars action figures as a kid in the 80's and I definitely don't recall him having a silver leg. In fact, here is Anthony Daniels on the set with Gorge Lucas and no silver leg.

Hmm.
ImageImageImage

normen

05 Jan 2017

Noel G. wrote:NormEn :lol:, much of what you wrote makes sense, but some of this explanation goes out the window when we are provided with images showing there was a difference at one point. For example the Volkswagen logo now has (or apparently always had) a space between the V and W:

There are many other visual proofs of the so called "Mandela Effect" so what gives? Have these images been altered to trick certain people? And if so, what is the purpose?
Uhm, as far as I get it the "Mandela effect" is when many people say it was some way but the physical world doesn't give any evidence for that. What you mention is just an example for a change, no reason to call that "Mandela effect"? (Edit: btw, its called that way because many people seem to recall that Mandela died in the late 80s)

The VW logo in printed form has a separation, the metal thingy on the cars doesn't.. I guess you could call that "Mandela effect" when people mix up the two though.
Last edited by normen on 05 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

jonheal

05 Jan 2017

Love the '37 swastika V-Dub logo! :)
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Reasonistas
RE Developer

05 Jan 2017

normen wrote:
Noel G. wrote:NormEn :lol:, much of what you wrote makes sense, but some of this explanation goes out the window when we are provided with images showing there was a difference at one point. For example the Volkswagen logo now has (or apparently always had) a space between the V and W:

Uhm, as far as I get it the "Mandela effect" is when many people say it was some way but the physical world doesn't give any evidence for that. What you mention is just an example for a change, no reason to call that "Mandela effect"? (Edit: btw, its called that way because many people seem to recall that Mandela died in the late 80s)

The VW logo in printed form has a separation, the metal thingy on the cars doesn't.. I guess you could call that "Mandela effect" when people mix up the two though.
Actually, that's the point, there is plenty of evidence of the "Mandela Effect". Every VW vehicle today has the space between the V and the W on the logo, not just on paper and people who have investigated this say there is no record of the logo ever formally changing.

This same thing happened with Ford and Volvo:

As many recall the Ford logo:

The Ford logo today, again with no formal change announced anywhere:
ImageImageImage

normen

05 Jan 2017

Noel G. wrote:Actually, that's the point, there is plenty of evidence of the "Mandela Effect". Every VW vehicle today has the space between the V and the W on the logo, not just on paper and people who have investigated this say there is no record of the logo ever formally changing.
Can you quickly say what you say the definition for "Mandela Effect" is? As I said, I think its when many people THINK it was some way but theres no evidence for that. Just as theres no evidence that Mandela died in the 80s. There is evidence that on some VWs the symbol is actually connected (be it just because its floating in mid air and prone to bend otherwise).

FlowerSoldier

05 Jan 2017

I've heard it has something to do with the new d-wave quantum computer. It doesn't compute in a traditional sense. It actually processes using the infinite possible instances of our universe. From their website:

-The processor considers all possibilities simultaneously to determine the lowest energy required to form those relationships.
-Multiple solutions are returned to the user, scaled to show optimal answers.

Check out the video here:

This mother fucker is playing with other time streams and we are slipping in between them. For example, we slipped from a time stream where it was the Berenstein Bears, but in our current time stream, it is spelled Berenstain.

normen

05 Jan 2017

FlowerSoldier wrote:I've heard it has something to do with the new d-wave quantum computer. It doesn't compute in a traditional sense. It actually processes using the infinite possible instances of our universe.
Actually according to them these depend on having the quantum states NOT interact with "the real world" as they would collapse otherwise. They don't really depend on the "infinite possible instances of the universe" but on the possibilities of a moment before it becomes something you could call an "instance". Adding to that most of their work hasn't really been peer reviewed - its not really clear if they're using quantum effects at all.

That said, I won't say that its 100% impossible that something is happening - maybe I am from a universe where I am called "Normen" and all these people I met know me from one where I am called "Norman" ;)

HepCat

05 Jan 2017

I distinctly remember it snowing on my birthday once (l was born in summer - l got my Xmas and Birthday memories mixed up). Still though, l think some of the examples of the Mandela Effect are genuinely weird like the Forrest Gump one which l've mentioned myself elsewhere, and the VW logo mentioned in the OP.

Anyway, l saw a video on YouTube, now taken down, which connects it to CERN (the massive particle accelerator in Geneva, Switzerland) and Twin Peaks (specifically "Fire Walk With Me" and the "Missing Pieces"). Basically, it goes that the Black Lodge are spirits who travel through an electrical continuum (= plasma in space and lightning in the atmosphere, and power cables on earth).

They reorder the universe, travelling through time, using electricity (as seen in the their meeting above the "convenience store"). They "descend through pure air" and manifest on this plane, all done using immense electrical energy and l think that's how they reorder time to feed off "pain and sorrow", aka Garmonbozia, which is also said to be the name of their home planet, a planet of abundant corn, which connects to the Wormwood / Nibiru mythos, and thence to Jack Parsons, the Crowleyan occultist founder of NASA's JPL aka Jack Parsons Laboratory aka Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

So anyway, apparently CERN is an example of massive amounts of electricity being used to warp time.

Whilst l don't believe that about CERN (l think it's an honest to god research tool, plus l don't think it's possible to alter time), it is uncannily canny, isn't it? The way it all gels together: electricity, demons, Nemesis / Wormwood / Nibiru as another planet or star companion to our sun, warping of time, and the Black Lodge / O. T. O. of Aleister Crowley. Eeeevil l tells ya, eeeeevil (shakes walking stick at TV).

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2017

What if most people only thought they used to think that because the image said so, and since they're not too sure about the details they just let it slide?

selig
RE Developer

05 Jan 2017

"Play it again, Sam" is another - but it's always been my belief that the reason we remember these is not because of the movie or the Mandela Effect, but because many folks actually said these things over and over through the years (and we've seen the movie only rarely). Same for all those movie quotes, IMO. And in many cases, folks doing the quoting never saw the movie in the first place, they're only repeating what they heard from others. Remember the "telephone game", where you pass a phrase from person to person and it comes out very different at the end of the line?

"Frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn" is another. But again, IMO it's that so many folks, from stand up comics to TV commercials, to family members, have all said it wrong so many times that it becomes "right".

They all "sound" right, too, so that doesn't help.

Same for "You dirty rat". And the list goes on…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

siln

06 Jan 2017

you may want to learn about the one who created/popularized the theory
also classified as confabulation in wikipedia
Attachments
fionabroome-johnhession.jpg
fionabroome-johnhession.jpg (31.74 KiB) Viewed 84613 times

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

07 Jan 2017

Well, that's another fine thread you've gotten me into!

(Oliver Hardy never said "Well, that's another fine mess you've gotten me into" in the movies. They did do a movie, quite early in their talkie period (1930), titled "Another Fine Mess". But Ollie's famous catchphrase? It's definitely "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!").

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2017

Another good one: it's not, "a small step for man, a giant step for mankind," it's actually, "A small step for a man, a giant leap for mankind."

Any grammar enthusiasts would have noticed the former makes no sense, since "a small step for man" is the same as "a small leap for mankind." Putting "a" before "man" changes it from mankind to an individual!

Edit: fyxed tipos.
Last edited by avasopht on 07 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

normen

07 Jan 2017

avasopht wrote:Another good one: it's not, "a small step for man, a giant step for mankind," it's actually, "A small step for a man, a giant step for mankind."

Any grammar enthusiasts would have noticed the former makes no sense, since "a small step for man" is the same as "a small step for mankind." Putting "a" before "man" changes it from mankind to an individual!
Actually its "giant leap for mankind". And for the first "a" is hard to make out if its there or not given his accent and the bad connection, you can hear both if you want to:

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2017

normen wrote:
avasopht wrote:Another good one: it's not, "a small step for man, a giant step for mankind," it's actually, "A small step for a man, a giant step for mankind."

Any grammar enthusiasts would have noticed the former makes no sense, since "a small step for man" is the same as "a small step for mankind." Putting "a" before "man" changes it from mankind to an individual!
Actually its "giant leap for mankind". And for the first "a" is hard to make out if its there or not given his accent and the bad connection, you can hear both if you want to:

Sorry typo, it should be, "a small step for a man, a giant leap for mankind." But yes, the first "a" was inaudible. Neil Armstrong insists he did say it but it was inaudible.

siln

07 Jan 2017

Creativemind wrote:I kind of have one of my own. In the 90's, I swear there was another movie virtually the same as MenaceIISociety and I don't mean Boyz'n'theHood but no-one seems to recall one. I swear there was another film very similar to it around the same time but google throws up nothing either.
Was it Blood In Blood Out ? Very good movie as i remember ..

It can be fun to play with memories, but all this article relate : "The name of the theory comes from many people feeling certain they could remember Nelson Mandela dying while he was still in prison back in the ’80s. "
When in fact it came from a few people of influence , fun fact is it was born in Dragon con (the largest multimedia popular culture convention) and then grows through Reddit and the Mama is Fiona Broome and you have to go to http://www.mandelaeffect.com her website as well as http://www.fionabroome.comand read about her bio and how the mandela effect became a meme , she is a good story teller I suppose.

From her own words :

"The Mandela Effect is quirky. It’s weird. It’s fun, if you step away from the topic and look at it intellectually. (I’m trying not to seem insensitive to those who feel traumatized by this subject. I’m also mindful of the anxieties of those convinced this is a conspiracy.)
This site has been based in, “Okay, what if alternate memories are mostly accurate? What if alternate realities exist, and we can interact with them? Then what…?”
As I see it, Mandela Effect is poised at a cool, kind-of-unsettling seesaw fulcrum, between sci-fi/fantasy and physics.
I’m not saying that anyone is making this up. Those who have those memories — including me — we’re relieved to find others with the exact same memories, or at least memories that match on too many points to be “coincidence.”
But, I’ll admit that anything we might deliberately do with what we’ve learned from our conversations… that takes us into speculative areas that aren’t as well-grounded as the memories we share. I want to make that distinction clear."

[/size]

Also I suppose all this involved through Reddit and other forums (since 2010 the time for it to become viral) some photoshop jokers
So raising question about our memories and parallel universe can be fun indeed , also memory are very subject to suggestions

I just realized lately that Red hot chilli peppers did say in their lyrics :

:lol:

Creativemind

07 Jan 2017

siln wrote: Was it Blood In Blood Out ? Very good movie as i remember ..
Doesn't ring any bells either mate. I actually think this (for me) is a mandella effect 'cause I don't actually think there is one, only Boys'n'theHood but my mind still kinda thinks there is. My mate next door had Boyz'n'the Hood and I remember it not being that 'cause he had that one. A couple of years ago I searched for a good hour on google trying to find it. I searched "Menace 2 Society films like", "Movie similar to Menace 2 Society" and terms similar, must have been a good half dozen searches on Google and You Tube. Even looking it up on You Tube and looking see if anything like it popped up in the thumb nails at the side, no. Menace 2 Society came out in 1993 so I even looked at all films in lists on Google from 92 / 93 / 94 and still nothing lol! I'm like a dog with a bone when I get going. It wasn't New Jack City either.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

07 Jan 2017

avasopht wrote:Another good one: it's not, "a small step for man, a giant step for mankind," it's actually, "A small step for a man, a giant leap for mankind."

Any grammar enthusiasts would have noticed the former makes no sense, since "a small step for man" is the same as "a small leap for mankind." Putting "a" before "man" changes it from mankind to an individual!

Edit: fyxed tipos.

That's not a Mandela. The quote is absolutely just "one small step for man". He does not say "a man", nor is it merely inaudible because of a sudden burst of static (indeed you can listen to clip, there's no gap between for and man where an a could go, with or without static). I recall Armstrong later admitted he just plain forgot to say it right. That's probably why there is such a long pause between the two lines, he stumbled as a realised his mistake!

Exowildebeest

07 Jan 2017

Buzzfeed reposting Noel... Really :cry:

normen

07 Jan 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:That's not a Mandela. The quote is absolutely just "one small step for man". He does not say "a man", nor is it merely inaudible because of a sudden burst of static (indeed you can listen to clip, there's no gap between for and man where an a could go, with or without static). I recall Armstrong later admitted he just plain forgot to say it right. That's probably why there is such a long pause between the two lines, he stumbled as a realised his mistake!
I'm not an english speaker but in contrast to german english speakers tend to bind words together and between the "r" and "m" I can very well imagine an "a" - i.e. "foruhman" or "for man". Just the switching from r to m makes a kind of "a/uh" sound.. (Imagine me saying "for man" "foruhman" all the time in front of the screen right now ^^ It sounds strikingly the same.) - Not trying to make a big deal from this or going against you though, you are probably right - also with that being the reason for the pause.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

07 Jan 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:Buzzfeed reposting Noel... Really :cry:
There are 100s if not 1000s of online resources I could have cited. Most regurgitate the same popular examples so it doesn't matter if I used a Buzzfeed or The New York Times article. It's a controversial phenomenon for sure.
ImageImageImage

• Information