Korg Microkey2 61 and PU-2 Pedal

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Carol Rein

15 Nov 2016

Hi guys!
I've connected my Korg Microkey2 61 to a triple pedal Korg PU-2, in order to control the damper, soft and sostenuto for pianos (or whatever three things you want), here are the steps:

First of all, I've connected a stereo female jack to the microkey, this way:

The output at the right is the added one.

Then I connected the incoming cables from the PU-2 to the pedal as seen in the image above.
I started trying the pedals one by one and they worked perfect, even sending analog signal!
But as soon as I tried to connect the three pedals at the same time, I faced a problem with the common wires, I mean the junction of the original jack's common and the stereo common. The Pitch bend dropped down to zero and I couldn't do anything to avoid it. That happened because the voltages of the common for both are not the same. That means the ground for both (the original input ground, and the wheel/pitchbend couple ground) are not really common. But... I had to make them common no matter what, as the PU-2 has only one common cable and forced me to solve this.
So I had to find a way to connect both jacks common to the PU-2 common avoiding them to relate among each other... the main idea was to avoid that relation using some semiconductor... I thought about a diode. But it didn't work.
Then I went further and tried with a transistor... and it worked!! :)
I used a B238C that I had in my "semiconductor" glass jar, so that one was the only thing that matched.

Second step: the Microkey programming
I had to reach three tasks:
1- An analog sustain signal from CC64 (for half pedaling in damper)
2- A boolean (on/off) signal from CC01 (for Una Corda or soft)
2- A second boolean signal (for sostenuto) but, as a bonus track, it is analog :) (due it comes from Pitch bend)
On microkey Korg Control I had to program:
a- The original assignable jack to CC01 because that one only sends boolean, and I couldn't use it for CC64, that means sustain (damper).
b- The Mod Wheel as CC64 to send ste sustain pedal in an analog way, and in a range from 63 to 127 in order to reduce as much as possible the range for the analog pedal (64 is the middle and is still on. 63 is off for boolean). This is for Reason. For Pianoteq you'd prefer to set the full range from 0 to 127 as in that software (as far as I know) you can't assign the range as you do in the Combinator.

You always have to keep the Mod Wheel down, and the pedal will create the signal for it.

Well, that's more or less what I did. The rest is Reason programming in the Combinator with NN-XT and other devices, so you can do whatever you want with these three pedals in Reason :)

15 Nov 2016

That's so cool. I hope you post it somewhere in addition to this forum for wider exposure!

Carol Rein

15 Nov 2016

6502 wrote:That's so cool. I hope you post it somewhere in addition to this forum for wider exposure!
How can I do? Should I create a blog for this purpose?
I´ll do the same with a Nektar Impact 88 very soon (as soon as I buy it) I'll add this pedal, and with that beds I'll create an upright piano with an absolutely normal, indistinguishable real look.
I've also disassembled a CPU power supply keeping only the board without coolers and without the metallic case, and I put it inside my Yamaha keyboard. now it works from 80 to 250 volt directly :) It works perfect since 10 years so far.
May be all these things could be together in a blog, starting by now with this Microkey work... what do you suggest?

Well, thanks for your nice comment :)

15 Nov 2016

Carol Rein wrote:
6502 wrote:That's so cool. I hope you post it somewhere in addition to this forum for wider exposure!
How can I do? Should I create a blog for this purpose?
I´ll do the same with a Nektar Impact 88 very soon (as soon as I buy it) I'll add this pedal, and with that beds I'll create an upright piano with an absolutely normal, indistinguishable real look.
I've also disassembled a CPU power supply keeping only the board without coolers and without the metallic case, and I put it inside my Yamaha keyboard. now it works from 80 to 250 volt directly :) It works perfect since 10 years so far.
May be all these things could be together in a blog, starting by now with this Microkey work... what do you suggest?

Well, thanks for your nice comment :)
I think if you have a few projects a blog would be cool. Another idea might be a youtube video channel. There's definitely a lot of people on the internet who are interested in these diy projects. :thumbs_up:

• Information