Midi Controllers and Chrome.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2016

This started for me a few weeks back (could have been going on for longer)...

I noticed when I started Reason my Nektar was not available to use (note: I do write mappings for the Nektar so I am use to breaking the connection between Reason and Nektar and bringing them back both on line again without restarts etc.)

So when it first happened a reboot sorted it, anyway I have tracked down the issue to Chrome, it is taking control of my midi controller, hence Reason can't see my controller, close chrome down (which can take quite a few seconds depending on what else it has open in the background), Reason then can see my controller.

I found a setting in Chrome to turn off taking control of the Midi controller that I thought I would share with you.

you can find under chrome://settings/content (you can just paste that bit into your chrome address bar to take you directly to the correct page)

or long way
Open a window in Google Chrome.
At the top-right, click More More and then Settings.
At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
Under "Privacy", click the Content settings button
Find, MIDI devices full control.

You have 3 options
1) Allow all sites to use system exclusive messages to access MIDI devices.
2) Ask me when a site wants to use system exclusive blah blah........... <this was the default I had set.
3) Do not allow any sites to use system exclusive blah blah.......... < This is the one I have now set it too

I have never been asked as far as I know for a site to use my Midi devices so I changed it to the 3rd option, so far so good Reason finds my controller all the time now :)

Regards.

freddykr

15 Oct 2016

Thanks for the tip Carly.
I have had this problem from time to time with my Nektar.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2016

freddykr wrote:Thanks for the tip Carly.
I have had this problem from time to time with my Nektar.
Let me know if it sorts your issue out too :thumbs_up:

freddykr

17 Oct 2016

I did start up my P4 with Chrome started and then Reason v.9, my P4 was not recognized by Reason :thumbs_down:
So I stopped Chrome and it is working.

I checked the MIDI settings in Chrome and it is set to "Do not allow any sites to use system exclusive messages to access MIDI devices".....

Anyways now I know the cause and can just stop Chrome when starting up up my P4 and Reason.

So that's all good !!

• Information