Sequencer view expand + The infamous wires

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
HepCat

11 Sep 2016

My gripe since Reason v. 1.5 l think?

Must be easier to expand the view in the Sequencer, e.g.:

Click and Drag:

Vertical magnification: click the top or bottom of a track lane, and drag it up or down. Yes l know you can do that now, but you can't do it all with infinite travel.

Horizontal magnification: Actually rather happy with Propellerheads' present way of doing this - by clicking and dragging the horizontal filmstrip type thing.

Click + or - , Repeatedly:

Vertical magnification: There is a + and - button stacked vertically, so you press one or the other to zoom in / out, with about 20 levels of magnification.

Horizontal magnification: Right there, adjacent to the vertical magnification + and - symbols, there is also a + and - button stacked horizontally, so you press one or the other to zoom in / out, with about 20 levels of magnification.

Mousehweel:

Vertical magnification: Click either the + or - vertical zoom button, then turn the mousewheel up for vertical zoom in, mousewheel down for vertical zoom out, with about 20 levels of magnification.

Horizontal magnification: Click either the + or - horizontal zoom button, then turn the mousewheel up for vertical zoom in, mousewheel down for horizontal zoom out, with about 20 levels of magnification.

I know Reason basically has this implemented by v. 6.5, but it's still a bit overdone, compared to my suggestion ^^^

Oh and also: The Wires!

Can we at least have the option to display the wires in reverse view, as mere lines? Just saying ;) And for those that nonetheless prefer thick cables, have simulated power outages (inc. data loss) :D

Loque

11 Sep 2016

On Windows 10 use windows key and + or - to zoom.
Reason12, Win10

HepCat

11 Sep 2016

Hi there thanks, l think what l meant was, just clean up the default buttons for zooming. So many zoom buttons, all over the place, arrrgh.

Also, regarding using lines instead of wires, perhaps also insert flex / warp points in the lines so that you can move them out of the way i.e. bend them, while they're being routed to their target.

AttenuationHz

12 Sep 2016

Loque wrote:On Windows 10 use windows key and + or - to zoom.
Ah didn't know about that shortcut can get real-estate back on task bar now.

Wish the vertical magnification went to double or triple the current distance. Its especially needed for audio on the sequencer.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

jonheal

12 Sep 2016

One thing I don't like about simply using Windows magnification is that Reason is not "aware" of the rescaling, so menu and other application text does not scale smoothly and looks yucky.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

AttenuationHz

13 Sep 2016

jonheal wrote:
One thing I don't like about simply using Windows magnification is that Reason is not "aware" of the rescaling, so menu and other application text does not scale smoothly and looks yucky.
Yeah it's bad alright, Useful when setting pitch on a loop or sample with the curve from a Matrix. Set it to what looks like straight and zoom in with magnification and it way off.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

AttenuationHz

15 Sep 2016

HepCat wrote:

Oh and also: The Wires!

Can we at least have the option to display the wires in reverse view, as mere lines? Just saying ;) And for those that nonetheless prefer thick cables, have simulated power outages (inc. data loss) :D
What's wrong with having them off by default if you don't like the look of them. You can just press K to hide them. Simulated power loss??? You must be kidding :lol: :lol: :lol: . If you want to sabotage your work you can just delete the file you have been working on for the last 16 hours.

HepCat

16 Sep 2016

I might still want to view the wires, but in a less obstructive way, hence the wording of the OP. Regarding the remainder of your reply, add fluff to the realism. Peace!

Cyclic79

16 Sep 2016

Yes some sequencer UI tweaks is welcome, more shortcut keys or custom shortcut keys. You can actually CTRL-mousewheel ( to zoom the track vertical size ), Shift-Mousewheel to scrool along the timeline, and Alt-Mousewheel to scroll the sequencer vertically, but when you use Alt-mousewheel window focus on the File menu and you have to click again in the sequencer to reactive it, a bit annoying. Oh yes there is Shift+Ctrl+Mousewheel that horizontal size zoom. But not Shift+Alt+Mousewheel. Could be simpler, like Ctrl+mouswheel to scroll horizontally, Ctrl+Shift to scroll vertically, Ctrl+Alt to zoom vertically or horizontally depending if you're using mousewheel or 3rd mouse button.

Cyclic79

16 Sep 2016

And yes, a better space use of the sequencer top lane ( where there is Start, and Position time ), replace both with a single parameter, like a button named "Position" with at the right a single entry box ( 1 . 1. 1. 1 ) if you want to mofify it click on "Position", 2 choices ( buttons ) appear and choose Start or Lenght to display the right value. And put some toolbox tools on this sequencer bar, like the transpose function, no need to have 3 user entry zones, just one, select with a ( or an show on click) radio button to select the parameter to change like a Transpose, Random... then adjust the value inside the entry zone.

HepCat

17 Sep 2016

Propellerheads, maybe copy Acid Pro's or Audacity's ancient interface? It has beautiful simple zoom, whereby you can *Really* enlarge a lane, vertically (although Reason actually has better horizontal zoom, with that filmstrip kinda thingy at the bottom of the screen).

I know there are shortcuts, but clutter is clutter, and for example in a live jamming situation, you don't want clutter.

And you can copy + paste + extend blocks during sequencer playback in Acid Pro. That is vital in a live jamming situation and l can't think why it aint permitted in Reason (at least Reason 6.5).

AttenuationHz

17 Sep 2016

HepCat wrote:I might still want to view the wires, but in a less obstructive way, hence the wording of the OP. Regarding the remainder of your reply, add fluff to the realism. Peace!
Fluff :? some would call it an unnecessary feature that would have no other function other than destroying hours put into making tracks. How many power outages do you experience in a year. There is probably more of a chance of an actual physical power outage in real life than a simulated power outage in software designed to make and record music.

Do you have these options in reason 6.5 I have not used it in so long I can not remember. The cables are not that thick first off and secondly that's why they are on the back of devices you route and forget, in some cases it auto routes for you. If your spending all your time making music at the back of a device how do you even get songs completed couple that with the worry and anxiousness of the chance of a simulated power outage and your asking for trouble.
PrefCables.gif
PrefCables.gif (1.11 MiB) Viewed 3290 times

HepCat

17 Sep 2016

Thanks. I think however you may be taking some parts of the OP and later posts too literally, and overlooking the details / benefits of the more serious parts :)

AttenuationHz

17 Sep 2016

HepCat wrote:Thanks. I think however you may be taking some parts of the OP and later posts too literally, and overlooking the details / benefits of the more serious parts :)
Your suggesting features you would like to see in later version of reason the only way I'm taking them is figuratively. There is no benefit to a simulated power outage, that already happens in real life and when it does you risk a loss on work you spent your time creating. I don't want be the bearer of bad news but that particular suggestion would just be a waste of time that would have zero advantage for Reason users.

You can already ctrl + -/+ and ctrl/ctrl+shift+scroll wheel to zoom in and out on the sequencer by the way. Its 128 levels of magnification for a reason its audio, if a loop is off by 1ms by the end of 30 bars of that 1 bar loop its off by 30ms. Press ctrl + -/+ 6 times or set a macro to do it if you're not happy with the current magnification to get you to the 20 levels you seek. I think its you who is overlooking the details and benefits of why the magnification is the way it is.

dandandaaan

16 Oct 2016

And for those that nonetheless prefer thick cables, have simulated power outages (inc. data loss) :D
:lol: I just spat out some coffee.
singer/songwriter with electronic tendencies

http://pointsmusic.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/points_music

Logic / Ableton Live / Reason Rack / Nord Stage 2 / Moog Grandmother / Eurorack / Guitars, drums, toys

• Information