How does Note CV work?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
dioxide

15 Aug 2016

Generally CV is either Bipolar or Unipolar, which means it is either between -1.0 and +1.0 or 0 and +1.0. But Note CV, such as the kind that is output from the Matrix, doesn't comply within a ±1 range. How does it work? At first I though that it was simply Bipolar CV but quantized to a 128 value scale but this isn't the case.

Olivier

15 Aug 2016

It is unipolar, 0 to 128. It's basically note numbers as with midi. Add 12 to note cv and you're going up 1 octave.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

dioxide

15 Aug 2016

eauhm wrote:It is unipolar, 0 to 128. It's basically note numbers as with midi. Add 12 to note cv and you're going up 1 octave.
If I take Thor's Note (Voice Key or MIDI Key) and run it to one of Thor's CV outputs I'm getting something that I can't match to the output of a Matrix. Is there a way to convert between the two? In theory it should be possible to chain a second Thor using the CV outputs of the first but I can't figure it out.

pongasoft
RE Developer

15 Aug 2016

eauhm wrote:It is unipolar, 0 to 128. It's basically note numbers as with midi. Add 12 to note cv and you're going up 1 octave.
Just to be accurate it is internally a unipolar value between 0.0 and 1.0 which is mapped to the range 0 - 128 and interpreted as a midi note. This is why you can wire cv output from anything that produces a unipolar 0.0 - 1.0 (most unipolar cv outputs do) to a Note cv input.

Yan

pongasoft
RE Developer

15 Aug 2016

dioxide wrote: If I take Thor's Note (Voice Key or MIDI Key) and run it to one of Thor's CV outputs I'm getting something that I can't match to the output of a Matrix. Is there a way to convert between the two? In theory it should be possible to chain a second Thor using the CV outputs of the first but I can't figure it out.
If you flip Thor (in Show Programmer mode) at the bottom there is a section called Step Sequencer CV Output. If you use Note and Gate CV output of this section and wire them to another device it works. But I have the same problem you describe if I try to use the Programming section on the front and do the mapping: "Seq.Note -> 100 -> CV Out 1" and use CV Out 1 as a Note then it does not work properly. Not sure why. So I would recommend using the "Step Sequencer CV Output" section to chain one thor to the next if you use the step sequencer.

Yan

dioxide

15 Aug 2016

I cracked it. I'm not sure of a simple formula for this as my head is still spinning from trying to get it to work. This requires the Quadelectra Parametrix though. There is probably another way to do it but I haven't found it yet.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... arametrix/

This uses the Last Note (or Key Note) and Key Gate (or Last Gate) Modulation Bus sources to chain another instance of Thor, or any other instrument.
Attachments
One Thor plays another.zip
R8 File, requires Quadelectra Parametrix
(66.58 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

kloeckno

15 Aug 2016

pongasoft wrote:...But I have the same problem you describe if I try to use the Programming section on the front and do the mapping: "Seq.Note -> 100 -> CV Out 1" and use CV Out 1 as a Note then it does not work properly. Not sure why...
I can't say for sure since I've never heard a PH dev confirm it, but I'm quite sure Thor's note output is bipolar so that you can modulate it's own internal oscillators with it. It works correctly within Thor if my memory is correct. I'll have to check to be sure. But I have converted that Note CV into unipolar, it just takes a DC offset and some very precise scaling with several mod matrix lines to fine tune the scaling amount. Neptune does a similar thing and it is quite annoying, but workable especially if you have some CV monitoring REs.

ljekio

16 Aug 2016

dioxide wrote:I cracked it. I'm not sure of a simple formula for this as my head is still spinning from trying to get it to work. This requires the Quadelectra Parametrix though. There is probably another way to do it but I haven't found it yet.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... arametrix/

This uses the Last Note (or Key Note) and Key Gate (or Last Gate) Modulation Bus sources to chain another instance of Thor, or any other instrument.
But zero problem is there.
If you convert bipolar signal from Thor into unipolar, you'll receive unwanted middle note when note off (0 with bipolar).

• Information