Zoom H4n Pro

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

02 Jun 2016

https://zoom-na.com/products/field-vide ... y-recorder

Improved preamps (found on H5 and H6) and X/Y mics that can record up to 140 dB SPL. It also adds locking XLR connections and a new rubberized casing.

I'm very happy with my H5 after upgrading from my H4n a couple years ago. And I would still probably recommend the H5 to most of my friends for it's interchangeable mic capsule system and immediate on-board controls. But the H4n Pro might be of interest to folks who don't have a need for those things and who want the MTR mode and built-in effects. It is $50 less than the H5.

joeyluck

02 Jun 2016

Also, this just happened and I thought it was hilarious.
Whats a Tascam.jpg
Whats a Tascam.jpg (37.91 KiB) Viewed 8242 times

Sinistereo

02 Jun 2016

Thanks for the heads up - looks like a significant upgrade. They've been on a roll lately! Love my Zoom H6 and H1. Really great products.

joeyluck

02 Jun 2016

Sinistereo wrote:Thanks for the heads up - looks like a significant upgrade. They've been on a roll lately! Love my Zoom H6 and H1. Really great products.
They really are. I think they've won the NAMM TEC award for just about every recorder they release. And they have won consecutively the past few years with the H6 and then the H5 and last year with the F8. I'm a big fan :D

Olivier

02 Jun 2016

joeyluck wrote:
Sinistereo wrote:Thanks for the heads up - looks like a significant upgrade. They've been on a roll lately! Love my Zoom H6 and H1. Really great products.
They really are. I think they've won the NAMM TEC award for just about every recorder they release. And they have won consecutively the past few years with the H6 and then the H5 and last year with the F8. I'm a big fan :D
I'm a fan too. I have an H5. Great device. The default capsule works quite well. About to order a set of binaural mics for it to do some outdoor recordings.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

stratatonic

02 Jun 2016

Wasn't the original H4n already "pro"? I thought it sounded pretty damn good...

OverneathTheSkyBridg

02 Jun 2016

How does the cheapo H1 stack up to these more expensive models?

joeyluck

02 Jun 2016

stratatonic wrote:Wasn't the original H4n already "pro"? I thought it sounded pretty damn good...
The preamps were updated to the ones found on the H5 and H6. So, they are in fact quieter. But yes, it has been used on many pro sets from my experience. Great recorders. This one just got a little better. If you are in the market for one, I still recommend the H5 over the H4n Pro. Unless 4-track recording and built-in effects is something of more interest. The H5 can do overdubs, it's just not as straight forward as the H4n's MTR mode.

joeyluck

02 Jun 2016

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:How does the cheapo H1 stack up to these more expensive models?
The H1 is fantastic. But the H4n Pro, H5, H6 add many more features. The H1 is limited to just the on-board, fixed position X/Y mics.

Noplan
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2016

I have the old Zoom H2 and it does a good job on my acoustic guitar. I don't know if the new ones are better but I still use it in my mic collection. It does not blow my mind but i like in some situations.

Sinistereo

02 Jun 2016

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:How does the cheapo H1 stack up to these more expensive models?
Features simply don't compare, but for its size, the H1 has impressive dynamic range, stereo separation and SNR. It's really easy to use and very pocketable. I use it to record live events (for fun) and conferences and lectures (for work).

I've also used Sony and Tascam budget portable recorders. The Zoom H1 is so much better. Sexy as a Sony and gives better results.

yeahright31

02 Jun 2016

Got the Zoom H2N and love it, also recently bought the Zoom TAC-8 to set up all my hardware.
When I purchased the Zoom H2N I wish at the time I had enough to dosh to buy the Zoom Q4 Handy Video Recorder as well.
But oh well this will be a future purchase as I continue to really enjoy my Zoom products.

joeyluck

03 Jun 2016

yeahright31 wrote:Got the Zoom H2N and love it, also recently bought the Zoom TAC-8 to set up all my hardware.
When I purchased the Zoom H2N I wish at the time I had enough to dosh to buy the Zoom Q4 Handy Video Recorder as well.
But oh well this will be a future purchase as I continue to really enjoy my Zoom products.
I heard the H2n just got a cool new firmware update that adds a spatial audio recording mode for VR videos and support for Google Jump.
I don't own the H2n and not sure how this is different than it's normal operation, but it's peaked my interest and I'm wanting to learn more about it. Have you updated? Know anything more about that?

I've had my eye on their cameras as well. Since I own several capsules for the H5, I'd like to get something like the Q8 so I can use those capsules with it. But I'd like something that's not a wide-angle lens. It can be so disorienting. Great for GoPro sports type stuff and rigging up your drum kit or guitar neck for cool shots, but I'm not a fan of that look for regular shots; the stuff I would like to shoot. Many people have suggested something with a standard lens, so we'll see what happens...

decibel

03 Jun 2016

the H6 with full accessory kit (includes shogun microphone & other extras) is on sale locally for $462, its such a tease as i have wanted a field recorder for as long as i can remember now, might see what i have laying around to sell ? lol
Last edited by decibel on 03 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

yeahright31

03 Jun 2016

joeyluck wrote:
yeahright31 wrote:Got the Zoom H2N and love it, also recently bought the Zoom TAC-8 to set up all my hardware.
I heard the H2n just got a cool new firmware update that adds a spatial audio recording mode for VR videos and support for Google Jump.
I don't own the H2n and not sure how this is different than it's normal operation, but it's peaked my interest and I'm wanting to learn more about it. Have you updated? Know anything more about that?

I've had my eye on their cameras as well. Since I own several capsules for the H5, I'd like to get something like the Q8 so I can use those capsules with it. But I'd like something that's not a wide-angle lens. It can be so disorienting. Great for GoPro sports type stuff and rigging up your drum kit or guitar neck for cool shots, but I'm not a fan of that look for regular shots; the stuff I would like to shoot. Many people have suggested something with a standard lens, so we'll see what happens...

I didn't know about the cool new firmware update that adds a spatial audio recording mode for VR videos and support for Google Jump.
I'll have to check this out as I don't even know what a VR video is.
As for Google Jump, well someone would almost like to shoot me for admitting I use safari, it's just google chrome always stuffs up on my mac and I've got the shits and removed Chrome. Haha!

yeahright31

03 Jun 2016

Thanks Joeyluck, you've taught me about some cool VR stuffs, looks like the update of the ZOOM Handy H2N Update will be cool.
Now to buy some cardboard VR Glasses.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

03 Jun 2016

Sinistereo wrote:
Features simply don't compare, but for its size, the H1 has impressive dynamic range, stereo separation and SNR. It's really easy to use and very pocketable. I use it to record live events (for fun) and conferences and lectures (for work).

I've also used Sony and Tascam budget portable recorders. The Zoom H1 is so much better. Sexy as a Sony and gives better results.
I had a Tascam DP008 before as my portable budget field recorder and it did an ok job with it's on board mics, but it was awkward to carry around and everytime you handle it you could hear it through the mics. The H1 seems like a more compact alternative and I'll definitely get the accessory pack with the little mic stand and tripod with it.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

03 Jun 2016

joeyluck wrote:
The H1 is fantastic. But the H4n Pro, H5, H6 add many more features. The H1 is limited to just the on-board, fixed position X/Y mics.
That shouldn't be too much of a problem, I'd mainly use it for field recording and sound effects work. Thanks!

stratatonic

03 Jun 2016

joeyluck wrote:
stratatonic wrote:Wasn't the original H4n already "pro"? I thought it sounded pretty damn good...
The preamps were updated to the ones found on the H5 and H6. So, they are in fact quieter. But yes, it has been used on many pro sets from my experience. Great recorders. This one just got a little better. If you are in the market for one, I still recommend the H5 over the H4n Pro. Unless 4-track recording and built-in effects is something of more interest. The H5 can do overdubs, it's just not as straight forward as the H4n's MTR mode.
Interesting that they are "reverting" back to an earlier model...Maybe a lot of photo/videographers are still using the H4n?...The updates here do look pretty impressive. I'll stick with my amateur H4n though until it breaks...:)

joeyluck

03 Jun 2016

stratatonic wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
Interesting that they are "reverting" back to an earlier model...Maybe a lot of photo/videographers are still using the H4n?...The updates here do look pretty impressive. I'll stick with my amateur H4n though until it breaks...:)
Yeah there still seems to be a market for it. Some folks would rather save $50 to not have things like the interchangeable mic capsule system. And the H4n is such a popular model name.

Speaking of breaking, that's a plus I see with the H5; the user can replace the mics if needed without replacing the entire unit.

O1B

03 Jun 2016

Im In the market for an updated H2n - for simultaneous XY - MS recordings - like the H2n. H6 can't.

Anybody use the Roland? R-26.Image

txh003

03 Jun 2016

The Zoom H4n Pro looks like a solid product, and it is good to see continued development in the handheld recorder market.

I am still using Zoom H2n, with the accessory pack, for R&B/Soul, Jazz and Gospel band and choir rehearsals, in addition to songwriting sessions.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

joeyluck

03 Jun 2016

O1B wrote:Im In the market for an updated H2n - for simultaneous XY - MS recordings - like the H2n. H6 can't.
Yeah the H2n is unique. And very cool it is getting attention with Google Jump and the VR world.

With other recorders you can use separate mics via XLR inputs to get X/Y in addition to a mid-side capsule or vise versa. Audio Technica has some nice X/Y mics which are handy (within one unit). Still not as handy, but less juggling than several more mics.

Yonatan

03 Jun 2016

I use a H6 for picking up samples (ambient, Impulse responses etc) or recording when away from home. And also as a second audio interface sometimes on an older laptop. Those machines are very versatile.

Zoom also makes combi with camera/recorder, but the camera dont seem very useful. If they levelled up with same quality on the camera as with their audio, that would be a beast for independent videomakers.

Exowildebeest

03 Jun 2016

I have a Zoom H4N. It records sound very well... But the GUI/screen, controls and weight make me feel like I'm using a device from 1985. The fact that these are currently highly rated and very popular recording devices might say something about the lack of innovation and competition in this particular branch of the music tech industry :(

• Information