Can't figure out how to merge 2 Single Take audio tracks - comp mode?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
nater9

30 May 2016

I recorded a guitar track, and wanted to redo a section, so I clicked the "Dub" button, which created a new track called Guitar Dub. Now, I have my two tracks of audio, and I simply want to combine the two tracks into one seamless track. Why is this so difficult? I can't get both tracks to show up in comp mode so I can splice/crossfade the two tracks. I must be missing a simple but BIG step to accomplish this. I've read the manual and tutorial videos, but they all assume you recorded the "takes" on top of each other, within the same track. Well, I didn't... I used the "dub" feature. Does this mean I cannot make a seamless single track by combing the two tracks into one lane?

Maybe comp mode is not what I need, but that seems to be the preferred method for combining audio tracks into one "perfect take"!!

Am I missing something? Sorry if I sound frustrated... I am.

rcbuse
RE Developer

30 May 2016

You are going to want to drag all those clips on top of each other in one single lane. Then Highlight all of them, right click, 'Join Clips'. Now when you edit the new joined clip, all your takes will be there for comping.

nater9

30 May 2016

Okay, thanks! I think I tried that and it tells me "warning, the audio will be changed, or lost" or something to that effect, so I've been hesitant to try it. I'll give it a try though....

nater9

31 May 2016

rcbuse wrote:You are going to want to drag all those clips on top of each other in one single lane. Then Highlight all of them, right click, 'Join Clips'. Now when you edit the new joined clip, all your takes will be there for comping.
Yep, this works. Thanks again for your help!

davrosdalek

04 Dec 2018

Boy am I glad I found this...

A whole day of head-scratching on a slightly different problem with Reason's **** <insert word of choice> comp editing environment, and finally found this thread which gave me the conceptual light bulb moment with the phrase

"...drag all those clips on top of each other in one single lane. Then Highlight all of them, right click, 'Join Clips'."

My problem - if its of help to someone else - was similar to the one listed here, but not the same. What I'd done is tracked a single guitar in sections using comp mode - but not in one big comp. That is, I didnt run N takes of the whole piece from start to end with loop cycle engaged - which I know now has caused this all this hassle. What I did was to run (say) 4 takes of 'Intro' till I got enough down to be happy, so now I've got 4 stacked/comp takes from say bar 5 to bar 9. Then I let Reason run again from bar 15 (just a random choice - after bar 9, and importantly leaving a *gap* between the last comp set for the intro). And then I tracked a few passed of verse1 to have another comp set of that part. Same again for the different sections of the piece.

I've always done this in Cubase and then worked on the individual 'parts' to get (say) the perfect intro comp, then repeated to get the best verse comp -and then (obviously) joined the two together with a crossfade. In Cubase this is a 10 sec job as you just line up the bounced intro comp next to the bounced verse comp, do the usual jig around and x-fade. Works the same in Cubase for Group or MultiTrack/Folder audio. Nice. Could I do the same in Reason? Apparently not.

I watched my day evaporate trying to do this - and the solution to it is to do the same as suggested here. What I had to do was get my 'subsection' comp done with the usual kooky Reason x-fade handles/razor etc. Then bounce that *section* out using 'Bounce In Place' which creates a new track for just that section. Repeat for the *next* section. Now I've got two tracks. Repeat for the whole piece. Now - ridiculously - I've got 9 tracks each with a section of the piece on in bounced form. Can I 'Select All' and context click 'Join Clips' yet? Nope. I had to drag 8 of the clips onto the same *track* as the 1st clip for the intro and *then* -finally- I could r-click 'Join Clips'. That gave me a new clip that I could then re-comp in the comp editor to put the fades in between the different sections. And then finally bounce again.... buuuuuuuuuh.

I hope that helps someone avoid the day I've had, and if there's an easier way of doing this I'd definitely love to hear it.

A massive thank you from me to the posters on this thread,

Cheers
David

scratchnsnifff

05 Dec 2018

Back in the Reason/record days frank (the funny dude who does the prop videos and my idol)

Made a video on this look on YouTube for Reason record comp edit mode or Reason record comp

You’ll find a video that’s part of the propellerhead micro series
This should be exactly what you are referring to :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

• Information