Reason 9: Scalable Rack? I don't think so :(

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Funkspace

19 May 2016

I really don't want to complain. I really don't. I love Reason. But seriously... Is the rack Still going to retain the restricted pixel sizing from an era when we used 800 and 1024 pixel width displays? The devices are getting so small on higher resolution displays that it's not as enjoyable to twiddle knobs that you can hardly see in some cases. I really would have thought that providing at least a 1.5 or 2x magnification sizing for the rack window would have been a half-way house to addressing the ever shrinking devices. Even at the cost of sharpness until the Re protocol has been updated to cater to some form of scalable rack sizing.
I really think it's time has been overdue for a while.

After seeing the announcement for Reason 9, I have to admit I'm starting to think it must just be me who finds rack devices to be too small.

I know I can lower the resolution of my display, but that's at the cost of all other elements of Reason taking a hit.

My appologies for the rant, but I needed to join this forum just to gauge if it is just myself who feels this way.

buddard
RE Developer

19 May 2016

FYI it's not a limitation in the RE standard, all REs are already "HD-ready" out of the box. It could be the stock devices that are holding things up, for example they could be waiting for the Line 6 devices to be phased out? Or they wanted to complete the other new features first? We'll have to wait and see.

selig
RE Developer

19 May 2016

The rack is just over 7 inches wide on my retina mac, and feels pretty much as it did back in 2003 when I first started using Reason - maybe what you're seeing is something more evident on a Windows machine?
Selig Audio, LLC

The_G

19 May 2016

Not an issue on my Mac either.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

joeyluck

19 May 2016

Not necessarily an issue here, but would be nice to scale :) I'd enjoy seeing some synths 'full screen-ish'
I use OS X zoom function. Doesn't look the greatest, but works for many things.

However, recently I tried to zoom to read the back of the DVC-1
Of course, that didn't help. Looks like lots of useful info back there...

Exowildebeest

19 May 2016

They'll have to make the step up to a higher resolution once QHD/4K displays become more common. I'd give them 1 to 2 more years.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

19 May 2016

I have a second monitor set at 1024 X 768 for both the mixer and rack windows to compensate for this. Looks like I'll be continuing on in this way for another release.

Funkspace

19 May 2016

selig wrote:The rack is just over 7 inches wide on my retina mac, and feels pretty much as it did back in 2003 when I first started using Reason - maybe what you're seeing is something more evident on a Windows machine?
Thanks for measuring, Selig. My rack is exactly 6.5 inches wide on my MacBook Pro retina (not including wood paneling). I do find most devices hard to work with at this size.

I do appreciate hearing everybody's views :puf_smile:

Thanks also to Robotic Bean for your insight on the fact that higher resolution bitmaps are already baked into the Re format. I'd certainly love to see it taken advantage of.

selig
RE Developer

19 May 2016

Funkspace wrote:
selig wrote:The rack is just over 7 inches wide on my retina mac, and feels pretty much as it did back in 2003 when I first started using Reason - maybe what you're seeing is something more evident on a Windows machine?
Thanks for measuring, Selig. My rack is exactly 6.5 inches wide on my MacBook Pro retina (not including wood paneling). I do find most devices hard to work with at this size.

I do appreciate hearing everybody's views :puf_smile:

Thanks also to Robotic Bean for your insight on the fact that higher resolution bitmaps are already baked into the Re format. I'd certainly love to see it taken advantage of.
This has been the case from the beginning of REs, mostly for future proofing rather than any specific planned future feature as I've understood it.

I'm curious what the actual rack size was back in the CRT days - anyone have a time machine and a tape measure I can borrow?
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

19 May 2016

There's definitely a Mac vs. PC component to it, but it's more complicated than just Reason or resolution. I just went to PC from a 27 inch iMac, and there's an adjustment that has to take place, especially if you're using the zoom function joey mentioned on a Mac (which I did all the time). There's no easy equivalent on Windows, as far as I'm aware. It was a flick of a finger with a key press on Mac, and it was very intuitive, and quick. Zoom in, make your change, zoom back out, bingo-bango-bongo. I'm lucky enough to have a second monitor to use with my PC, so I keep the rack there, and the sequencer and mixer both on my main monitor. The monitor for the rack looks a bit larger because I've got a lower resolution, which helps.

There may be a third-party zoom you can find for Windows (I'd still like to get my hands on one, but haven't looked yet). That's the most intuitive solution, I think.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

ReasonUser

19 May 2016

Windows 7 has a built in magnifier tool. I use it all the time.

joeyluck

19 May 2016

ReasonUser wrote:Windows 7 has a built in magnifier tool. I use it all the time.
Can you read the back of the DVC-1 with that? Mac OS also has a zoom feature, but it doesn't help with that.

Zerosity

19 May 2016

ReasonUser wrote:Windows 7 has a built in magnifier tool. I use it all the time.
Window Key + "+" will launch the magnifier tool by default for quick access too.

But I do agree with the original poster, it's time for Propellerheads to switch to vector graphics for easy scaling to any resolution.

selig
RE Developer

19 May 2016

Zerosity wrote:
Window Key + "+" will launch the magnifier tool by default for quick access too.

But I do agree with the original poster, it's time for Propellerheads to switch to vector graphics for easy scaling to any resolution.
All REs would "break" if they did that! There ARE other ways around this issue…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Zerosity

19 May 2016

selig wrote:
Zerosity wrote:

No doubt the RE devs would need to provide updated assets, but it really would be the best future proof way to move into a scalable rack and retain clarity. But I'm hoping your smile is a hint hint.

guitfnky

19 May 2016

Zerosity wrote:

Yeah, that's the "less than great" Windows functionality I was talking about. It works, but it's not nearly as user friendly, flexible, or intuitive as the Mac zoom, in my view. I wouldn't ever use the Windows zoom, personally.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Arrant
Competition Winner

19 May 2016

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:I have a second monitor set at 1024 X 768 for both the mixer and rack windows to compensate for this. Looks like I'll be continuing on in this way for another release.
Same here, though I only use it for the rack. Still some devices look quite small. Rack scaling is long overdue to be honest, especially since we know that RE devices support it.

supalurker

19 May 2016

I was really hoping they would fix scaling for Windows on this release. Reason 7 is fine at 1080p, but looks like shit on a Surface Pro 4 (2736x1824).

Do you guys think this is something they maybe able to implement before release if we are vocal about it? I do like how there is a dark theme now.

craven

20 May 2016

supalurker wrote:I was really hoping they would fix scaling for Windows on this release. Reason 7 is fine at 1080p, but looks like shit on a Surface Pro 4 (2736x1824).

Do you guys think this is something they maybe able to implement before release if we are vocal about it? I do like how there is a dark theme now.
unfortunately, Propellerheads won't include new features other than the ones stated with Reason 9. They said so themselves on the beta test pages. However, a lot of us ask for scaling on a regular basis. It has to come eventually. I actually expected it for Reason 8 already, I guess we have to wait quite a bit longer :(
:ugeek:

Noplan
Competition Winner

20 May 2016

joeyluck wrote:Not necessarily an issue here, but would be nice to scale :) I'd enjoy seeing some synths 'full screen-ish'
I use OS X zoom function. Doesn't look the greatest, but works for many things.

However, recently I tried to zoom to read the back of the DVC-1
Of course, that didn't help. Looks like lots of useful info back there...

dana

20 May 2016

Just use the zoom when you need to see what the dials say :)

Redster

20 May 2016

Windows 10 has a screen scaling slider under graphics properties. It works perfectly with reason. I use it on the surface pro 4 all the time to zoom into the rack and twiddle the knobs with my finger. Erm....

I can also zoom all the way out and get loads of screen real estate although then things become very very small indeed....

Just right click on the desktop select graphics properties and there it is. Leave the window open and zoom in and out to your hearts content by flicking between the windows. It resizes all the touch sensitive zones with it.

Orbit-50

20 May 2016

The rack should be re-scalable. It's time already. I don't mind workarounds in most cases, but not for this.
Dude, all your software are belong to me!

selig
RE Developer

20 May 2016

Zerosity wrote:
selig wrote:
Zerosity wrote:

No doubt the RE devs would need to provide updated assets, but it really would be the best future proof way to move into a scalable rack and retain clarity. But I'm hoping your smile is a hint hint.
Don't know if it's the best, but it's certainly not the ONLY way to future proof REs with regards to resolution. But one thing for sure is that all the nice textures etc. would be lost, and so many REs would have to re-design the overall look of their REs (not something that will make some folks very happy). :(
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information