IO card/box to record singing in reason while listening to reason

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
fredphoesh

07 Feb 2016

Hi
I have a Mackie 1402 mixer which is connected to a Lexicon Alpha usb box which I use for my video editing work. It is fine just to monitor and record some VO's, but I want to record voice to Reason WHILE monitoring the other tracks on the sequence.

I managed with the Lexicon box at one point, but now the Audio track in Reason says there are no input devices... So I want to stop pulling out my hair, and get something not too expensive that works.

I have a PC with PCIe. A bit of latency is not a big problem so if USB is cheaper, I am happy with that, but I don't want to deal with something flakey like this Lexicon box.

Any suggestions what I could buy or what my workflow should be?

Thanks!
Mark.

marcuswitt

07 Feb 2016

Hi Mark,

my suggestion is MOTU's UltraLite AVB audio interface, which gives you plenty of signal routing and monitoring options since it comes with an internal 48-channel mixer, whereof each channel has its own EQ, Noise Gate, Compressor and Aux Sends. I think if you'll be running the MOTU in conjunction with your Mackie 1402 then you've got all you need, and even more than that. If that solution cracks your budget then look at Focusrite's Scarlett 6i6, which is much more affordable than MOTU's device, although it doesn't offer the same flexibility.

Anyway, just use the Scarlet together with the Mackie's Aux Sends or its so called ALT 3-4 outputs as well as its Stereo Inputs (e.g. Line-In 13-14) and you're in audio engineer's heaven. :)

Hope that helps a little bit. If not then don't hesitate to ask for more details. :)

fredphoesh

07 Feb 2016

Hi Marcus

Thanks for the response, I will definitely look into that one, though it may be over the budget, video is my profession, music is a hobby for me.

I may need help with patching, depending on what I get... I managed to blast my ears with headphone full of feedback on numerous occasions... to be avoided ;)

Cheers,
Mark.

• Information