MOTU Express XT or 128 with Reason 8

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Rlaud

23 Nov 2015

Hi, new member here, but long time Reason user. I've recently acquired some hardware synths. I would like to link them up with Reason via a MIDI interface such as the 2 listed above. I've tried an iConnectMidi4+, but, I have a Roland A-49 keyboard controller, a Roland Gaia and a new JP-08. Unfortunately, iConnectivity says that their interfaces aren't compatible with Roland gear because of Roland's use of proprietary drivers, not USB compliant drivers :o . I am also not interested in the M-Audio interfaces because they haven't yet, to my knowledge, come out with Windows 8 drivers (why not? :cry: ). So, that pretty much leaves MOTU. Unless another manufacturer has come out with something I don't know about that costs under $500 U.S.

Have any of you had any experience lately (since the new driver came out) with either the Express XT or Express 128? What issues have you had; will they interface with Reason 8 (reasonably) well, with little to no issues? My main goal is to have Reason send MIDI Beat Clock to each device so they are all playing in time with each other and with Reason 8. Thanks for any help on this.

bitley

24 Nov 2015

Hi there,

You can use several midi interfaces at the same time & all you need to do is to install the USB drivers if you are using USB interfaces too. As for synchronization that also depends on your audio card performance as that's where the latency usually comes in.

marcuswitt

24 Nov 2015

Rlaud wrote:Hi, new member here, but long time Reason user. I've recently acquired some hardware synths. I would like to link them up with Reason via a MIDI interface such as the 2 listed above. I've tried an iConnectMidi4+, but, I have a Roland A-49 keyboard controller, a Roland Gaia and a new JP-08. Unfortunately, iConnectivity says that their interfaces aren't compatible with Roland gear because of Roland's use of proprietary drivers, not USB compliant drivers :o . I am also not interested in the M-Audio interfaces because they haven't yet, to my knowledge, come out with Windows 8 drivers (why not? :cry: ). So, that pretty much leaves MOTU. Unless another manufacturer has come out with something I don't know about that costs under $500 U.S.

Have any of you had any experience lately (since the new driver came out) with either the Express XT or Express 128? What issues have you had; will they interface with Reason 8 (reasonably) well, with little to no issues? My main goal is to have Reason send MIDI Beat Clock to each device so they are all playing in time with each other and with Reason 8. Thanks for any help on this.

Hi there,

I'm using MOTU hard- and software on a Mac, running OSX 10.11.1 (El Capitan). An important part of my studio is the MIDI Express XT that you've mentioned. As far as I can say, everything works flawlessly with the latest Beta driver, including sending MIDI Beat Clock to each of the XT's outputs. Fortunatelly, the XT's Clockworks software allows you a vast variety of MIDI signal routings, mappings and sync configurations. So, go for it - you won't be disappointed with that piece of equipment. :puf_smile:

bpmorton

26 Nov 2015

Im using the MOTU Express 128. works great and MOTU has been doing these interfaces since the 80's or 90's. I have all my keyboards plugged into it in and out so I can send and receive note data and sysex. The 128 shows up in the little window in the EMI and you can choose what port you want to control. I set up some combinators with an EMI in them set to the proper port and am thinking of making custom graphics for the comb so they look like the keyboard I'm controlling.
New Emu.jpg
New Emu.jpg (204.03 KiB) Viewed 1430 times

Rlaud

12 Dec 2015

Cool, thank you all for the info. Since the 128 works well in Reason, I don't think I need to spend the money for the extra feature in the XT. However routing MIDI without turning on my computer is enticing.

• Information