Audio interfaces for Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Thousand Ways

20 Nov 2015

I'd be grateful if anyone could advise me on audio interfaces that work with Reason (I currently use version 8.2). I need something that will connect a MIDI keyboard (an old Roland PC-300, assuming that that can still be made compatible with Reason via an interface; it's no longer supported via direct USB), as well as something that will enable live vocals and other instruments to be recorded.

– Which interfaces work particularly well with Reason?

– Are there any that accommodate both a) recording of instruments/vocals into Reason, and b) live playing/recording of the Reason mixer?

– Where does Propellerhead's Balance interface fit in? Is this discontinued? From the look of the console, it wouldn't have allowed for 'live' playing of the mixing desk anyway.

If there is already a thread discussing this, or comparing interfaces, then apologies for reopening an old topic. I couldn't find such a thread, and am unsure which term most people use: 'audio interface', 'control surface' or something else.

Last Alternative

20 Nov 2015

They all work with every DAW. I've tried a range of different ones and besides internal sound quality they all behave the same with Reason.
I highly recommend going with Focusrite. They are the best in my opinion.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Thousand Ways

20 Nov 2015

Thanks – hadn't heard of Focusrite. Their interfaces —
http://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces
– don't seem to include any that have mixing desk faders. I was thinking along the lines of something like –
http://tascam.com/product/fw-1884/
– but that one's discontinued.

Anyone know of any interfaces that have faders and work particularly well?

jappe

20 Nov 2015

I'm using a Roland Quad Capture on my Windows 8 machine. Works fine for me, stable driver. It has Midi in &Out (which I don't use).
There is one flaw though: The headphone output shares volume now with monitor out, and they forgot to make a mute button for the monitor out.

stfual

20 Nov 2015

I'm a big plus 1 for Focusrite. I've used Native Instruments ATK 1, M Audio Ultra and Tascam US2x2

My first interface was a digi 002 with Protools . Great sounding with motorised faders but it took up a lot of space and i never really used the faders doing everything on screen. It also would crash the OS often so I got a Native Instruments ATK1 for general use.
The ATK 1 was excellent low latency and had great preamps. Essentially though now its obsolete. I would still be using it if the driver support was there.
I bought the M Audio Ultra because I went back to using Protools for a while and the ATK didnt work with Protools. I figured the MAudio would just work because it was transferred to Avid (and stayed) as part of the MAudio sale. But Avid driver support is abysmal - they have a whole load of acquired products they provide bare minimum support for - it essentially stopped working at Windows 8 , there was no 64 bit driver support for a while and while they may have fixed it now life is too short to wait for driver updates for the worlds most used operating system. It was also always a struggle to get the right levels on it with the usable level range for guitars being about 1 degree of rotation between silent and clipping.
I bought the Tascam US2X2 over the Focusrite because it was newer and looked cool well rated and i figured the drivers would be around for a while but it had horrible latency problems and they dont seem to be interested in doing anything about it. After investigating and testing for a while and being ignored by Tascam support I went out in frustration and bought a Focusrite 214 which just worked out of the box, has usable latency and nice preamps. Never had a click or crackle from it.

EnochLight

20 Nov 2015

Thousand Ways wrote: – Where does Propellerhead's Balance interface fit in? Is this discontinued? From the look of the console, it wouldn't have allowed for 'live' playing of the mixing desk anyway..
Balance was discontinued some time ago. Props abandoned making hardware, which is just as well since we'd rather they concentrate on getting Reason updated and maturing the Rack Extension SDK.. ;)

As for your question, I've been eyeing stuff from Focusrite for some time now. Nice kit!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

gak

21 Nov 2015

I should just find an old thread and copy paste, but here we go again.

Used a focusrite saffire 14 for years. Very stable drivers, didn't miss a beat.

Had a problem with kuassa creme, decided to hook up my old profire 610. Didn't help the kuassa issue, but HOLY FARK OF NODDINGSHNIRE it sound SO MUCH BETTER (using caps because you must understand it was substantial)

Said "f it" and started using that just to start having driver issues.

Bummed, dismayed, I ordered a Babyface pro from RME. Sounds fantastic, super great drivers, better latency than FW, and as a bonus...I can now move my scroll w/o crackling on higher load projects.

It's a huge bump in cash, but the focusrite really did sound that much worse.

Thousand Ways

21 Nov 2015

Thanks for replies, all. Lots of options to check on, and I hadn't considered latency problems, so will consider myself warned. Wonder whether the Mac platform is less susceptible to these problems than PCs?
gak wrote:I should just find an old thread and copy paste, but here we go again.
I apologise. Damned if I could find that thread, though. Possibly searching for wrong term.

freeQlow

21 Nov 2015

I have 3 interface of which 1 I'm currently using with great satisfaction.
Zoom USB3.0 couldn't be happier for $249.00
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UAC2

Presonus Firestudio for hooking up a lot of hardware thru a firewire pcie $399
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireStuProj

Presonus Audiobox - Portable & Cheap USB2.0 $99
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB

all 3 have midi

• Information