Why do you use Propellerhead?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
eamjonsson

09 Sep 2015

Hey everyone! :mrgreen:

I'm doing research about Propellerhead and would be forever grateful is you could answer a few questions,
1. Why are you using Propellerhead instead of Ableton and Logic etc.?
2. Is there any functions you wish Propellerhead had?

Take care!
/ Elin Jonsson

Olivier

09 Sep 2015

Hi,

Just fiy, many threads about what people would like reason to have are created on a regular basis here: http://www.reasontalk.com/viewforum.php?f=6

For me, the skuemorphic design, the cv.. It just works. Also, the fact that I can finish a complete install with all "plugins" in 20 minutes is just awesome. And it has only crashed on me 4 times in 10 + years. So it's been reliable and fun.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

craven

09 Sep 2015

I use Reason because it is the most playful music production tool that I know, it does not feel like work, more like a studio/rack simulation game. I'm in love with the little rack design that you can flip and connect how you see fit since the very beginning of reason. Tried other tools as well but never felt the same creativity I have with Reason. Also, stability and backwards compatibility are very important to me and I'm very happy that Reason is one of the most stable DAWs.
:ugeek:

JNeffLind

09 Sep 2015

My thought process was that Reason seemed geared most towards electronic music and sound design and those seemed like the frontiers of music production. Other genres (pop, rock, blues, jazz, classical) while musically diverse and dynamic aren't generally forging new ground in production techniques (though granted modern pop has taken on more and more electronic flavors, but it's still not leading the way, more piggy-backing on other innovators). Despite not doing any genres of electronic music or doing my own sound design, I wanted the tool that would give me the most flexibility in being creative with production.

The result is generally traditional pop stuff (based around guitar or piano) with some electronic flavor. You'd be shocked how many times users of other programs have called me a genius because I used an instance of synchronous or a preset from the FSB. It's like I was the first one to sail across the ocean and come back with all those exotic spices. People rave about my cooking and I just say "I just did what you did, but I threw some curry powder in there." Reason is my never ending pantry of exotic spices in the generally meat and potato world of pop/rock.

Benedict
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2015

1. Workflow - Reason is so easy, logical and creative to use. Every other DAW I find to be so un-gainly, un-musical - too hard to do things in. Reason seems to help me to be results focused but the others seem all about being obsessed over technical details, like the features are more important than the music. Reason lets me work fast as everything is deceptively simple but so capable.
2. Sure but not really. I'd love to work in film in which case video integration would be required. I'd love a new set of modules for Thor, more Filters etc. Also more knobs etc for Combinator. But really none of that is vital as I can do what I want already. No point wanting what you don't have or you lose ability to work today. When new features do arrive they either just fit and expand what I do or get ignored. Great that they don't get in the way (see #1).
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

normen

09 Sep 2015

1) I don't use it *instead* of other DAWs - I also use Reason. Mainly because the workflow is always the same and consistent. When a new device is added I know how to open presets, connect it to other devices etc. With a new VST or AU in the worst case it brings its own workflow in terms of presets, routing, integration in the DAW etc. so you basically have to sit down and learn its ways before you can even use it - on top of learning about the actual functionality its supposed to get you (synth, eq, compressor, what have you). Plus it has the most flexible routing of any DAW, you can do basically everything that is possible in the analog world as well - and it looks darn cool doing it ;) It always seems to boost my creativity instead of getting in the way.

2) Well sure but not many, really. The only things I go back to other DAWs for (when I start a track in Reason) is mastering because I like to us a "match" EQ and Paul Frindles DSM plugin for that :)

Pinkbox

09 Sep 2015

1 ) Back in the time, it was the CV plugs in the back of the rack that charmed me. I tried Ableton and FL since, and with theses DAW I feel like they tell me how to do things. I'm the master in Reason, and I can do whatever Iwant. I have a lot of tracks that use only one synth that ends in 10 channels, and theses projects are a mess. I like it, and don't think I could do that with Ableton live.

2 ) Since there's a real offer in FM synthesis, I don't really want anything more from Reason. But, yeah, video could be nice.

jappe

09 Sep 2015

Hello Elin,

1. I started using Reason because of the appealing user interface which resembles real world devices. They even made cable movement real world like. That's cool enough for me.
I continue using it because of the workflow which allows a path from idea to implementation that is short enough to fit my quickly passing windows of creativity.
Ableton, Logic: I will consider using them or other software if I find some problem with using Reason. Until then I'll just keep on not fixing what is not broken.

2. I have one awesome idea I'd like to see in Reason. One of these days I'm going to post it with Propellerheads feature request form;)

nooomy

09 Sep 2015

eamjonsson wrote:Hey everyone! :mrgreen:

I'm doing research about Propellerhead and would be forever grateful is you could answer a few questions,

Take care!
/ Elin Jonsson
1. Because i have the most fun and therefore most productive in Reason

2. More advance granular synthesis

MarkTarlton

09 Sep 2015

normen wrote:1) I don't use it *instead* of other DAWs - I also use Reason. Mainly because the workflow is always the same and consistent.

Plus it has the most flexible routing of any DAW, you can do basically everything that is possible in the analog world as well - and it looks darn cool doing it ;) It always seems to boost my creativity instead of getting in the way.
what normen said :)

also because I started using it over 10 years ago and have put a ton of time into learning it on a deeper level.

Dante

09 Sep 2015

1. Workflow and SSL. I use Scope DSP and routing Reason through Cubase (rewire) then ASIO through Scope was a pain. I ditched Cubase and use Scope for mastering only now I only have one mixer - the Reason SSL.

2. VariAudio style pitch editing

KnowKontrol

09 Sep 2015

1. Myself and friends used to play around with ReBirth when that was the only product. Reason was a logical move since we loved ReBirth so much.

2. VST Support.

dioxide

09 Sep 2015

eamjonsson wrote:Hey everyone! :mrgreen:

Take care!
/ Elin Jonsson
1. Firstly I don't use Propellerhead, I use Reason. Reason is a pro-quality studio for musicians, the other apps are either toys or have been left to stagnate. The Reason brand is highly regarded, more so than Propellerhead's brand. ReBirth and ReCycle are history now, only Reason gives Propellerhead any credibility, despite the genius of REs, which sadly most people don't fully understand the advantage of. PH have never pushed this hard enough outside of their existing userbase, even though everyone recognises the problems with VST/AU.

Main reasons for using Reason:

A. Unrivalled stability: both native and plug-in devices.
B. Future proof self-contained files with no reliance on third-party VSTs that won't be kept up to date. REs will work forever.
C. CV connections on the back of the Rack. Other DAWs cannot do these things.

2. Too many to list. Dig through the now deleted Feature Suggestions forum on the old site. In the meantime: Ableton style clip launching and Propellerhead need to stop the Remote stagnation. Manufacturers of MIDI controllers have mostly abandoned Reason so Propellerhead should pick up the slack and start writing codecs for these controllers, because the manufacturers aren't interested, they're all chasing Ableton and Logic.

esselfortium

09 Sep 2015

1) I've been using it for long enough that I know the rack devices and sequencer like the back of my hand, and it provides lots of avenues for creating great sounds. For most things it gives a good balance between power and ease of use, so it can be as simple or complicated as I need it to be.

2) My top request would have to be a powerful new sampler in the rack with scripting, timestretching, and other modern features so I can stop being envious of the amazing instruments available to Kontakt users! IDT should solve part of that problem in theory, but keeping it locked down and not exposed to end-users severely limits its potential uses and goes against the classic DIY-friendly Reason philosophy.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Raveshaper

09 Sep 2015

I use Reason because I am a visual learner primarily. I also like that you can develop your own solutions to desired features using Remote to a surprising extent.

If money was no object, I would have every DAW and rotate through them. Although I would be paying heavier attention to the vast array of powerful scripting options supported by Ableton Live.

I do feel that there are limitations within Reason that are about too punishing to excuse, but the other side of that is it forces you to focus and learn how to use/get the most out of what you have. Most of my nitpicks are technical and less relevant to the majority of users.

Reason makes you work to get a good sound, gives you very basic yet powerful components to build that sound, and doesn't hit you with any hyped up hi-fi sweet sounding plugin presets. You have total control over building your sound. That's why that debate exists. It takes work to sculpt your entire sound from scratch. But that's what saving patches and templates is for. And Reason allows you that level of control. I prefer total control over my sound.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

The Tone Ranger

09 Sep 2015

1) I like the routing, it's easy to use, the most fun and it encourages me to experiment more than any other DAW. I feel it's the most complete out of the box. I'd still use Reason if there wasn't Rack Extentons but I only use Logic because there's AU plugins.

2) Maybe Slate Digital VVC built into the Reason SSL.

Neko the Jaguar

09 Sep 2015

I started using Reason 2 years ago after using hardware only since the 90s. I never imagined myself using software until one day my son came home from school and said he was taking Digital Music Production in the 7th grade. They used Reason. He came home and showed me what it could do, and I instantly was able to work with it. Its that easy. I tried ableton, and had no clue what to do. Not very user friendly at all like Reason. Reason keeps it simple and straight to the point.

gak

10 Sep 2015

1) because it works. I can't say that for many of the other hosts I've used

2) just one? :lol: drag/drop midi (especially not having reason create a fucking new track everytime :x ) , bounce in place, groove to audio, some browser enhancements (like rex playback at tempo) and more flexible/advanced audio editing (like the ability to chop and move audio freely or a less weird way of doing xfades)

Jmax

10 Sep 2015

Reason was the first DAW I ever came across and was at a friends house. He said "Hey, check out this program Reason" and loaded up the Redrum. We quickly came up with a cool beat in seconds and I was so intrigued by how fast and easy and fun it was to create sounds.

It's been about 15 years since then and Reason is and will always be my first love. I think I started with version 3 or 4 and now am at 8.3 Things have only got better and I'm still learning so much everyday.

As many users have already stated it's incredibly easy to make music with reason. It's all laid out there in front of you and encourages the user to turn knobs and get super creative. Reason is eye candy, pure and simple. It's beautiful to look at and so rewarding making music that sounds just as good.

I now also run Ableton and Presonus 3. Both programs have their respective benefits (not counting Vst's of course). Ableton for the pin point editing and Presonus 3 for it's beautiful design, they really hit a home run with ver 3.

It's interesting, with all the Vst's and plugins that I have a Kontakt instruments. I still go back to Reason to make my music. It's incredibly well laid out and simple to automate. It's incredibly pleasing to look at and do know exactly what is doing what.

I think you learn a lot about the way music studios work because of Reason. E.g. if I want to add a limiter in Ableton I just add it to the Master or Instrument. But in Reason you physically connect the devices yourself and understand how the signal chain actually works.

I guess I've always had an emotional connection to Reason. The program itself and now with Rack Extensions, the sky is the limit.

:D

Zerosity

10 Sep 2015

Hmmmm just got an email survey from Props today. Seems they're trying to ramp up ideas for the next version.

gak

10 Sep 2015

That would be teh awesomes. Though happy, love to see some little things under the hood polished :)

We know 8.4 is coming (unless they changed their minds)

Gulale

10 Sep 2015

I used to work in reason a lot 5, 6 years ago. I really loved every minute of it back in the day. But now I might open reason once in a month while I open Studio one 3, Logic x and Harrison Mixbus 3 in a daily bases. I actually found other DAWs to be more inspiring. I love to see my 8 of 1176 from waves on my dual monitor. For example when I mix inside Harrison I can See what plugin I put all over the channel if there is one and will help me more about mixing than searching for a rack. Specially, when they introduced the new reason 8 and drag and drop function, that also contributed for me to go deep inside Studio one. Since studio one had a drag and drop function which I have known the most, for me there was no point to learn Reason drag and drop function from scratch. On top of it the benefit I have found using other DAWs are verity inspiration. And I can buy any plugin I want for a lower price from well known developers. When I need help from waves or other plugin developers I personally call them. I don't need to wait for 24 hours to get help from propellerhead. If Propellerheads decided to bring melodyne and a decent mixing and mastering EQ like studio one or an improved sequencer section I might upgrade and see what reason has to offer. Right now I enjoy this community more than I'm enjoying Reason like I used to.
Gulale aka Bereket

Karim
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2015

0 - STABILITY
1- Intuitive to die after trying each sequencer in the world.
2- I still open yet songs dating back to 1999 when they released the first version.
( try to open old Cubase projects without incurring in missing files and VST no longer compatible.
3- Super fast workflow with the best shortcut on my keyboard.
4... ssl mixer for mixing a raw super fast song.. Blocks .. Bunch of refills... Combinator... Some Killer rack extension... DR rex...

SIMPLY ISPIRING ...

... and it gives me a job on the music industry.... :puf_wink:

"Reason is like your girlfriend" .. [quote]
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

moneykube

10 Sep 2015

I love all the spam ads
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

craven

10 Sep 2015

Zerosity wrote:Hmmmm just got an email survey from Props today. Seems they're trying to ramp up ideas for the next version.
pressing a letter in the browser should jump to folders/devices/samples/etc. starting with that letter - I really miss this common browser behaviour in Reason!
:ugeek:

• Information