looking for a good piano refill or re

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ahs

08 Jul 2015

i am doing some debussy recordings and i want the best piano for reason.

JesusChristIsLord

08 Jul 2015

Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior :thumbs_up:

Kenni
Site Admin

09 Jul 2015

The Radical Piano RE is also a good bet.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

JNeffLind

09 Jul 2015

Best options already listed here. If you're a preset guy, Reason Pianos all the way. If you like to tinker with knobs Radical may be a good choice. I personally prefer Reason Pianos of the two. Definitely sounds better "out of the box" but Radical allows endless tweaking, etc. Emotional Piano is also nice, though needs an update I think before it's on par with Reason Pianos.

Arsenic

09 Jul 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Best options already listed here. If you're a preset guy, Reason Pianos all the way. If you like to tinker with knobs Radical may be a good choice. I personally prefer Reason Pianos of the two. Definitely sounds better "out of the box" but Radical allows endless tweaking, etc. Emotional Piano is also nice, though needs an update I think before it's on par with Reason Pianos.
Pretty much this ▲▲▲ - and by tweaking the mic volumes and the EQ in Reason Pianos Combinators, you can change the character of the presets. Personally, I prefer Reason Pianos over Radical Piano.

As for Emotional Piano - It's OK, but to my mind, something doesn't seem right with it - Mind you, for Kontakt instruments, I always preferred SampleTekks "Black" but I am sorely tempted by Impact Soundworks "Pearl"

ahs

09 Jul 2015

i have already tested radical piano but i can't test anymore (you know).
emotional piano has not a good sound (clicks und posp etc.)
i have a look for reason pianos (not my price tag in the moment)

thank you

keeverw

09 Jul 2015

I own RadPi and have been using it live for a while now. I like it's softer sounds really well, but when I really bang on the keys, it changes to this irritating sound. I don't know how to describe it, but I've played around with the Agitated/Subdued knob, and a few others, but I think it's just part of the samples, and can't really be eliminated.
If I had to pick a word, I would say "Clangy" I don't know. But it's really kind of harsh in the higher velocity ranges.
Maybe that is just the natural sound of the pianos they chose to sample for RadPi. I use the Nice Grand preset mostly, which is a mix of mics but the same grand piano on both sides.

Does anyone else share this observation?
Does Reason Pianos have this issue?

I'm seriously considering giving Reason Pianos a try.
I wish Refills had a free trial like RE's do.
Last edited by keeverw on 09 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

reason2dance

09 Jul 2015

You could google for a Soundfont called "Splendid Grand Piano" and use it in NN-XT. I don't have it anymore, but it was a great freebie, as far as I remember.

Kenni
Site Admin

09 Jul 2015

keeverw wrote:I'm seriously considering giving Reason Pianos a try.
You will not be disappointed by Reason Pianos, I promise you.

Edit: And yes, I kind of understand what you mean with Radical Piano at full velocity notes. In that respect, Reason Pianos is different. There's a lot of different styled pianos, plus you have control over the level of the close mics, floor mics etc. for most of the patches.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

keeverw

09 Jul 2015

Kenni wrote:
keeverw wrote:I'm seriously considering giving Reason Pianos a try.
You will not be disappointed by Reason Pianos, I promise you.

Edit: And yes, I kind of understand what you mean with Radical Piano at full velocity notes. In that respect, Reason Pianos is different. There's a lot of different styled pianos, plus you have control over the level of the close mics, floor mics etc. for most of the patches.
Sweet!
Thanks for the info.

bpmorton

09 Jul 2015

Have you thought about the Alan Parsons Imperial Grand Piano? I just bought this, it's a great piano and on sale right now for $15. 8 velocity layers on the 16 and 24 bit versions and 4 layers on the economy version which is still larger than one of the single mic versions of Reason Pianos

https://www.esoundz.com/sounds/alan-par ... /5248.html

Gardinski

09 Jul 2015

bpmorton wrote:Have you thought about the Alan Parsons Imperial Grand Piano? I just bought this, it's a great piano and on sale right now for $15.
Great find, BPM. I've just picked it up on the strength of your message above, and it's a thing of rare beauty (along with the Neil Peart drums, which were on offer for the same price and are equally impressive).

In my humble opinion, Alan Parson's Imperial Grand blows that preposterously overpriced 'Emotional Piano' thing out of the water (and for about 1/7th of the cost).

Arsenic

09 Jul 2015

bpmorton wrote:Have you thought about the Alan Parsons Imperial Grand Piano?
You know, I forgot I had this one. It's actually not too bad. I picked it up in a sale for next to nothing and got the their Classic Rock Piano Refill as a freebie. I tend to use the NNXT patches and add effects to taste. You can build up quite a nice piano using both the "AP Piano Dark" and "AP Grand Piano" in a Combinator.
Last edited by Arsenic on 11 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

gak

09 Jul 2015

Hmmmmmm, unfortunately it looks as though you can't get it in stores anymore (though I haven't scoured, just a quick search)

I got reason drums for about 50 bucks, was hoping to find one laying around in a store somewhere at a good price.

gak

09 Jul 2015

Sorry, I had a thought. If you buy reason pianos from someone online, would they be able to simply give you the SN, register/transfer, and then D/L from your prop account?

Arsenic

09 Jul 2015

gak wrote:Sorry, I had a thought. If you buy reason pianos from someone online, would they be able to simply give you the SN, register/transfer, and then D/L from your prop account?
I've bought a couple from other people and it works like a Reason license transfer. The difference is that they aren't available to download from my Props account.

In my case the seller either posted the box and discs to me, or they just sent the registration card and uploaded the Refills to Dropbox or something like that. That way I had proof of ownership and access to the Refills in one form or another.

bpmorton

09 Jul 2015

Gardinski wrote:
bpmorton wrote:Have you thought about the Alan Parsons Imperial Grand Piano? I just bought this, it's a great piano and on sale right now for $15.
Great find, BPM. I've just picked it up on the strength of your message above, and it's a thing of rare beauty (along with the Neil Peart drums, which were on offer for the same price and are equally impressive).

In my humble opinion, Alan Parson's Imperial Grand blows that preposterously overpriced 'Emotional Piano' thing out of the water (and for about 1/7th of the cost).
Yep. Some great stuff over there. The NP drums are awesome as well. I went nuts last week and picked up the Miroslav bundle and all of the Ocean Way drums refills (they are a couple of bucks cheaper individually.) The ocean way drums are just as good as the NP drums and include dry/med/wet versions of each kit.

gak

09 Jul 2015

Arsenic wrote:
gak wrote:Sorry, I had a thought. If you buy reason pianos from someone online, would they be able to simply give you the SN, register/transfer, and then D/L from your prop account?
I've bought a couple from other people and it works like a Reason license transfer. The difference is that they aren't available to download from my Props account.

In my case the seller either posted the box and discs to me, or they just sent the registration card and uploaded the Refills to Dropbox or something like that. That way I had proof of ownership and access to the Refills in one form or another.
Ah. That makes it a little bit of a hassle.

BTW, I found it over at JRR shop for 99 but it's not "in stock" Checking with the uncle now on if it's something he can do D/L.

Gardinski

09 Jul 2015

bpmorton wrote:
Yep. Some great stuff over there. The NP drums are awesome as well. I went nuts last week and picked up the Miroslav bundle and all of the Ocean Way drums refills (they are a couple of bucks cheaper individually.)

Haha! Great minds think alike... Yes, I've just ordered volume 3 of the Ocean Way set, and it's currently downloading. Thought I'd just grab one to check it out before deciding on the others, because (as you say) it's fractionally cheaper than the full bundle. I can't get over how rich and resonant the N Peart drums are (especially the cymbals). It's a splendid discovery!

I believe the sale ends tomorrow, so if anyone is interested, you'd better get your skates on.

gak

09 Jul 2015

Ima try the AP. The demos sound good, we'll see.

gak

09 Jul 2015

Ohhhhhhh, me LIKEY especially for 15 bones!

Arsenic

10 Jul 2015

There is one thing I would really like in Reason and that is a good CP80, either Refill or RE. I don't know of anything off hand - Anyone got any ideas?

I wonder if this is something that JP would consider after he completes the Combo Organs

ahs

10 Jul 2015

@BPM

good find "alan Parson" !!

i wanted only one sound and RadPi and others are to expensive for that

ahs

10 Jul 2015

got my copy of AL :mrgreen:

ahs

10 Jul 2015

@arsenic

AL Dark Piano ?