Has there ever been a Refill with new ReGroove patches?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
lowpryo

26 Mar 2015

I know the ReGroove folder in the Factory Sound Bank is pretty large and has a lot of variety. I'm just curious if anyone has ever made a collection of new grooves to supplement them? Just curious.

tibah

26 Mar 2015

https://www.propellerheads.se/download/ ... 4_download

James Bernard's ReGroove Booster is the only thing I can remember right now. :)

lowpryo

26 Mar 2015

IchMensch wrote:https://www.propellerheads.se/download/ ... 4_download

James Bernard's ReGroove Booster is the only thing I can remember right now. :)

ahh cool I didn't know about that. thank you! I miss that guy

challism

28 Mar 2015

Yes, very cool.  Thanks for sharing the link.  And, yes, James was (and still is) awesome... I loved his 52 tips series.  I hope he is doing better now.  Sad what happened to his family.  :frown:

BTW, isn't there a way to make your own regroove patches using REX files?  I've never really played around with it, but I think I remember seeing something like that.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Ostermilk

29 Mar 2015

challism wrote:
BTW, isn't there a way to make your own regroove patches using REX files?  I've never really played around with it, but I think I remember seeing something like that.
It's easy enough to extract the timing from REX loop just by exporting the midi to track and making a groove template out of that.  Getting the velocity from that though is a bit more of a complex challenge.

I find it's better though to extract grooves from midi data I come across.  There are lots of drum midi's to be had out there such as Toontrack, Groove Monkee et al.  A google for 'midi drum grooves free' should put you in touch with enough material to get anyone regrooving.

A good point to remember is that groove templates follow a single stream (monophonic if you like) so you might want to make and use different grooves individually for hats, snares and kicks and so forth.  I find that grooves with 16th or 8th note patterns work best but experiment with whatever you come across.

I've only talked about drum grooves here but you can do the same with midi bass lines etc, whereby note length also comes into play.

Just listen out for midi stuff with a good feel and nice accents and start building up your own Regroove Patches, I often find it's much easier to do that with a project you are working on rather than trying to find a selection of grooves that will fit with what you are doing.

Lunesis

29 Mar 2015

I know that dub made one but I tried going to his page and all I got was this...

http://www.008refills.com/2012/03/14/re ... -quantize/

davidicus

13 Oct 2015

:?:
so, we have all these great grooves, but i still have trouble choosing one. anyone have any tips on how to zero in on the feel i'm looking for?

first, i find i have to listen to entire lists before i find something that maybe isn't 100% right, and it can be tough to hear what nuance is off.
too often, the groove names aren't much help--i won't know how extreme the velocity contrast is going to be, how much swing to expect, where the stresses will be.
it often seems the grooves were designed for a different beat than i'm using it on. at a loss how to anticipate or control this better.
is there any way to explode a groove and look into where it's going to put my 1/32 notes (or whatever)?

Ostermilk

13 Oct 2015

davidicus wrote::?:
so, we have all these great grooves, but i still have trouble choosing one. anyone have any tips on how to zero in on the feel i'm looking for?

first, i find i have to listen to entire lists before i find something that maybe isn't 100% right, and it can be tough to hear what nuance is off.
too often, the groove names aren't much help--i won't know how extreme the velocity contrast is going to be, how much swing to expect, where the stresses will be.
it often seems the grooves were designed for a different beat than i'm using it on. at a loss how to anticipate or control this better.
is there any way to explode a groove and look into where it's going to put my 1/32 notes (or whatever)?
The trick I find is to explode your rhythm tracks into lanes then it's easier to get a feel going on each part, start with say the hats and perhaps the kick if it is more complex than a straight four to the floor. The trouble if you are using a single midi track containing all the different lanes and applying a Regroove to it, everything shifts to that same feel and the result is usually a mess.

RG works wonders on Basslines and Arpeggios too especially if they started out as harshly quantized step sequences (unless that's the flavour you wanted of course).

Also just experiment with the swing and shift controls as not everything needs a strong feel and a little bit of subtlety in the track alignment and a tiny bit of swing added may be all you need.

Once you've got your midi groove exactly how you want it don't forget that you can choose to commit that midi to the groove and make your own Regroove patch from that. Also if you come across some midi from somewhere else that grooves nicely with some nice velocity dynamics don't forget to extract the groove from it. By doing that of course you can then name your own patches in a way that reminds you of what they do and you'll soon build up a set of gotos.

HTH

davidicus

14 Oct 2015

great points--many thanks!

challism

14 Oct 2015

Going thru my refills yesterday, I notice that Peff 32 & Peff 36 refills haves a ton of grooves in them. These were FREE refills at some point. Maybe still available on Props website, IDK for sure.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

dustmoses

03 Mar 2016

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... ve#p247861

These just got added by nooomy.

Is this really it though? I dig me some regroove, are there any buried in other refills? I don't need many more than what we already have, I guess sp-1200 is the main one i'm missing.

• Information