What about the super combinator?

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Pinkbox

19 Mar 2015

Hi,

I was wondering... Why nobody came up with the "super-combinator-with-more-than-4-knobs-and-4-buttons-everybody-is-asking-for-since-ages" rack extension yet? =)
Is it because of the SDK? Because Propellerhead is about to release one?
It would be a best seller for sure..!

Cheers!

JoshuaPhilgarlic

19 Mar 2015

I'm sure this can't be done with the SDK.

hamu

19 Mar 2015

Pinkbox wrote:Hi,

I was wondering... Why nobody came up with the "super-combinator-with-more-than-4-knobs-and-4-buttons-everybody-is-asking-for-since-ages" rack extension yet? =)
Is it because of the SDK? Because Propellerhead is about to release one?
It would be a best seller for sure..!

Cheers!
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:I'm sure this can't be done with the SDK.
Mr Garlic is absolutely right.
Many people have proposed this to PH, and I finally did what some users asked me, created the ModPanel/Newtrol control boards, which are as close I believe an RE can come to replacing (or complementing) the combinator.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... rol-board/

But I'm still hoping - and waiting - for a super combinator. And preferably one which can host standard combinators on it's inside. Two levels so to speak!
:t2018:

Pinkbox

19 Mar 2015

Yep I like this kind of CV controller. But there's so much more parameters you can control with the combinator's programmer ;)

JoshuaPhilgarlic

19 Mar 2015

I could imagine something like this :D :
  • 8 Audio inputs
  • 8 Audio outputs
  • 16 knobs
  • 16 switches
  • 8 Faders
  • 8 CV inputs
  • 8 CV outputs
  • 8 Note outputs
  • 8 Gate outputs
Last edited by JoshuaPhilgarlic on 15 Oct 2015, edited 1 time in total.

K1TTENM1TTEN

19 Mar 2015

To me, I would just like to be able to put combinators inside of combinators. It is absolutely mind blowing to me that this hasn't been doable ever in Reason.  :m0358:

hamu

19 Mar 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:I could emagine something like this :D :
  • 8 Audio inputs
  • 8 Audio outputs
  • 16 knobs
  • 16 switches
  • 8 Faders
  • 8 CV inputs
  • 8 CV outputs
  • 8 Note ouputs
  • 8 Gate outputs
And 128 parameters to control, rather than the 10 we have today! :)

selig
RE Developer

19 Mar 2015

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:To me, I would just like to be able to put combinators inside of combinators. It is absolutely mind blowing to me that this hasn't been doable ever in Reason.  :m0358:
I'd be happy if we could put Combinators inside of all Inserts, Mastering section (new idea) and in the Meta Channel itself (another new idea).

With multiple Combinators in an insert you could then switch from Combi to Combi to select/control them individually from the mixer/programmer. 

Combinators inside of Combinators also presents a basic graphic issue - as the size shrinks inside each Combi as you nest them, going two or more deep would require a different approach to prevent the sides from shrinking inwards and hiding more and more of the enclosed devices. Probably isn't going to happen any time soon that I can see…but never say never!

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

19 Mar 2015

would be amazing if an update for the Combinator can support switches for like 3 or 4 settings instead of using the rotary which doesn't make sense.

in my opinion a Combinator update could simply kill the need to do any IDT kind of stuff. maybe even adding a lock-option for those who don't their Combinator to be tweaked (which is kinda silly right?).

selig
RE Developer

19 Mar 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:would be amazing if an update for the Combinator can support switches for like 3 or 4 settings instead of using the rotary which doesn't make sense.

in my opinion a Combinator update could simply kill the need to do any IDT kind of stuff. maybe even adding a lock-option for those who don't their Combinator to be tweaked (which is kinda silly right?).
Yes - IF it included a full GUI designer, included all the same effects/routing like convolution etc, and included full scripting capabilities. And support for Kontakt import. And support for RE copy protection. And included a full featured sampler. And support for the RE store. And could compile to run efficiently, etc. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

eusti

19 Mar 2015

selig wrote:
Combinators inside of Combinators also presents a basic graphic issue - as the size shrinks inside each Combi as you nest them, going two or more deep would require a different approach to prevent the sides from shrinking inwards and hiding more and more of the enclosed devices. Probably isn't going to happen any time soon that I can see…but never say never!

Couldn't you just get around that by not shrinking the width any further?

D.

selig
RE Developer

19 Mar 2015

selig wrote:

eusti wrote:

D.
How do you put something "inside" of something inside of something without shrinking them? It's more the width I'm talking about here - you'd have to come up with some way to still see the nesting when you exceed one deep.

But I've also suggested that two deep is really all most folks are asking for when you get down to brass tacks, so maybe it wouldn't be an issue if there was a limit of two deep?

I still want multiple combinators inside of Inserts…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

19 Mar 2015

The Combinator still remains - to this day - one of Reason's most powerful features, IMHO.  That said, it's also its greatest thorn as it hasn't changed hardly since its release 10 years ago.  Its interface feels long in the tooth, to say the least.  Just 4 knobs and 4 buttons?  Really?

I'd say a Combinator 2.0 is long overdue.  But... I'd rather see the RE SDK add long overdue features before that's even thought of (sample import, panel changing with dynamic content, etc).  But I digress...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jfrichards

25 Mar 2015

EnochLight wrote:...I'd say a Combinator 2.0 is long overdue...
Sure is, and it would be relatively easy to expand it, with a little rearrangement, so it could fit inside Combinator 1.0

This quick mockup includes three horizontal faders for grouping any combinations of controls.  Adding Giles' adjustable linearity for the faders, and a momentary option for the buttons would be fabulous.  Regular Combinator control buttons would be above or below the 8 banks for more real estate.  Decibel numbers would be 0-127 instead (or just a number display), although an option for audio would be cool.

Still rainin', still dreamin'.

eusti

25 Mar 2015

selig wrote:

eusti wrote:

D.
selig wrote:
How do you put something "inside" of something inside of something without shrinking them? It's more the width I'm talking about here - you'd have to come up with some way to still see the nesting when you exceed one deep.

But I've also suggested that two deep is really all most folks are asking for when you get down to brass tacks, so maybe it wouldn't be an issue if there was a limit of two deep?

;)
I was thinking like this:

To show what is in which combinator I'd tone them slightly in color / give them a different color outline.

D.
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-03-25_at_1.18.38_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-03-25_at_1.18.38_PM.png (513.29 KiB) Viewed 4920 times

TheFilterMob

25 Mar 2015

Wow, I thought I was the only one dreaming of this "super combinator", this would intensely increase propellerhead version 9(if included) into an even bigger giant in the production software market!!!!!   If they sold it in the re department, I would buy it for 500$ easily!!!!!!!!
I'm a Propellerhead for life!

frog974new

25 Mar 2015

a feature i want ^^ : no cap line for the programmer
its always a bit boring to see we can't add an other line for the combinator routing

jfrichards

25 Mar 2015

How about a half-rack device?  Like a CMB-4.  Add as many as you want into a Combinator.  Have a few varieties, like one with stepped knobs, one with adjustable linearity, one with momentary buttons...

Attachments
5-8.png
5-8.png (54.1 KiB) Viewed 4897 times

jfrichards

25 Mar 2015

jfrichards wrote:How about a half-rack device?  Like a CMB-4.  Add as many as you want into a Combinator.  Have a few varieties, like one with stepped knobs, one with adjustable linearity, one with momentary buttons...

This would be really good for a ReasonTalk Rack Extension.  Can we all pay Giles to make one?  And add a Faceplate Color right click option with all the track colors?  I'll donate $25 for development through the ReasonTalk PayPal account.  If it's designed like other Rack Extensions, all the programming hookups will show up in the Combinator.  And an Expand button would open up the devices inside it.

selig
RE Developer

25 Mar 2015

selig wrote:

eusti wrote:

D.
selig wrote:

;)
eusti wrote:
I was thinking like this:
eusti wrote: 

To show what is in which combinator I'd tone them slightly in color / give them a different color outline.

D.
This is exactly what I'm talking about doing with inserts - however, with nesting Combinators my question concerns going one level deeper (sorry I didn't make that more clear). It's when you put something inside of something that's already inside of something that the shrinking issues occur.

Again, simply going one level in for Combis and Inserts (which are basically Combis) would solve 90% of the issues most mention for wanting this feature. Infinite nesting is not required IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

25 Mar 2015

jfrichards wrote:How about a half-rack device?  Like a CMB-4.  Add as many as you want into a Combinator.  Have a few varieties, like one with stepped knobs, one with adjustable linearity, one with momentary buttons...

jfrichards wrote:
This would be really good for a ReasonTalk Rack Extension.  Can we all pay Giles to make one?  And add a Faceplate Color right click option with all the track colors?  I'll donate $25 for development through the ReasonTalk PayPal account.  If it's designed like other Rack Extensions, all the programming hookups will show up in the Combinator.  And an Expand button would open up the devices inside it.
Sorry, with the current SDK you can't have half rack devices, or have an "expand" button, or put other devices inside etc. You also can't control other devices "combinator style", you only have CV as an option.and you STILL have to open the combinator to access them… ;(

I currently use Gain as a CV source for things like controlling mod depth for CV paths (since the little knob on the back of devices can't be automated and for generating control signals for other parameters. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

25 Mar 2015

People actually want to put combinators inside of combinators? That would be messy.
And as Selig points out—sizing issue. What happens when you want to open a Combinator that's inside of another Combinator?

And can you put a Combinator in that Combinator? You can say no, but then what happens if you save a Combinator that contains a Combinator and then load it in another Combinator?

I'm all about more knobs and buttons. But as far as Combinators inside Combinators, I think this is a benefit the way things are now...
Allow the limitations to direct you to route more efficiently :)

eusti

25 Mar 2015

selig wrote:
This is exactly what I'm talking about doing with inserts - however, with nesting Combinators my question concerns going one level deeper (sorry I didn't make that more clear). It's when you put something inside of something that's already inside of something that the shrinking issues occur.

Again, simply going one level in for Combis and Inserts (which are basically Combis) would solve 90% of the issues most mention for wanting this feature. Infinite nesting is not required IMO.
I would do the same, just either highlighting or outlining the next lower level in a different shade.
That's why I wouldn't shrink it any further...

D.

jfrichards

25 Mar 2015

selig wrote:...with the current SDK you can't have half rack devices, or have an "expand" button, or put other devices inside etc. You also can't control other devices "combinator style", you only have CV as an option.and you STILL have to open the combinator to access them… 
OK, back to begging Prop staff for Combinator II.

lowpryo

25 Mar 2015

I support this only because everyone else seems so passionate about it, but I have no idea how people need more than 4 knobs to modulate a sound. Have you guys tried lumping parameters together? I can't imagine separately automating 4+ knobs that each do something different. At that point I'd rather just make separate devices!

• Information