ASIO Driver for Realtek HD Audio (Windows)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Ostermilk

03 Feb 2015

During the last throes of the PUF somebody raised the question whether there was a native ASIO driver for Windows Laptops/Notebooks that use Realtek HD Audio Codecs under Windows.  He managed to find one for his particular computer which led me to digging around for a bit of further investigation.

Well after a bit of digging around I did indeed find that some MB manufactures do supply a little seperate installer for ASIO that doesn't get installed along with the main Windows Audio drivers, and what I also found is that where this seperate install is included it always contains the same dll driver.  So first off check your machines audio driver setup to see if this is already included and install that if you want to use it.

Failing that I've put together a zip file to install the required dll manually which you can download here.

We all know that the ideal solution would be to equip yourself with a decent audio interface but if you want to noodle out some arrangement on the train while you've got a pair of earbuds and nothing more at hand, what then? There is the ubiquitous and rather lovely ASIO4ALL available for the same task, which has the added advantage of being able to aggregate your Windows Audio driver so you can use more than one app at a time, but I often hear people talking about having issues with that or not being able to get the audio latency down to an acceptable level.  So if you are one of those people you may (or may not) find this Realtek developed, albeit unsupported, native driver useful.

Anyhow here it is.

Realtek_ASIO_Driver.zip    

orthodox
RE Developer

03 Feb 2015

It seems to me that this driver will not work with a 64-bit app. I may be wrong but that is what follows from setup.txt.
To be honest, I am afraid of installing it considering its age and that asio4all works well for me.

It's a shame that no one developed a unified ASIO driver for any Intel HDA (Azalia) codec.

Ostermilk

03 Feb 2015

orthodox wrote:It seems to me that this driver will not work with a 64-bit app. I may be wrong but that is what follows from setup.txt. To be honest, I am afraid of installing it considering its age and that asio4all works well for me. It's a shame that no one developed a unified ASIO driver for any Intel HDA (Azalia) codec.
It's working fine on my 64bit Windows 7 laptop.

I wrote the setup.txt AFTER going to the trouble of checking it out btw... ;)

Windows itself uses Universal Audio Architecture specifically for HD Audio (Azalia) setups of which Realtek is a common brand so it's likely that this will work with any HD Audio codec.  see here  particularly the section on host controllers.

If you are liking ASIO4ALL already though as I said in the OP then there's little or nothing to be gained.  I merely posted it here for those that might find it helpful.  There's no harm can be done by registering a dll to the system and the driver will only ever get used in an application that you've specified you want to use it with and unless somebody knows of a different native ASIO driver for HD Audio the I think you'll find that Realtek are the only ones to have made one and this is it.

The age of the dll is immaterial being as the HD Audio spec was finalized in 2004.

seeder

11 Nov 2016

I confirm too that driver is working good to windows 10 64bit system .. Just follow the setup.txt guide

ljekio

11 Nov 2016

Interesting, but my Reason cant recognize in driver.
Reaper can it. Why?

Steve Brown

02 Jan 2017

I had no problem registering RTHDASIO.dll on my 64-bit Windows 10 system, per the instructions in setup.txt, but a 64-bit application named RealPianos does not "see" the driver, perhaps because it's a 32-bit driver. When I run that application, it reports that an ASIO driver is required, and none is available. A 32-bit version of RealPianos is available, but I prefer not to go that route. Instead, I will have to use ASIO4ALL, or buy a soundcard supplied with ASIO drivers.

chk071

02 Jan 2017

Actually, ASIO4ALL performs quite well with most WDM cards, at least it always did here. If you need very low latency, it's pretty much inevitable to buy an audio interface anyway.
:reason: :rebirth:

Aquila

04 Jan 2017

Yep just tried installing and Reason does not see the driver, perhaps my audio hardware is incompatible:

HP Pavilion 15-ak085na laptop with Realtek HD Audio v6.0.1.7584b driver (Win10 64 bit)

Ostermilk

04 Jan 2017

Ostermilk wrote:...you may (or may not) find this Realtek developed, albeit unsupported, native driver useful.

Bear in mind that I posted this nearly two years ago but the quote above still applies... ;)

gsolar

24 Feb 2017

Hi Ostermilk

I have installed like you have explained in the txt-File. But when i will run RTASIOCP.exe nothing happens.

I use w10-64 on a Fujitsu Notebook with the Realtec HD Audio.

Do you have a idea what the problem could be?

Thanks very moch for your help!

• Information