Newtrols in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

challism

28 Jan 2015

I'm glad to see Hamu has left the purple behind.  These look much better.  :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

pathammy

28 Jan 2015

$10 more, though??  Seems kinda steep for just a different color...

Grinder One

28 Jan 2015

pathammy wrote:$10 more, though??  Seems kinda steep for just a different color...
It would be nice if those of us that bought the ModPanel(I bought mine just 2 weeks ago), could pay the difference to switch the license to the Newtrol...I doubt PH could get this into action though.

Mart.

joeyluck

28 Jan 2015

pathammy wrote:$10 more, though??  Seems kinda steep for just a different color...
Grinder One wrote: It would be nice if those of us that bought the ModPanel(I bought mine just 2 weeks ago), could pay the difference to switch the license to the Newtrol...I doubt PH could get this into action though.

Mart.
From my understanding, developers have control over that by being able to offer you coupon codes. 
I can understand the price difference though...  People wanted the developer to put in extra work to give them something they wanted, but that the developer didn't feel was necessary. So, you pay for that preference. Otherwise, the others remain the same price...

childofsaturn

28 Jan 2015

I was planning on picking up the black version until he decided to charge $10 more for a color change. A small graphical change such as that should require no difference in price. I've seen plenty of changes/improvements to other REs without it affecting the price. It just comes across as bitterness toward the community for not sharing his opinion in design aesthetics. I'm sad to say that Hamu is on my "no buy" list.

hamu

28 Jan 2015

Grinder One wrote: It would be nice if those of us that bought the ModPanel(I bought mine just 2 weeks ago), could pay the difference to switch the license to the Newtrol...I doubt PH could get this into action though.

Mart.
childofsaturn wrote:I was planning on picking up the black version until he decided to charge $10 more for a color change. A small graphical change such as that should require no difference in price. I've seen plenty of changes/improvements to other REs without it affecting the price. It just comes across as bitterness toward the community for not sharing his opinion in design aesthetics. I'm sad to say that Hamu is on my "no buy" list.
I can surely understand this sentiment. I have previously made a number of functional updates to my earlier devices, relased as free updates for existing users and no change in price for new customers.  And to tell the truth, none of my devices bring any bags of income; I create things mainly for my own needs and for the satisfaction of providing others with tools at a reasonable price. If you check the prices of my older RE's, and especially the bundles (which BTW I always announce at the same time as the release of the devices included), you will find they are the lowest possible.
However, this new black design was requested by people who couldn't accept the purple design, and I had no interest in doing it other than to meet these wishes from people who would "never even consider getting any RE with that purple color". Even at this price level, I can assure you that I don't expect to get more than one or two $ per hour spent on this, to me, useless work. I give you what you want, I'm "selling my soul" if you like, but I will at least try to get something back from it. Alright, you may call this bitterness, but if I had never even considered providing these black Newtrols, you'd probably not have had any opinion about it my arrogant attitude, ignoring such a simple design update.
I also have to consider those customers who paid for the purple devices, like Mart, only to find they want to change for the new design. To me it would seem unfair to those loyal, early customers if I kept the same price level.
About coupons, yes it's possible, but it would almost be cheaper for me to give the new devices away than handing out coupons. And there's a limit to haw much you can give away...

Anyway...
Let's be happy for the choice! If the colour is important to you, forget about the old cheap, purple, discomforting devices. Look att what the Newtrols bring you for their price tags. And the bundle with all three will be only €29/$35 - consider what you get for the money, compare to other devs, evaluate if they would be useful to you. They are there, waiting for you.
If you find the Newtrols useful, and price worthy, then - and only then - consider if a lousy $10 would encourage you to go purple?

And why not join the patch contest and win a black control panel!  :D

I'm happy as long as you're happy!  :)
(And if you're not, well, I'm sorry...)

eusti

28 Jan 2015

Hamu,

I have not purchased any of your devices (yet), since I fear I might get lost in the depth of the CV labyrinth,
but you seem to offer great stuff for a very fair price...
And $ 35 for the bundle seems to be a steal actually... Provided you have use for them...

Wishing you best of luck with these!!!

D.

bepemixer

28 Jan 2015

Hello Hamu you were speaking, now black your rack extension can please everyone even those who said that they were horrible purple. There are no more excuses, I use your RE in almost all projects and believe me their color allows me to find them easily. Now that you've made the restyling for the freak I think it's time to think about the next RE.
Thanks for your valuable work

Good music at all with Reason...what else.
Io uso Reason perchè funziona sempre!! : :reason: :record: :recycle: :ignition: :refill: :reload:

Grinder One

28 Jan 2015

Don't get me wrong Hákan, my post wasn't a complaint...it was just a thought that went through my head after reading pathammy's post. I knew the Newtrol was coming when I opted to buy the ModPanel...I could have waited but, I was so impressed with the ModPanel and even more at the price of the bundle, I decided to snatch it up quickly incase it was an error :)

My favourite part of the ModPanel is the faders because, now I can actually shape envelopes using the correct method, rotaries just don't feel right for envelopes IMO. A great RE whatever the colour. Thanks...

Mart.

hamu

28 Jan 2015

Grinder One wrote:Don't get me wrong Hákan, my post wasn't a complaint...it was just a thought that went through my head after reading pathammy's post. I knew the Newtrol was coming when I opted to buy the ModPanel...I could have waited but, I was so impressed with the ModPanel and even more at the price of the bundle, I decided to snatch it up quickly incase it was an error :)

My favourite part of the ModPanel is the faders because, now I can actually shape envelopes using the correct method, rotaries just don't feel right for envelopes IMO. A great RE whatever the colour. Thanks...

Mart.
Thank you Mart.
It always makes me glad to know people find my creations useful. 
:s0221:

craven

28 Jan 2015

the devices look really neat (I also prefer the black ones), thanks for working on this!
:ugeek:

Jagwah

29 Jan 2015

I really like my ModPanels and I agree Hamu's prices are excellent and if you are in to CV his devices are invaluable.

I am super surprised though to see this nice new black version in the shop, that I can't simply 'upgrade' to. The only way for me to do this is to buy them outright and make my three purple ModPanels totally redundant.

I understand Hamu's position but I honestly think more money could have been made by offering a simple upgrade path to these devices, I would have paid a few dollars to upgrade to the black colour, absolutely would have.

The purple doesn't bother me at all when I'm working away, so I'll just forget about it.

hamu

29 Jan 2015

Jagwah wrote:I really like my ModPanels and I agree Hamu's prices are excellent and if you are in to CV his devices are invaluable.

I am super surprised though to see this nice new black version in the shop, that I can't simply 'upgrade' to. The only way for me to do this is to buy them outright and make my three purple ModPanels totally redundant.

I understand Hamu's position but I honestly think more money could have been made by offering a simple upgrade path to these devices, I would have paid a few dollars to upgrade to the black colour, absolutely would have.

The purple doesn't bother me at all when I'm working away, so I'll just forget about it.
Thank you for your kind words, Jagwah.

Unfortunately there's no straightforward way in the PH shop to provide an upgrade path from ModPanel to Newtrol. You can be sure I would use it if there was one. The coupon system is unfortunately not useful for any big discounts.
I will however contact PH directly with the aim to find out if anything at all can be done along these lines.

Despondo
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2015

I, for one, have a problem with the release of identical devices with simply a colour change as the difference. This leads to fracturing of being able to share patches using the devices. I own all of hamu's devices up to this point, with the exception of these three new ones. What happens if someone shares a patch using these new devices? Will I be able to load them if I only own the older devices, even if they are functionally identical? I wish hamu didn't give into the 'purple haters' and would have stuck to his guns. I'm also surprised that the Props allowed this to pass inspection.

hamu

29 Jan 2015

Despondo wrote:I, for one, have a problem with the release of identical devices with simply a colour change as the difference. This leads to fracturing of being able to share patches using the devices. I own all of hamu's devices up to this point, with the exception of these three new ones. What happens if someone shares a patch using these new devices? Will I be able to load them if I only own the older devices, even if they are functionally identical? I wish hamu didn't give into the 'purple haters' and would have stuck to his guns. I'm also surprised that the Props allowed this to pass inspection.
These are all good points Despondo, and to some extent I regret giving in to the call for a more neutral design. Anyway, done is done...

As I also just commented in the patch contest thread, repatch files can be edited in a text editor like Notepad++ or similar, but cables have to be manually reconnected inside Reason. And if the Newtrol device is missing in a combi or song patch this is not so easy to do. To my knowledge it's not possible to edit e.g. a combi patch file outside Reason!
I'd love it if someone could correct me. If it was possible I could consider programming an app to convert from one to the other in either direction, but I'm afraid that would require knowledge aboute Reason that only props themself have...

In 'serious' situations, I could consider converting manually from one to the other, if you contact support@hamu.se  :s0826:  
However, my access to other developers RE's are of course a bit limited, so it depends on what is included in such combis or songs.

Faastwalker

29 Jan 2015

These look much better in black I must say. Not sure about the higher price for exactly the same device in a different colour. But I understand how you came to this & these were ridiculously affordable to start with & still represent amazing value. I feel though that I'd only need one of these. The bundle seems like a no brainer at the price. But why do I need all three? Do they all do the same just with different amounts of controls?

hamu

29 Jan 2015

Faastwalker wrote:These look much better in black I must say. Not sure about the higher price for exactly the same device in a different colour. But I understand how you came to this & these were ridiculously affordable to start with & still represent amazing value. I feel though that I'd only need one of these. The bundle seems like a no brainer at the price. But why do I need all three? Do they all do the same just with different amounts of controls?
They are almost the same, except for the amount of controls. The '16 however is missing the MIDI performance outputs, which I myself use frequently. I tend to use the '12 a lot, even though my BFC2000 has only 8 'channels', placing my separate instrument and FX controls in the first 8 channels and leaving the last four to common settings like slew rates, mixing, tempo and other 'global' selections...

There is a more detailed list regarding the differences close to the end of the product pages in the shop:

Newtrol versions difference summary
[*]
Newtrol 8 has
[/*]
  • 8 channels, 48 controls
  • 8 Seq CV output socket pairs
  • Separate PolyCV output pair always available
  • MIDI perfomance outputs
  • Bipolar and invert switches for each widget
[*]
Newtrol 12 has
[/*]
  • 12 channels, 72 controls
  • 12 Seq CV output socket pairs
  • Separate PolyCV output pair always available
  • MIDI perfomance outputs
  • Bipolar and invert switches for each widget
[*]
Newtrol 16 has
[/*]
  • 16 channels, 96 controls
  • 1 Seq CV output pair
  • or PolyCV via the only CV output sockets pair
  • No MIDI perfomance outputs
  • Bipolar and invert switches cover half rows
Why are there three different versions?
Well, in some cases you may prefer a spacey layout, longer tags, close match to your favourite remote controller and a full set of midi outputs. Newtrol 8 could be ideal.
Other times you need as many control widgets as possible on a single device, and Newtrol 16 is the choice. Midi outputs are reduced since Reason (SDK) limits the total number of outputs.
You really only want one panel, to reduce cost and keep things easy? Maybe Newtrol 12 is the ideal compromise?
The Newt Pond bundle The bundle gives you all newts in the pond; All three versions at the price we would have charged anyway if we had made one unit only. It's at less than half of what you would pay for the individual Newtrols.

Goan

29 Jan 2015

Hamu thanks for doing this, i was the one who started the PUF "can't stand purple" thread. As promised i'm gonna buy one of the newtrols  :thumbup:
Goan doesn't do Goa, he likes samples, weirdness, beats
Tools of choice: Reason, iPad, MicroBrute
Listen: http://adamagon.bandcamp.com/album/the- ... e-remix-ep

hamu

29 Jan 2015

Goan wrote:Hamu thanks for doing this, i was the one who started the PUF "can't stand purple" thread. As promised i'm gonna buy one of the newtrols  :thumbup:
...and look where you got me!  :s0106:

Hehe, thanks for approving and supporting though!  :D

kloeckno

29 Jan 2015

If the new colors were simply an upgrade, that would've made it so everyone who bought the purple Modpanels would now have the Newtrols if they ever update. And Hamu probably knew some people were happy with their purple! So a new product is probably the best compromise.

InavigableHeart

30 Jan 2015

This is great advertising... I'm now gonna have to buy the PURPLE ;) bundle when I get in from work tonight. For some reason I'd previously overlooked them, and had recently been feeling limited by combinators.

Great value too, thanks for your honorable services to Reason Hamu!

michael.jaye

30 Jan 2015

I couldn't imagine not using an RE because of the colour. If it did what it should do, that's enough.

Ostermilk

30 Jan 2015

Mart.
hamu wrote:
childofsaturn wrote:I was planning on picking up the black version until he decided to charge $10 more for a color change. A small graphical change such as that should require no difference in price. I've seen plenty of changes/improvements to other REs without it affecting the price. It just comes across as bitterness toward the community for not sharing his opinion in design aesthetics. I'm sad to say that Hamu is on my "no buy" list.
hamu wrote:
I can surely understand this sentiment. I have previously made a number of functional updates to my earlier devices, relased as free updates for existing users and no change in price for new customers.  And to tell the truth, none of my devices bring any bags of income; I create things mainly for my own needs and for the satisfaction of providing others with tools at a reasonable price. If you check the prices of my older RE's, and especially the bundles (which BTW I always announce at the same time as the release of the devices included), you will find they are the lowest possible.
However, this new black design was requested by people who couldn't accept the purple design, and I had no interest in doing it other than to meet these wishes from people who would "never even consider getting any RE with that purple color". Even at this price level, I can assure you that I don't expect to get more than one or two $ per hour spent on this, to me, useless work. I give you what you want, I'm "selling my soul" if you like, but I will at least try to get something back from it. Alright, you may call this bitterness, but if I had never even considered providing these black Newtrols, you'd probably not have had any opinion about it my arrogant attitude, ignoring such a simple design update.
I also have to consider those customers who paid for the purple devices, like Mart, only to find they want to change for the new design. To me it would seem unfair to those loyal, early customers if I kept the same price level.
About coupons, yes it's possible, but it would almost be cheaper for me to give the new devices away than handing out coupons. And there's a limit to haw much you can give away...

Anyway...
Let's be happy for the choice! If the colour is important to you, forget about the old cheap, purple, discomforting devices. Look att what the Newtrols bring you for their price tags. And the bundle with all three will be only €29/$35 - consider what you get for the money, compare to other devs, evaluate if they would be useful to you. They are there, waiting for you.
If you find the Newtrols useful, and price worthy, then - and only then - consider if a lousy $10 would encourage you to go purple?

And why not join the patch contest and win a black control panel!  :D

I'm happy as long as you're happy!  :)
(And if you're not, well, I'm sorry...)
I absolutely applaud your initiative here, it may even quell some of the future whining about the aesthetics that Devs use for their products.  If folk want to moan about fantastic and usable devices that have great and workable UI's just because they don't like the 'wallpaper' then make 'em pay.

An impressively courageous move which shows great character and will also hopefully educate a few people into appreciating the truly delicate beauty of the original Hamu Purple.

Brilliant stuff.

• Information