Modulation Routing

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Libraquaricorn

26 Jan 2015

The Combinator is nice, but the 10 slots of modulation routing is somewhat limited, in my humble opinion. Could anyone be sweet enough to recommend me a Re or a "trick" that could help me overcome these limitations. Thank you, Oh great community of Reason-able People :-)

Reasonistas
RE Developer

26 Jan 2015

Yes, you can use Quadeletra's 
CV Suite Parametrix
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... arametrix/

Possible Uses
  • Use the CV Parametrix unit to apply filtering and modulation of the values, of the controlled parameters using other CV modulation sources such as the CV Suite Line Processor.
  • Embed a CV Parametrix unit inside a Combinator, and connect it's CV ins to Parametrix'es CV outs to double the amount of controlled Combinator parameter knobs to 8!
  • Use the second CV out of each parameter, or a CV splitter to control multiple instrument parameters with one knob.

ImageImageImage

Libraquaricorn

26 Jan 2015

Awesome! Thank you, Noel G!

hamu

27 Jan 2015

Libraquaricorn wrote:The Combinator is nice, but the 10 slots of modulation routing is somewhat limited, in my humble opinion. Could anyone be sweet enough to recommend me a Re or a "trick" that could help me overcome these limitations. Thank you, Oh great community of Reason-able People :-)
You could check out the ModPanels control boards from Hamu. Or the black versions called Newtrols and due for the shop any day now.
If you want to control several devices in parallell from a single device in the rack and/or a single remote controller, this is exactly the purpose of these devices. 

There are several videos showing how to use ModPanels and Newtrols, e.g.

Hope you found this info useful and not just a waste of time... ;)

Pepin

27 Jan 2015

Noel G. wrote:
  • Embed a CV Parametrix unit inside a Combinator, and connect it's CV ins to Parametrix'es CV outs to double the amount of controlled Combinator parameter knobs to 8!
That's certainly useful, but it's not really what the OP was asking about. His issue is the 10 slot limit, not the 4 knob limit. The Combinator inputs still take up slots.

A partial solution is using CV inputs on the backs of devices whenever possible (hooked to Thor knobs, ModPanels, Parametrix, etc.).

Of course, some routing combinations will remain impossible unless Props upgrades the Combinator.

hamu

27 Jan 2015

Noel G. wrote:
Pepin wrote:
That's certainly useful, but it's not really what the OP was asking about. His issue is the 10 slot limit, not the 4 knob limit. The Combinator inputs still take up slots.

A partial solution is using CV inputs on the backs of devices whenever possible (hooked to Thor knobs, ModPanels, Parametrix, etc.).

Of course, some routing combinations will remain impossible unless Props upgrades the Combinator.
You're quite right Pepin, and the same mistake was made by me... :frown:

We are many who would certainly love more slots in the combi programmer.

Raveshaper

27 Jan 2015

You can create combinator networks using Thor instances to transmit knob and button signals from one combi to others, but you will still be limited by the modulation cap in each slave unit. You'll just have more things going on in response to each control on the master/hub of the network.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2015

The confusion between CVs and Combi knobs is common. Easiest to remember the Combinator uses the same concept as automation - it simply grabs the knob and moves it.

CV, OTOH, bypasses the knob and goes directly to the parameter begin controlled by the knob, or more accurately, is summed with the CV from the knob.

The limits with automation are that only one source can be "in charge" of the knob at a time - the knob can't be in two places at once! Limits with CV are you can't visualize the CV's affect, but that's true of all modulation in Reason, CV or internal to a single device. :frown:

Selig Audio, LLC

Libraquaricorn

27 Jan 2015

Pepin nailsd it... i really want an upgraded Combinator. The Parametrix is nice but eventually it did not solve my problem. i'll experiment with QwaizanG's Thor network, I guess....sounds interesting. Thanks!

Raveshaper

27 Jan 2015

If you need a better description of how to set that up I can go through it.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

• Information