Good video. Propellerhead criticism.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
hydlide

Post 28 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote: Greetings Ed, thanks for chiming in.  If you're on 8.1, can you share with us why you decided to record that video using a previous version and making it a point that it wasn't compatible with Discover?  
Excellent question.  I gathered that he only had 7.1 from the video and this comment beginning @5:04...
Since both of you are asking the same question. My simple answer is I run Reason 4, Reason 5, Reason 6.5, Reason 7.1, Reason 8 and Reason 8.1 on my Desktop.

The laptop I am using runs mostly Reason 5, Reason 7.1 and Reason 8.1.

Since I have to answer a lot of questions, send back files which are compatible to their Reason versions, and collaborations and so on I have this set up so I can keep everyone happy. I create packages which are compatible with Reason 4 and up wards and so on, I do a lot of Reason hopping if you will.

I recently didn't use Reason 8.1 that much because most of my contacts are still using Reason 7.1 and below. There for it makes no sense for me just to tag along on Reason 8.1 just to use a product like discover.

The reason why I am not ready to use discover is simple: NDA.
That is the major reason why I will avoid using Discover for the time being since I don't like the idea that a company who owns a product can look in my products which I am producing.

I am not saying that they will, or can see everything in Discover, simply put, I am dealing with sensitive material, so I never share my stuff in public / a different company that owns the product nor am I going to start doing so.

Its basically the same reason why I avoid using Github for instance (as I have explained).

Now, to get to the point why I didn't use Reason 8.1 at the time I recorded the video?
I did a session on Reason 7.1, since it was the latest version I did a session with. I was on a short time table and I needed to record 6 videos in one evening.


elizzle
Posts: 27
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2015


I like this video.  It ruled!   I have the same exact questions for Propellerhead.  Shutting down the Forum is a straight up kick in the balls.
 
I also have a question about Take.  Why the hell would I want to record a vocal sample into my crappy phone microphone when I have a 300 dollar Balance and 200 dollar Shure PG-42 at home?


I mean its cool and everything when you want to lay down an idea and you are on the run or somewhere away from your studio.  But, there is a sound recorder on my phone.  I won't be transering the crappy quality sample into reason.  The "idea" will just be re-recorded.
 
I think Discover, Take, and Figure are all crappy programs honestly.

I'm also wondering why FLstudio offers free lifetime upgrades when you purchase their product and Reason keeps charging $129 every time you turn around.
 
I'm also wondering why every new Reason feature that is worth half a shit is an RE and not included into the program.
Sometimes, I wonder to myself if Propellerhead shut down the forum because they were asked such questions and they were tired of hearing it.  I know there are social network sites such as Facebook, TWitter, blah blah blah.  But,l are those really as INFORMATIONAL as a forum?  Man.  Hellz. Naw.

 
Also, Why would I want to make music on my iPad with Figure when I have a: i5, 8gb, ssd laptop with Reason on it?   I just don't get it.
 
Why is everyone saying this guy is "unprofessional" anyways.  IS this a business meeting?  Is he getting paid for the video?  Are you wearing a suit and tie while reading this forum?
 

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 10137
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 28 Jan 2015

elizzle wrote: I like this video.  It ruled!   I have the same exact questions for Propellerhead.  Shutting down the Forum is a straight up kick in the balls.
 
I also have a question about Take.  Why the hell would I want to record a vocal sample into my crappy phone microphone when I have a 300 dollar Balance and 200 dollar Shure PG-42 at home?


I mean its cool and everything when you want to lay down an idea and you are on the run or somewhere away from your studio.  But, there is a sound recorder on my phone.  I won't be transering the crappy quality sample into reason.  The "idea" will just be re-recorded.
 
I think Discover, Take, and Figure are all crappy programs honestly.

I'm also wondering why FLstudio offers free lifetime upgrades when you purchase their product and Reason keeps charging $129 every time you turn around.
 
I'm also wondering why every new Reason feature that is worth half a shit is an RE and not included into the program.
Sometimes, I wonder to myself if Propellerhead shut down the forum because they were asked such questions and they were tired of hearing it.  I know there are social network sites such as Facebook, TWitter, blah blah blah.  But,l are those really as INFORMATIONAL as a forum?  Man.  Hellz. Naw.

 
Also, Why would I want to make music on my iPad with Figure when I have a: i5, 8gb, ssd laptop with Reason on it?   I just don't get it.
 
Why is everyone saying this guy is "unprofessional" anyways.  IS this a business meeting?  Is he getting paid for the video?  Are you wearing a suit and tie while reading this forum?
 
This is a forum for discussing stuff like this - no use in trying to "understand" why folks have different opinions than you! I think most comments here were addressing what they saw as contradictions in the video commentary. IMO it's great that hydlide is here to respond to those comments, if he so chooses. Let's keep it civil, as always!

As for your other comments, not everyone that has an i-device also has a laptop, and not everyone with a laptop carries it with them everywhere or is able to access it as easily at times when creativity strikes. For example, I know many professional songwriters who rely on i-devices to document their ideas that come at inopportune times. 

Usefulness is in the eye of the beholder!   ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

hydlide

Post 28 Jan 2015

MarkTarlton wrote:one thing that has nothing to do with the video content that has been bugging me about ed's videos is the limiting on em... it's distorting to where the narration is hard for me to listen and stay focused cuz all I can do is listen to the quality of the audio. It's been going on for a few at this point. It might be a cheap mic to begin with and than once it's cranked up with a brickwall type setting it really makes it sound rough...I mean no disrespect cuz I enjoy his stuff and think he does a good job helping a lot of folks who are new to Reason..if you're reading this hyd you know I have mad respect and love for ya!
I missed your comment Mark, but let me address the issue here (since I am in to this right now),
Fair point your making Mark, I switched mics a couple of months ago, and this thing isn't cheap as you would think it is (400 euro). The problem (at least, if I can call it a problem) is that the recording software I am using (camtasia) kind of responds in a different way when the signal comes in to too hot.
I have been investing in different mics for the last few months, and no matter what I try, there are always issues that people comment on (you can find a history log on that somewhere in the comments, I can't recall which video it was exactly).
Since I am doing this stuff for free I haven't really invested too much in to video editing software that much. I am not a professional video editor, and I would like to keep it that way (since everything I do is all improvised)

I personally want to balance out the spending, the workflow to make tutorials, and the time that is spend on this. I am not a business (at least not in this realm), and recording voices has always been a hard part for me (I will give it that, at least I am being honest).

Hopefully that clarifies that part ;)

User avatar
MarkTarlton
Posts: 755
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Post 28 Jan 2015

hydlide wrote:I missed your comment Mark, but let me address the issue here (since I am in to this right now),
Fair point your making Mark, I switched mics a couple of months ago, and this thing isn't cheap as you would think it is (400 euro). The problem (at least, if I can call it a problem) is that the recording software I am using (camtasia) kind of responds in a different way when the signal comes in to too hot.
I have been investing in different mics for the last few months, and no matter what I try, there are always issues that people comment on (you can find a history log on that somewhere in the comments, I can't recall which video it was exactly).
Since I am doing this stuff for free I haven't really invested too much in to video editing software that much. I am not a professional video editor, and I would like to keep it that way (since everything I do is all improvised)

I personally want to balance out the spending, the workflow to make tutorials, and the time that is spend on this. I am not a business (at least not in this realm), and recording voices has always been a hard part for me (I will give it that, at least I am being honest).

Hopefully that clarifies that part ;)
these are all very valid points and I am impressed that you are working on it to make everything as good as you can within your budget and workflow...I personally try and do the same thing within my limitations as well. I think the thing that I didn't explain very well is that now that I know you have a good mic on your side there might be a way to get a better sound without having to spend anymore money...which is always my favorite solution! I was wondering if you do any normalizing or limiting to get your gain to a desired level? If so first start with less compression/limiting cuz to my ears that is what sounds like the culprit of the distortion comes from...maybe your pre amp is clipping too? I am not really sure and am just guessing...another thing to try is to maybe speak into the mic alittle more off axis so your voice gets a little darker...less eq in the 3-8k range could maybe help...again this is just going off the top of my head. you could also try sidechaining your vocals to duck the music just a bit so you don't have to fight the volume of the music...I know you are a genius and most likely have already tried all of this but sometimes it helps to rpeat your experiments with subtle changes til you get the desired results.

I honestly didn't see there were comments about it, I typically just watch the videos from facebook so there aren't any comments in the feed. I think you are very generous with your time and knowledge so please keep coming here and posting your tutorials cuz we need more folks like you to share the wealth...I don't mind if you have criticisms...I do too!

good stuff and thanks again for responding to my reply buddy :)

User avatar
pathammy
Posts: 6
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jan 2015

elizzle wrote:I also have a question about Take.  Why the hell would I want to record a vocal sample into my crappy phone microphone when I have a 300 dollar Balance and 200 dollar Shure PG-42 at home?
I mean its cool and everything when you want to lay down an idea and you are on the run or somewhere away from your studio.
You seem to have just answered your own question! :)

Take is really cool for those situations when you are on the run away from your computer!  At least, that's my "take" on it!

elizzle
Posts: 27
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jan 2015

elizzle wrote:I also have a question about Take.  Why the hell would I want to record a vocal sample into my crappy phone microphone when I have a 300 dollar Balance and 200 dollar Shure PG-42 at home?
I mean its cool and everything when you want to lay down an idea and you are on the run or somewhere away from your studio.
pathammy wrote:
You seem to have just answered your own question! :)

Take is really cool for those situations when you are on the run away from your computer!  At least, that's my "take" on it!
 
"But, there is a sound recorder on my phone.  I won't be transering the crappy quality sample into reason.  The "idea" will just be re-recorded."

You forgot the contradicting sentence.  I guess, you better "Take two"

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.6080441 ... d=15.1&P=0




User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9762
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jan 2015

elizzle wrote:I also have a question about Take.  Why the hell would I want to record a vocal sample into my crappy phone microphone when I have a 300 dollar Balance and 200 dollar Shure PG-42 at home?
I mean its cool and everything when you want to lay down an idea and you are on the run or somewhere away from your studio.
pathammy wrote:
You seem to have just answered your own question! :)

Take is really cool for those situations when you are on the run away from your computer!  At least, that's my "take" on it!
elizzle wrote:  
"But, there is a sound recorder on my phone.  I won't be transering the crappy quality sample into reason.  The "idea" will just be re-recorded."

You forgot the contradicting sentence.  I guess, you better "Take two"
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.6080441 ... d=15.1&P=0
elizzle wrote:

But why not? It would make it easier to work with, build upon, and reference to rerecord. Unless you want to juggle your phone and computer when you get home, why not just have the ability to jump on your computer, open your take in Reason, and go from there?

elizzle
Posts: 27
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jan 2015


I never thought about it like that.  Just using it as a reference recording and then recording the same thing right over it when i get home and then delete the crappy Take recording.
 
But, most phones save all recordings from sound recorder in .mp3.  I can just load that into Reason for no extra costs.  Start building on it right away!

User avatar
ryanharlin
Reason Studios
Posts: 213
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jan 2015

elizzle wrote:But, most phones save all recordings from sound recorder in .mp3.
If someone agrees that a mobile recorder on an iPhone is a useful thing for capturing ideas then Take wins every time. It's no competition.

1.) Take is free.
2.) Take lets you record to a click so your work translates easily back to your production environment.
3.) Take doesn't record lossy audio (if that matters to you for quick-capture ideas, anyway)
4.) Take lets you load backing tracks to sing over from Figure or Reason so you can take a beat around with you for brainstorming.
5.) Take has 3 tracks for overdubbing that Apple's voice memos doesn't have.
6.) Voicememo runs a band-pass filter on the audio to make the mic more suitable for voice dictation - which it was designed for. Take accesses the full frequency range of the mic and sounds better.
7.) Take has basic effects so your sounds aren't completely dry.
8.) Take borrows Reason technology to make vocals sound better than even a basic mic recording without Voice Memo's bandpass would sound.
9.) If you like, you can share via text message, tweet, email, etc directly from Take to yourself or others.
elizzle wrote:I can just load that into Reason for no extra costs.  Start building on it right away!
The added cost when comparing Voice Memos and Take, both free apps, when it comes to loading that into Reason is the time-cost. Voice Memos you plug in your phone, lauch iTunes, sync your phone, go to where the voicememos synced, and import into Reason. Take/Reason does it with a link clicked on your browser. Speaking personally, I have a million old Voice Memos I've recorded guitar ideas onto. I've never once jumped through the hoops necessary to get them into Reason, not least of which because they wouldn't be on tempo anyway. With Take I've done it often.

So both free apps but the time cost and the enumerable benefits mentioned above make this a no-brainer for me.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9762
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jan 2015

elizzle wrote:But, most phones save all recordings from sound recorder in .mp3.
ryanharlin wrote:
If someone agrees that a mobile recorder on an iPhone is a useful thing for capturing ideas then Take wins every time. It's no competition.

1.) Take is free.
2.) Take lets you record to a click so your work translates easily back to your production environment.
3.) Take doesn't record lossy audio (if that matters to you for quick-capture ideas, anyway)
4.) Take lets you load backing tracks to sing over from Figure or Reason so you can take a beat around with you for brainstorming.
5.) Take has 3 tracks for overdubbing that Apple's voice memos doesn't have.
6.) Voicememo runs a band-pass filter on the audio to make the mic more suitable for voice dictation - which it was designed for. Take accesses the full frequency range of the mic and sounds better.
7.) Take has basic effects so your sounds aren't completely dry.
8.) Take borrows Reason technology to make vocals sound better than even a basic mic recording without Voice Memo's bandpass would sound.
9.) If you like, you can share via text message, tweet, email, etc directly from Take to yourself or others.
elizzle wrote:I can just load that into Reason for no extra costs.  Start building on it right away!
ryanharlin wrote:
The added cost when comparing Voice Memos and Take, both free apps, when it comes to loading that into Reason is the time-cost. Voice Memos you plug in your phone, lauch iTunes, sync your phone, go to where the voicememos synced, and import into Reason. Take/Reason does it with a link clicked on your browser. Speaking personally, I have a million old Voice Memos I've recorded guitar ideas onto. I've never once jumped through the hoops necessary to get them into Reason, not least of which because they wouldn't be on tempo anyway. With Take I've done it often.

So both free apps but the time cost and the enumerable benefits mentioned above make this a no-brainer for me.
Hey Ryan, thanks for outlining the pros. I have a related question... So, I understand that Take is built for use with the iPhone's built in mic. I think what I have heard sounds great (from folks making an attempt to get a decent take). But I'm curious if it supports the Zoom mics? I absolutely love my H5 (upgraded from my H4n) and have heard great things about the Zoom iQ5 and iQ6.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iQ6

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iQ5W

I typically use the SGH-6 when recording voiceovers in the field
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H6SGH6
But I still get an amazing sound when using the X/Y mics for capturing vocals.

User avatar
ryanharlin
Reason Studios
Posts: 213
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jan 2015

I'm not sure, TBH Joey. But I THINK that Take works with anything that works with an iPhone. So sure, you can use the built in mic but if you've set up another mic with your phone - be it the shitty headphone cable mic on the earbuds (not recommended), a bluetooth earpiece (again not recommended for latency reasons) or a quality interface, then Take will use that as its mic source.

Someone who's done this could maybe tell me if I'm wrong but I think that's the case. I don't have an iPhone interface so I can't test that.

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2487
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands

Post 30 Jan 2015

I think the big shift the Props are making is going from desktop computing to tablets and mobile devices. Their userbase is growing fast and because of that they started using the same model like most app companies do. Forums can be cool but most startups won't use one. They are all of Facebook and Twitter. 

Main issue probably is moderation.

I think ReasonTalk is doing a great thing here. Propellerhead simply took a new direction. Tablets and mobile devices are the future, desktops and laptops are dying.

User avatar
Iapetus 9
Posts: 177
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 30 Jan 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:I think the big shift the Props are making is going from desktop computing to tablets and mobile devices. Their userbase is growing fast and because of that they started using the same model like most app companies do. Forums can be cool but most startups won't use one. They are all of Facebook and Twitter. 

Main issue probably is moderation.

I think ReasonTalk is doing a great thing here. Propellerhead simply took a new direction. Tablets and mobile devices are the future, desktops and laptops are dying.
I disagree. The tablets get better every year, but I can't use Reason on one let alone full versions of any serious DAW...forget about FarCry 3 LOL. When this stuff finally show up on a tablet, the desktop will be just as more powerful. No, I don't think the desktop or home computer will go away any time soon. In fact, I'll suggest that all the advanced tech will always be on the more powerful home computer for the foreseeable future.
38L > 51D every time.

User avatar
Shokstar
Posts: 371
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 30 Jan 2015

:D you can record your ideas also with the Soundcloud app. so no need for the Take app! 

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2487
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands

Post 30 Jan 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:I think the big shift the Props are making is going from desktop computing to tablets and mobile devices. Their userbase is growing fast and because of that they started using the same model like most app companies do. Forums can be cool but most startups won't use one. They are all of Facebook and Twitter. 

Main issue probably is moderation.

I think ReasonTalk is doing a great thing here. Propellerhead simply took a new direction. Tablets and mobile devices are the future, desktops and laptops are dying.
Iapetus 9 wrote:
I disagree. The tablets get better every year, but I can't use Reason on one let alone full versions of any serious DAW...forget about FarCry 3 LOL. When this stuff finally show up on a tablet, the desktop will be just as more powerful. No, I don't think the desktop or home computer will go away any time soon. In fact, I'll suggest that all the advanced tech will always be on the more powerful home computer for the foreseeable future.
Matter of time. As always. Years ago nobody had thought we would all have mobile phones. Even longer before people didn't ever think real-time processing of stuff like EQ would ever be possible.

It's just a matter of CPU power. 5 years, max.

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2487
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands

Post 30 Jan 2015

Next iPad will have a large 13" screen. Sure, not anyone will be impressed. But I am 100% sure the Props are focussing on these kind of things. Tablets are the future, laptops are not.

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2487
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands

Post 30 Jan 2015

dannyF wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:Next iPad will have a large 13" screen. Sure, not anyone will be impressed. But I am 100% sure the Props are focussing on these kind of things. Tablets are the future, laptops are not.
dannyF wrote: well those two techs are already merged. So it kind of negates your point, yes?
don't understand your point. sorry, it's my average understanding of english.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7774
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 30 Jan 2015

ryanharlin wrote:I'm not sure, TBH Joey. But I THINK that Take works with anything that works with an iPhone. So sure, you can use the built in mic but if you've set up another mic with your phone - be it the shitty headphone cable mic on the earbuds (not recommended), a bluetooth earpiece (again not recommended for latency reasons) or a quality interface, then Take will use that as its mic source.

Someone who's done this could maybe tell me if I'm wrong but I think that's the case. I don't have an iPhone interface so I can't test that.
You're correct. Take (and virtually most other iOS recprding apps) will use any external mic or audio interface you plug into it and override the built-in mic.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

KEVMOVE02
Posts: 267
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 30 Jan 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:I think the big shift the Props are making is going from desktop computing to tablets and mobile devices. Their userbase is growing fast and because of that they started using the same model like most app companies do. Forums can be cool but most startups won't use one. They are all of Facebook and Twitter. 

Main issue probably is moderation.

I think ReasonTalk is doing a great thing here. Propellerhead simply took a new direction. Tablets and mobile devices are the future, desktops and laptops are dying.
It's not so much that desktops and laptops are dying, but evolving. Surface Pro 3 is a kickass hybrid that has the power to run full versions of any DAW, the flexibility of going from tablet to laptop, as needed AND can be plugged into a large format HDMI monitor. For me, its not either desktop or mobile, its desktop and mobile. Being able to capture and/or create content regardless of location is becoming a necessity. 

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9762
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 31 Jan 2015

ryanharlin wrote:I'm not sure, TBH Joey. But I THINK that Take works with anything that works with an iPhone. So sure, you can use the built in mic but if you've set up another mic with your phone - be it the shitty headphone cable mic on the earbuds (not recommended), a bluetooth earpiece (again not recommended for latency reasons) or a quality interface, then Take will use that as its mic source.

Someone who's done this could maybe tell me if I'm wrong but I think that's the case. I don't have an iPhone interface so I can't test that.
Thanks. Good to know.

User avatar
CharlyCharlzz
Posts: 906
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 31 Jan 2015

I use take all the time .......in 2025 hahaha  :t0152:


Image 
It does not die , it multiplies !

 7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: michael.jaye and 2 guests