Good video. Propellerhead criticism.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
michal22

26 Jan 2015

If it's already on the forum please tell me and I delete this thread so as not make a mess in the forum.
If you have not seen it I invite you to watch.
I totally agree with the author of the video.

LINK: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oSCJ6F3iuE
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

26 Jan 2015

I haven't finished watching the whole video but this part jumped out enough to me to comment thus far. Hydlide puts up a screen graphic and says "This is kinda like what the Reason community looks like right now. It's one fragmented mess."

But check out my color coded image... the green areas are sites that existed PRIOR to the forum closing. The red areas are sites that existed in response to the forums closing. If your complaint is "fragmentation of the Reason community," then that problem has increased by just one website. One.

Attachments
fragmented.jpg
fragmented.jpg (143.41 KiB) Viewed 3359 times

CharlyCharlzz

26 Jan 2015

yep like ryanharlin says !

I think reasonexperts did a lot of good for the community but where was them on the forum for the past years ? I had to go to there page to get the refills ...
There was so many trolls on the forum I feel better in here 4 real !
and I think what he say is a dissrespect to kids using loops and also maybe the all hiphop sampling cultur LOL

I never learned to play music so I used samples and loops at first , tryed to cut it up and paste etc.. to make it another thing and it was fun so yhea haha... not !

and what mistakes ? making money using there reason synth engines to create apps will only make more money to go into Reason developement wich mean reasonexperts will do more refills and more blabla on how cool reason is in less then a year I bet.

but yhea he made a funny video , almost bi-polar on the side but I LOL a lot watching it :s0225:    and for those who may not know the reasonexperts refill are really really good !
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

QVprod

26 Jan 2015

Funny video no doubt, but he fails to make solid points. Discover is a way of integrating PH mobile apps with Reason, it's currently in beta which means it'll continually improve and be quite useful to those of us who have those mobile apps. 

I do agree though that if you didn't know better you wouldn't realize Reason was the flagship product by going to the new PH site.

joeyluck

26 Jan 2015

"I'm not going to discuss what I think about Discover (@6:19).  But wait, no, I will go on for 12 more minutes about Discover.  Even though I don't own Reason 8.1...or Take...or Figure.  Then, I'm going to compare Discover (a collaboration service that ties products together) to Record (a product)."      

Uhhhhhhh???  

I'm standing by for somebody to make a parody video review of this video.

That would be worth watching.

Some Desperate Glory

26 Jan 2015

I recognize that voice.  A well-known Reason video-maker indeed.   :)
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

zakalwe

26 Jan 2015

i feel like it wouldn't be hard to criticise discover without even using it.  largely because there's so very little to it.

Jagwah

26 Jan 2015

Discover reminds me of the 'Jump to conclusions mat' from Office Space (1999).

:s0238: :wave:  

While it's easy to find something to pick on out of a 20 minute video, the guy makes some valid points that are commonly shared with other users.

Tre Trelos

26 Jan 2015

I think Hydlide is correct.

IMO
Props could have still done all this, but had it organized before roll out AND not made it the main focus of the company etc. At the very minimum they should have included everyone from R6 up.
It should have been the cute little puppy sideshow...not the triple gainer from 100 feet into a tub of prop beanies.

The Beta moniker is just an excuse for a lack of planning and research.
It may payoff for them financially, but I think Reason was finally getting into the big boys club as far as DAW's go, but now they have sullied themselves....cheapened themselves.

I hope they have a spare set of undies.

I see all the heavy hitters here from PUF.  It wouldn't surprise me that some of them knew what was coming down the road. I may get roasted for that comment, but it's possible.
At any rate, I appreciate this forum and those who put in the hard work to get it up and going.  I also appreciate guys like Hydlide who indeed have a kick ass website.

What did Ringo say?  Oh yeah, Peace and Love.  :-)

MarkTarlton

26 Jan 2015

one thing that has nothing to do with the video content that has been bugging me about ed's videos is the limiting on em... it's distorting to where the narration is hard for me to listen and stay focused cuz all I can do is listen to the quality of the audio. It's been going on for a few at this point. It might be a cheap mic to begin with and than once it's cranked up with a brickwall type setting it really makes it sound rough...I mean no disrespect cuz I enjoy his stuff and think he does a good job helping a lot of folks who are new to Reason..if you're reading this hyd you know I have mad respect and love for ya!

JNeffLind

26 Jan 2015

michal22 wrote:If it's already on the forum please tell me and I delete this thread so as not make a mess in the forum.
If you have not seen it I invite you to watch.
I totally agree with the author of the video.

LINK: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oSCJ6F3iuE
"And the cool thing with discover is that it sucks balls." I Lol'd. Rewatched to get the wording exactly right to quote it and lol'd again. All hail Hydlide!

joeyluck

26 Jan 2015

Discover is a new service of Propellerhead.  It ties the products together.  
It's the main focus on the website right now because it is new.  If you click on 'Products,' Reason is listed first.  
Also if you're familiar with the Propellerhead's website in the past, that cover image/video will change to showcase other products.  So, don't act like what you see is etched in stone.  And if you play that Discover video now, you'll see Reason...

I created another thread for this video where Gerry Bassermann, Director of North American Markets is interviewed about Reason and Discover.  But I'll post it here in case you didn't see it...  Listen to him drive the point towards Reason.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h698oaf0-s<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h698oaf0-s

Discover can't deter customers from Reason, because it includes Reason.  It will also help to get more users to Reason from Take and Figure.  I believe offering Take and Discover for free strongly suggests that that is the strategy.  Discover is the main focus on the website right now because it is new and they want people to know about it.

Calling any offering by Propellerhead stupid just because you don't feel it caters to you directly is very rude.  Please submit any suggestions you may have to them in a calm and constructive manner.  Otherwise, what's the point?

Tre Trelos

26 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote:Discover is a new service of Propellerhead.  It ties the products together.  
It's the main focus on the website right now because it is new.  If you click on 'Products,' Reason is listed first.  
Also if you're familiar with the Propellerhead's website in the past, that cover image/video will change to showcase other products.  So, don't act like what you see is etched in stone.  And if you play that Discover video now, you'll see Reason...

I created another thread for this video where Gerry Bassermann, Director of North American Markets is interviewed about Reason and Discover.  But I'll post it here in case you didn't see it...  Listen to him drive the point towards Reason.

Discover can't deter customers from Reason, because it includes Reason.  It will also help to get more users to Reason from Take and Figure.  I believe offering Take and Discover for free strongly suggests that that is the strategy.  Discover is the main focus on the website right now because it is new and they want people to know about it.

Calling any offering by Propellerhead stupid just because you don't feel it caters to you directly is very rude.  Please submit any suggestions you may have to them in a calm and constructive manner.  Otherwise, what's the point?

Lets say 50% of Reason users run v7 or below. Props rolls out an ACME widget that alienates a lot of people.  Then...their apps are for Apple and they exclude the Android platform...so they alienate another large group of people, then they Nuke PUF, the heart and soul of the Reason community.

"Calling any offering by Propellerhead stupid just because you don't feel it caters to you directly is very rude"

Given what I've just pointed out, I don't think "caters to you directly" would be the correct wording.  Props has layed waste a large swath of users and I can understand why people are not happy about it, myself included.

The website is a joke, the copyright issue is a big deal. Nothing is explained clearly.
I had to do some poking around until I realized that none of this stuff would even pertain to me...just call me -8.

It's good to be able to have a little gripe session, blow off some steam and either roll with the punches or just move on to another DAW.  Either way life moves on.

Iapetus 9

26 Jan 2015

One of the very few Hydlide vids I haven't watched all the way through. Just a vent...just an exasperated sigh with swears. Big deal. Still had more laughs and class than the PUF at the end. YMMV.
38L > 51D every time.

joeyluck

26 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote:Discover is a new service of Propellerhead.  It ties the products together.  

Tre Trelos wrote:

Lets say 50% of Reason users run v7 or below. Props rolls out an ACME widget that alienates a lot of people.  Then...their apps are for Apple and they exclude the Android platform...so they alienate another large group of people, then they Nuke PUF, the heart and soul of the Reason community.

"Calling any offering by Propellerhead stupid just because you don't feel it caters to you directly is very rude"

Given what I've just pointed out, I don't think "caters to you directly" would be the correct wording.  Props has layed waste a large swath of users and I can understand why people are not happy about it, myself included.

The website is a joke, the copyright issue is a big deal. Nothing is explained clearly.
I had to do some poking around until I realized that none of this stuff would even pertain to me...just call me -8.

It's good to be able to have a little gripe session, blow off some steam and either roll with the punches or just move on to another DAW.  Either way life moves on.

I'm on Reason 7 and Android ;)
So I would be in that crowd...  And I'm not freaking out.  

But I thought these apps and Discover sucked anyways? Yet it should be available to us all?

When folks say that, is that really disapproval of the products or just jealousy of not being able to partake in the new service?  I've seen these mixed messages all over the place. It's similar to when Reason 8 was released and how some users said it sucked...but oh, they certainly went on to say that it should be a free upgrade.  What?  It's so confusing...

I don't know many big names in audio on Android at the moment.  And the apps I do like, won't run on my Nexus 4...  I'm hopeful that Propellerhead releases the apps on Android, but I'm not holding that against Propellerhead if they don't.  
Others would chime in that Propellerhead entering the Android market would be 'stupid' and they should just abandon mobile apps.  Where would it stop?

Everyone starts chiming in critiquing business strategy of a very successful company.  If those users can do better—they should.  But of course, we know they aren't.  Making suggestions is always expected and appreciated.  I make suggestions to them often.  But it's not like this.  This achieves nothing.

Jagwah

26 Jan 2015

While I tend to disagree with most of your posts on these issues because you seem to be in an almost biased state of positive feelings about everything Propellerhead, I do quite like your hat.

FrankJaeger

26 Jan 2015

4:52 "And the cool thing with Discover, is that it sucks balls"  :s0238: :s0225: :s0238:
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

joeyluck

26 Jan 2015

Jagwah wrote: While I tend to disagree with most of your posts on these issues because you seem to be in an almost biased state of positive feelings about everything Propellerhead, I do quite like your hat.
Haha.  You should get one!  I got mine from Thinkgeek: 
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ec45/?srp=15 (currently out of stock there though).

EnochLight

26 Jan 2015

I think Hydlide does a great job at offering tips and tutorials in Reason, but the video above is a terrible example of what he does.  As a "Reason Expert", he should be embracing the latest version and all of it's features.  Instead, he spends 18+ minutes largely critiquing a version he isn't using and a service he doesn't understand.  Oh and, his presentation is unprofessional.  It's lowbrow humorous, but unprofessional.  

I expect more from him, and look forward to future tutorials and videos, but I'm not sure what he is expecting from that bit or trying to accomplish.

Clicks?  Perhaps.  
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

FrankJaeger

27 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote:I think Hydlide does a great job at offering tips and tutorials in Reason, but the video above is a terrible example of what he does.  As a "Reason Expert", he should be embracing the latest version and all of it's features.
So if he thinks its a piece of shite, he's supposed to just embrace and go along with it becaaaaaause???

No offense but I think you and joeyluck might be getting kickbacks from Propellerhead.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

EnochLight

27 Jan 2015

FrankJaeger wrote:No offense but I think you and joeyluck might be getting kickbacks from Propellerhead.
I wish.

No, it's just my opinion.  He runs a website called "Reason Experts", offers video tutorials, but instead of learning the latest version and all of it's features, he slams it in one of the most unprofessional videos I've ever seen.  

I get that he doesn't like the latest version or get Discover, but his approach runs contrary to the "business" he is running.  Doesn't make sense, IMHO.  

You don't have to agree with me, but to suggest things like you did above is just baseless.

From his website:
About the Author

Hydlide is the author of many articles and owner of Reasonexperts.com. My goal and mission is to provide a wide range of different reason tutorials to keep people productive and giving out creative ideas.

* Except for the latest version of Reason.  It sucks balls and therefore all of the users can look elsewhere for productive tutorials.   :roll:

I mean, seriously?  

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

dreampolice

27 Jan 2015

I don't understand what's not to like about discover? It's fantastic!

joeyluck

27 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote:I think Hydlide does a great job at offering tips and tutorials in Reason, but the video above is a terrible example of what he does.  As a "Reason Expert", he should be embracing the latest version and all of it's features.
FrankJaeger wrote:
So if he thinks its a piece of shite, he's supposed to just embrace and go along with it becaaaaaause???

No offense but I think you and joeyluck might be getting kickbacks from Propellerhead.
When there's something in which I feel there is room for improvement, I send them a thoughtful suggestion in a professional manner.  

Acting this way is like being a part of a political party whose candidate didn't win the presidency... Yet instead of offering suggestions and trying to help, they just complain and whine in the background; rooting for failure so they can say that they were right and their candidate should have been elected. 

Just a few days ago when the shop page was updated, I thought that the logo was overlooked and could be better (it ended up being that my browser, Chrome had cached the old one).  I didn't know that at the time.  I sent them a message saying how I think it could be improved and I even included for them several images I created in case they didn't have time to get to it or just wanted to use them.  

I realized my error when I had loaded the page on another computer.  Whoops.  Aside from me making that silly mistake, I took steps to voice my opinion, and offer a suggestion in an appropriate manner to see that it had the best opportunity of being addressed.  I have never had an issue with folks voicing opinions.  But you'll see a stark difference between the feature suggestions forum and stuff like this.  Again, this accomplishes nothing.  

Last Alternative

27 Jan 2015

Question- Is Hydlide Peff? It's been a mystery to me exactly who Peff is for years. Not much online really.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

• Information