Reason 8 New Techniques

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
jfrichards

24 Jan 2015

Hello fellow Reason 8 users.  I'm starting this thread with the hope of having a place to collect elaborations on the new techniques in Reason 8, the ones that are different from Reason 7, like Drag and Drop, browser setup and management, transferring from Line6 to Softube amps, possible uses of Drop to Discover, issues with using R8 and R7, setting up big but efficient sample folders, etc.  Please be mindful to not bring up stuff that's in R7, and to not make disparaging remarks about R8, there are other places for that.  Now that R8 is being used by 40% of us, I'm sure we users would appreciate any help.  Feel free to go as detailed as you can, post video and tutorial links, and ask any questions.

jfrichards

24 Jan 2015

The Location List in the browser is an extreme time saver for me.  When I create a combinator or patch that I use a lot, like my double grand piano or Kuassa Fender Princeton, I drag it from the browser list to the left into the Location List.  From then on, it shows up in that list on the left in all projects.  I put my Apple Loops for GarageBand folder there too, so now I can instantly access thousands of Logic CAF loops to drag into Kong or samplers or an audio track.  Here's an example of doing all that in a couple of minutes.

http://www.phead.mu/s/c8j9azgs

MarkTarlton

24 Jan 2015

jfrichards wrote:The Location List in the browser is an extreme time saver for me.  When I create a combinator or patch that I use a lot, like my double grand piano or Kuassa Fender Princeton, I drag it from the browser list to the left into the Location List.  From then on, it shows up in that list on the left in all projects.  I put my Apple Loops for GarageBand folder there too, so now I can instantly access thousands of Logic CAF loops to drag into Kong or samplers or an audio track.  Here's an example of doing all that in a couple of minutes.

http://www.phead.mu/s/c8j9azgs
I might be missing something here but you have been able to do this for years right?? Not just R8?

jfrichards

24 Jan 2015

I don't remember R7 too well, you tell me.

edit: Oops, just looked in the R7 manual and what do you know, there it is.  I never even knew that, just used the browser for patch surfing.  Guess it's good for me that R8 keeps the browser open all the time...

Pepin

25 Jan 2015

Since I'm on a laptop, I usually keep the browser sidebar collapsed to conserve screen real estate.

One thing I've found useful is customizing the icons for my patch folders so they remain identifiable in the collapsed sidebar:
Image  ----------------> Image 
Attachments
open.png
open.png (167.77 KiB) Viewed 2086 times

jfrichards

25 Jan 2015

Pepin wrote:Since I'm on a laptop, I usually keep the browser sidebar collapsed to conserve screen real estate.  One thing I've found useful is customizing the icons for my patch folders so they remain identifiable in the collapsed sidebar... 
Very cool idea, how would I make icons?  I have Pixelmator, which is like Photoshop.  I'd like to have an M for Malstom, T for Thor, K for Kong, etc.

edit: Never mind, just read a little tutorial on it.  Wow, so easy, just copy and paste any little picture onto the folder icon in Get Info.

CharlyCharlzz

25 Jan 2015

Pepin wrote:Since I'm on a laptop, I usually keep the browser sidebar collapsed to conserve screen real estate.

One thing I've found useful is customizing the icons for my patch folders so they remain identifiable in the collapsed sidebar:

these squares are strange looking , what do they mean with these colors or did you made those ?

It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

East Island

25 Jan 2015

It's working and it's handy. thanks a lot. 
A Controle Freak. Loves Logic&Reason&Luna ;) , remote controllers.
https://soundcloud.com/east-island

tiker01

26 Jan 2015

Pepin wrote:Since I'm on a laptop, I usually keep the browser sidebar collapsed to conserve screen real estate.

Props should have provide some custom icons and especially not drop the support of the custom refill icons!!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Pepin

26 Jan 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote: these squares are strange looking , what do they mean with these colors or did you made those ?
They're the colors of the devices. I used ColorSnapper to get the RGB values.

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2015

Pepin wrote:
They're the colors of the devices. I used ColorSnapper to get the RGB values.
You've done a fantastic job, I can look at the icons and see which device they relate to!

Janvier

01 Feb 2015

How do you make the icon appear in the browser ? You only put the icon in the folder and thats it, reason will use the icon!?

jfrichards

01 Feb 2015

Janvier wrote:How do you make the icon appear in the browser ? You only put the icon in the folder and thats it, reason will use the icon!?
Yep, after you change the icon for a file or folder, Reason will use it.

eusti

01 Feb 2015

Very cool idea! Those colored icons wouldn't do anything for me, but gets me thinking! Might do something along those lines when I upgrade! Thanks!

D.

jfrichards

01 Feb 2015

I'm making a set like these.  PE = Public Enemy for my favorite Hank Shocklee things.  Ku = Kuassa

Attachments
iconz.jpg
iconz.jpg (20.29 KiB) Viewed 1936 times

eusti

01 Feb 2015

jfrichards wrote:I'm making a set like these.  PE = Public Enemy for my favorite Hank Shocklee things.  Ku = Kuassa

Yup! Something along those lines would work better for me... For some reason (although I work in the visual field) the earlier color samples do not resonate with me... But love the idea to customize the folder icons!!!

D.

• Information