Halo Jumping Jupiter

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Benedict
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2015

Hi

On the final leg of preparing my next album to meet the world. This is one of the earlier tracks written and shows the balance of upbeat, melodic and atmospheric sounds of the record. This is 100% Reason.

Imagine if you were to freefall into Jupiter's thick atmosphere. Heartbeat pounding in your throat as you start and then accepting the feeling and learning to fly in that environment.

Hope you like and comments welcome

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

offaxisdaddy

24 Jan 2015

Wow Benedict, this is gorgeous! Are you using the stock synths or RE's (Antidote, perhaps?) / external gear. That bass is very rich and soothing....  :thumbup:

Benedict
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2015

Hi Mr Daddy

Thanks, "gorgeous" was the sound I was working towards so I am delighted to hear you use that word.

I mostly use Thor and Sub but there are a couple of REs in here. I had to look to be sure so I took a screenshot which also lets you see the composition. 

The Bass is actually Thor + M-Class Comp. I prefer Thor in many instances. I find it harder to get the magic with Antidote but it does deliver some esp in the lead string as it echos the "guitar" at about 3:20.

Attachments
Halo_Jumping_Jupiter_Seq.JPG
Halo_Jumping_Jupiter_Seq.JPG (183.66 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
Benedict Roff-Marsh

offaxisdaddy

24 Jan 2015

Very well executed! I wouldn't have suspected thor - when I try to (avoiding presets) get that deep bass out of thor I always end up filtering all of the gain out of it :frown:

I'm going to take some time to re-explore thor - I got caught up in GAS when RE's hit the shop and have (shamefully) neglected the stock synths since. A practice you've inspired me to rethink. 

Benedict
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2015

I have always gotten the deepest basses from Thor. Trick is to keep it simple and let it speak. Also with Thor either don't use Reso or drive the filter. The PD OSC can also deliver spades of welly with no filter at all.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Benedict
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2015

Now with added YouTube

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Heater

24 Jan 2015

Very Juno pad sound at the start there Benedict.  What did you use for the chorus on the Thor?

Very nice track by the way.   :)

Scoobyman II

24 Jan 2015

I really like the lead that comes in at 2.52. Beautiful stuff.

Benedict
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2015

Thanks

The Main Pad is Thor and only on-board Chorus + Delay. The only external Chorus used is on the Choir at the end which is an ensemble Combi I made out of 4xCF-101 + 3xDDL-1. The ARP has an instance of The Echo.

There isn't any Bus Reverb in the whole track. Seems odd looking back esp with the big sound. Proves there ain't no formulas.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Heater

24 Jan 2015

Benedict wrote:Thanks

The Main Pad is Thor and only on-board Chorus + Delay. The only external Chorus used is on the Choir at the end which is an ensemble Combi I made out of 4xCF-101 + 3xDDL-1. The ARP has an instance of The Echo.

There isn't any Bus Reverb in the whole track. Seems odd looking back esp with the big sound. Proves there ain't no formulas.

I thought it would be Thor and it's built in chorus + delay.  I've spent loads of hours trying to recreate the classic Juno 60/106 sound and I ended up using stock Thor and it's built in chorus.

Thor is seriously underrated.  A superb synth but it takes a bit of work to make it really shine.  The filter on it is also superb but I think folks drive it too hard.  You have to knock back the drive for it to really start singing.

Thanks.

Benedict
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2015

Hi

Thanks. I really like that lead but I have to admit it is more the notes than the sound. Learning notes has helped incredibly.

Thor is a very well named as Polysonic as it can cover a huge amount of ground. I think it is one of the best all-rounder synths ever. Because of its versatility it is easy to get stuck in a groove and think it dull. Emulating other sounds can be a good way to learn to do different things. The trick is to find out what you can about the original sound and instrument and create the closest architecture in Thor. I will use YouTube vids, REs or even other instruments in VST that do things I didn't think Thor could do and then I learn to do it. Same knobs, different positions.

A lot of the Juno sound is due to the single OSC teamed with the Chorus pair which depend on one LFO for both with a phase offset for Chorus II. This is hard to do in native Reason devices but with some ingenuity it can be close. With some REs it can be closer. Subtractor is good for Juno/Jupiter too as the Filter is gain compensated.

This pair of articles may be of interest if you didn't see them already. Part 2 gives a simple Thor trick.

http://www.reasontalk.com/post/anatomy- ... ng-7255029

Benedict Roff-Marsh

darkmode

24 Jan 2015

Great track. Fits your description perfectly :-)

jappe

25 Jan 2015

Benedict wrote:Hi

On the final leg of preparing my next album to meet the world. This is one of the earlier tracks written and shows the balance of upbeat, melodic and atmospheric sounds of the record. This is 100% Reason.

Imagine if you were to freefall into Jupiter's thick atmosphere. Heartbeat pounding in your throat as you start and then accepting the feeling and learning to fly in that environment.

Hope you like and comments welcome

Very beautiful:-)
The kind of music I expect to hear when I play Eve. Perhaps ask them if they are interested?

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2015

Thanks

I'd be interested to do games (prefer movies) but everyone seems to want "orchestral" in their rendered content these days. Me I like the synthetic sound with the synthetic look but orch samples do sound more grand.

Besides how do you even find someone to talk to in a company like that? I feel like I need to know someone to introduce me before I'd even get through the door.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information