DM-999 Drum Machine in the works (now in the shop)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Re8et
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2024

The sequencer is not a sequencer...

Solo/Mute instead of a sequencer is a bald choice to make...

I'd suggest a couple of upgrades, at least to make it palpable to a wider audience ( me included)
I have the Tr-09 and I feel this RE should bring some value to the table...

1: Add some of the TR-09 sound options like three three types of Distortion for the Kick sound.
2: Develop a Re-drum like sequencer and get rid of those solo/mutes the way they are now.
3: Value to the table - I.e. tons of ready to go patterns that goes with the sequencer*

*Prodigy has quite a big catalogue of 909 loops...

Cheeeeers. :puf_bigsmile:

ekss
RE Developer

17 Sep 2024

Re8et wrote:
17 Sep 2024
The sequencer is not a sequencer...

Solo/Mute instead of a sequencer is a bald choice to make...

I'd suggest a couple of upgrades, at least to make it palpable to a wider audience ( me included)
I have the Tr-09 and I feel this RE should bring some value to the table...

1: Add some of the TR-09 sound options like three three types of Distortion for the Kick sound.
2: Develop a Re-drum like sequencer and get rid of those solo/mutes the way they are now.
3: Value to the table - I.e. tons of ready to go patterns that goes with the sequencer*

*Prodigy has quite a big catalogue of 909 loops...

Cheeeeers. :puf_bigsmile:

Sorry to say but I don't have the knowledge to make such a sequencer yet – maybe in the future, but for now it's best programmed in the native sequencer, with a player or with gates from any device of choice.

Adding dist models to the kick is a good idea, I'll probably look into this in the first update!

My focus on the release was to get close enough with the emulation and open up the sound design possibilities with the additional control given with the MOD section.

Steedus
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2024

Yeah honestly I usually just attach a Redrum and hook up the CV gates. I think there's a small drum sequencer RE out there which I should probably look into, but ehh this works.

edit: this is the mini drum seq I was thinking of. Never used it though
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack-extension/mdsq/

StephenHutchinson

17 Sep 2024

I've tried it with mDSQ, Kompulsion, Pattern Mutator, and Aggregate Music System, with varying degrees of success. So far, I think mDSQ is my favourite with the DM-999.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

dioxide

18 Sep 2024

The distortion / overdrive sounds good. Is this available in any of your other effects REs?

ekss
RE Developer

18 Sep 2024

dioxide wrote:
18 Sep 2024
The distortion / overdrive sounds good. Is this available in any of your other effects REs?
It's a transistor type of distortion, it uses the same wave shaper that can be found in the Saturation section of SADIST. I think the same shaper is used on the input stages of a few of my effect devices. The character is mainly effected by filtering and levels in combination with the shaper and what's next in the audio parh, so they might not sound exactly the same but similar.

dioxide

18 Sep 2024

ekss wrote:
18 Sep 2024
dioxide wrote:
18 Sep 2024
It's a transistor type of distortion, it uses the same wave shaper that can be found in the Saturation section of SADIST. I think the same shaper is used on the input stages of a few of my effect devices. The character is mainly effected by filtering and levels in combination with the shaper and what's next in the audio parh, so they might not sound exactly the same but similar.
Thanks, I will have to give SADIST a demo as well.

Mattvank

20 Sep 2024

I just compare it to the Jackbox and like the approach of both. Just 909 and the going deeper 909 from Ekks.
I can´t reproduce the Init Kick from JB. Maybe it´s a kind of layered kicks . Anyway. THX for an another 909 :)

Steedus
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2024

I kinda wish I could tune the kick more than is currently available. I had a track and made the kick kinda like an 808 (long decay and deep) but with the tune all the way down it was still just a tad bit too sharp.

Probably not intended for that -- but oh well. :redface:

ekss
RE Developer

20 Sep 2024

Steedus wrote:
20 Sep 2024
I kinda wish I could tune the kick more than is currently available. I had a track and made the kick kinda like an 808 (long decay and deep) but with the tune all the way down it was still just a tad bit too sharp.

You can play it chromatically below C1 for lower pitch!

Steedus
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2024

ekss wrote:
20 Sep 2024
Steedus wrote:
20 Sep 2024

You can play it chromatically below C1 for lower pitch!
Ohh right. I saw you mentioned that earlier, but I forgot to try it! Will try this weekend :thumbup:

Mataya

20 Sep 2024

Bought it. Not for the 909, but for all the sounds in between. Thanks.

dvdrtldg

22 Sep 2024

I didn't think I was really in the market for this, but holy shit it's good. I can get a crisp, fat snare sound out of this with a few seconds' tweaking that I've been trying to nail for ages (and can't easily get from other 909 emulations like Kings of Kong). Layers beautifully with the Ekss 606 machine too

ekss
RE Developer

Yesterday

Mataya wrote:
20 Sep 2024
Bought it. Not for the 909, but for all the sounds in between. Thanks.
dvdrtldg wrote:
22 Sep 2024
I didn't think I was really in the market for this, but holy shit it's good. I can get a crisp, fat snare sound out of this with a few seconds' tweaking that I've been trying to nail for ages (and can't easily get from other 909 emulations like Kings of Kong). Layers beautifully with the Ekss 606 machine too
Thanks so much, guys!

I'm really glad you're finding those sweet spots in the DM-999. Going the synthesis route felt like the right move for this exact reason—it's not just about recreating the classic sounds but giving you the flexibility to explore beyond them. Like Mataya mentioned, it's that in-between space where things really get interesting. The fact that you can dial it in exactly to your taste (and maybe even go further!) is what I hoped would make it stand out.

Appreciate the feedback, it means a lot!

Steedus
Competition Winner

Yesterday

Yeah absolutely this turned out way better than my initial expectation when the idea was brought up. I wasn't too excited. Sure it would surely bring along some classic Ekss drive/saturation flavour but I wasn't expecting much more.

I don't even use classic 909 / 808 / 303 sounds in my music really, but the DR-999 has enough 'tweak-ability' that I find it quite useful. And now that I have it, I'm sure more 'classic' 909 sounds will get used too.

I love the extra stuff on the back like the Random setting and the noise - along with the drive.

All round it's a top class instrument. :clap:

madmacman

Today

dvdrtldg wrote:
22 Sep 2024
(and can't easily get from other 909 emulations like Kings of Kong)
To be fair, calling “Kings of Kong” an emulation would be a stretch. It's a bunch of samples taken from classic drum machines, with limited editing options (as far as samples go). So either the samples fit your sonic needs or they don't. DM-999, on the other hand, synthesizes the sounds and offers far more possibilities for sound design.

dvdrtldg

Today

madmacman wrote:
Today
dvdrtldg wrote:
22 Sep 2024
(and can't easily get from other 909 emulations like Kings of Kong)
To be fair, calling “Kings of Kong” an emulation would be a stretch. It's a bunch of samples taken from classic drum machines, with limited editing options (as far as samples go). So either the samples fit your sonic needs or they don't. DM-999, on the other hand, synthesizes the sounds and offers far more possibilities for sound design.
Point taken - no shade on Kings of Kong, which is a great refill and I use it a lot. And I often re-route the Kong pads out to their own channels and tweak them there with various FX, which offers a lot more flexibility. So perhaps it's not a fair comparison

Steedus
Competition Winner

Today

Also, i honestly completely forgot about RS Drum Sequencer player .. using that! :redface:

Steedus wrote:
17 Sep 2024
Yeah honestly I usually just attach a Redrum and hook up the CV gates. I think there's a small drum sequencer RE out there which I should probably look into, but ehh this works.

edit: this is the mini drum seq I was thinking of. Never used it though
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack-extension/mdsq/

• Information