Getting 2 MIDI keyboards in tune with each other

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
bluzdogs

29 Aug 2024

Hi I'm just getting started with digital music production so please be gentle LOL

I have two MIDI pianos that I cannot get in tune with each other. One is an M Audio Oxygen 49 and the other is a Nektar Impact 88+.

Both are routed thru Reason 13 for monitoring and each is using a separate instance of ID8 (I think). I'm away from my desktop and my memory ain't what it used to be.

Both are connected to the PC via USB 3.0. Supposedly the Oxygen can transpose half steps while the Impact only transposes full step. I used the Oxygen instructions to attempt half steps but that did not work. Suffice it to say I'm not having any luck.

In lieu of a simple solution (if there is such a thing) is there an app or device that can be used for this or is there an adjustment in the DAW?

Thanks for any advice you can share!

PhillipOrdonez

29 Aug 2024

I am not even sure I understand your question. Do you mean you hit a C in one keyboard and the same C in the other and neither plays an actual C but a different note? Why did you mess them up I’m sure they were working well the day you plugged them in, I don’t understand anything about this, I’m very dumb, so please go through excruciating detail here cause none of this makes any sense 😂

huggermugger

29 Aug 2024

First thing to do is make sure both keyboards are set to transpose "0". Zero transposition on both keyboards.

Second thing to do is jiggle the pitch benders on both keyboards in case one of them is sticky and putting its corresponding ID8 out of tune.

Bes
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2024

- Certified Reason expert

Despondo
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2024

You might try factory resetting both controllers to see if that fixes them.

bluzdogs

30 Aug 2024

huggermugger wrote:
29 Aug 2024
First thing to do is make sure both keyboards are set to transpose "0". Zero transposition on both keyboards.

Second thing to do is jiggle the pitch benders on both keyboards in case one of them is sticky and putting its corresponding ID8 out of tune.
Thanks for the advice. I did try resetting both keyboards actually before my OP. That helped a little but C on the Oxygen is still C# on the Nektar. I don't think the transpose buttons or other buttons are sticking or not making contacts because I see a response on the displays when I press them. Same with the pitch wheels. I haven't been able to get to my "studio" yet today but as soon as I do I'll make sure both of them are set to transposition 0.

When I first bought these instruments I think I had just bought Reason 12 (or maybe 11?) and I know that I was doing then what I'm trying to do now because my wife loved what I was playing. I had the Nektar with electric piano and the Oxygen with electric guitar.

But I pretty much lost the use of my hands for a few years recovering from multiple surgeries on my wrists and backs of my hands.

Anyway, thank you very much for the tips! I'll post back the results. Hope you have a great holiday weekend! Happy Labor Day!!

bluzdogs

02 Sep 2024

Well, I'm a moron. I forgot my own axiom for when things just won't fix no matter what you try. "When all else fails, reboot"..

Nothing was working so in exasperation I started a new project. I don't have perfect pitch but I "remember" tone and pitch. I pressed C on the Oxygen and thought "wow that sounds familiar". So I pressed C on the Nektar and damn if it wasn't the same. D'oh

Thanks again for the help!

selig
RE Developer

03 Sep 2024

bluzdogs wrote:
29 Aug 2024
Both are connected to the PC via USB 3.0. Supposedly the Oxygen can transpose half steps while the Impact only transposes full step.
Glad you got it sorted, but one clarification:
Impact user guide says transpose is ±12 SEMITONES, not whole tones as you suggest…
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information