Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
PhillipOrdonez

25 May 2024

Pepin wrote:
25 May 2024
chimp_spanner wrote:
25 May 2024
Which version was this?! I have like zero memory of this happening. How strange.
Reason 7 and earlier. The current browser with drag-and-drop was the biggest selling point of Reason 8.
Funny, reason 8 was sold as an update focused on workflow

That version also brought sequencer updates

Steedus
Competition Winner

25 May 2024

Careful we're not allowed to discuss the beta here. Keep it to the beta forums.

Threpus

25 May 2024

luckygreen wrote:
25 May 2024
The year is 2032 anno domini .. Reason Studios announces Reason 17 .. this upgrade focuses entierly on workflow enhancements. Except for the 50th virtual analogue synth. It's called Megatone. It sounds mega! You'll love it. Because everyone loves rack extensions.

Here are the big news.

(1) The browser now features favourite folders that can even hold devices. To top it off, we got rid of the floating browser window that everyone hates and integrated the browser as an additional tab to the left side device palette.

(2) To make more room for new editing functions we moved the tools area of the edit panel to a new floating "tools window". Simply press F8 and you have all tools directly in front of you.

(3) Have you ever thought, "Man, that bright white Reason theme hurts my eyes" or "Dude, I wish that dark theme was less contrasty. It hurts my eyes."?

With the upgrade to Reason 17 we revolutionize the way mankind thinks about ergonomics. Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seatbetls. We spared no expenses, hired the world's leading coding experts directly from Apple and Google! Reason Studios prodly presents: Blue! Yes, you heard that right! Reason now features a blue theme. Not too bright, not to dark. 8 years in the making! You would not believe how much work we put into it!

That is USD 999,99 please. We know, you might consider it expensive but the remaining 200 users need to share the development cost and on top pay the private equity company and shareholders. Thank you very much.
There is more truth in this than some of the diehard users care to admit. And although I understand that the program is far more powerful than it used to be, the question isn’t whether Reason has improved- the question is what is the best DAW for my purposes? I think that aside from the sunk costs of rack extensions and the annoyance of learning a new program, it’s getting harder and harder to justify sticking it out with Reason- let alone upgrading. The only thing that stands in my way is laziness. Your mileage may vary.
Last edited by Threpus on 25 May 2024, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

25 May 2024

Hey everybody, just a friendly reminder that you cannot discuss the beta here. Posts have been removed.

In the beta area where you download the beta, it also makes it very clear to not share any info about the beta outside of the beta forum.

supersmarter

25 May 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
25 May 2024

Funny, reason 8 was sold as an update focused on workflow

That version also brought sequencer updates

I always found that video and that specific music one of the most awesome pieces ever! Even after the fact that this type of music isn't my cup of tea - but this video makes me want to make such music.

Love it.

motuscott

25 May 2024

Finally tossed my Reason and Record boxes but I still have the Reason credit card thingy that came with earlier versions. Wonder if I can put my Reason13 update on it?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

EnochLight

25 May 2024

jaeproduced wrote:
24 May 2024
So this detached browser isn't new Reason Studios did this before and it didn't pan out so great so I guess lets try it again and see if it works this time around is the general idea.
Didn't turn out so great? That's not really a fair assessment though, is it? The pre-Reason 8 browser was a locked modal window that barred you from interacting with Reason when it was open. The new Reason 13 browser is not likethat at all.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

moneykube

25 May 2024

luckygreen wrote:
25 May 2024
The year is 2032 anno domini .. Reason Studios announces Reason 17 .. this upgrade focuses entierly on workflow enhancements. Except for the 50th virtual analogue synth. It's called Megatone. It sounds mega! You'll love it. Because everyone loves rack extensions.

Here are the big news.

(1) The browser now features favourite folders that can even hold devices. To top it off, we got rid of the floating browser window that everyone hates and integrated the browser as an additional tab to the left side device palette.

(2) To make more room for new editing functions we moved the tools area of the edit panel to a new floating "tools window". Simply press F8 and you have all tools directly in front of you.

(3) Have you ever thought, "Man, that bright white Reason theme hurts my eyes" or "Dude, I wish that dark theme was less contrasty. It hurts my eyes."?

With the upgrade to Reason 17 we revolutionize the way mankind thinks about ergonomics. Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seatbetls. We spared no expenses, hired the world's leading coding experts directly from Apple and Google! Reason Studios prodly presents: Blue! Yes, you heard that right! Reason now features a blue theme. Not too bright, not to dark. 8 years in the making! You would not believe how much work we put into it!

That is USD 999,99 please. We know, you might consider it expensive but the remaining 200 users need to share the development cost and on top pay the private equity company and shareholders. Thank you very much.
:lol: nearly spit up my coffee :puf_wink: :puf_smile: :clap:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

jaeproduced

26 May 2024

EnochLight wrote:
25 May 2024
jaeproduced wrote:
24 May 2024
So this detached browser isn't new Reason Studios did this before and it didn't pan out so great so I guess lets try it again and see if it works this time around is the general idea.
Didn't turn out so great? That's not really a fair assessment though, is it? The pre-Reason 8 browser was a locked modal window that barred you from interacting with Reason when it was open. The new Reason 13 browser is not likethat at all.
Well they took it away instead of building off of it so yeah it didn't turn out so great at the time. It's back now super charged so hopefully it will continue to get better but it's No Way perfect.

joeyluck

26 May 2024

It's interesting seeing responses to any Reason release when it comes to devices. I've been browsing outside of here as well...

There's of course a group of people who say they don't need more devices and then some people saying they wish the devices were available separately because they just want the devices. I remember the same thing with R12 and Mimic in particular. Then you have people who complain that certain devices aren't included with Reason and some of those saying all devices should be included in Reason. You can't really win I guess lol

wendylou

26 May 2024

joeyluck wrote:
26 May 2024
It's interesting seeing responses to any Reason release [... ...] You can't really win I guess lol
How true, and pretty much the same story ever since the first Forum Romanum around 500 BCE :lol:
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

joeyluck

26 May 2024

wendylou wrote:
26 May 2024
joeyluck wrote:
26 May 2024
It's interesting seeing responses to any Reason release [... ...] You can't really win I guess lol
How true, and pretty much the same story ever since the first Forum Romanum around 500 BCE :lol:
:lol:

I remember back when new devices was the thing people cared most and how many we were getting...

Loque

26 May 2024

joeyluck wrote:
26 May 2024
wendylou wrote:
26 May 2024

:lol:

I remember back when new devices was the thing people cared most and how many we were getting...

Was it R10 with the sloag "mooaar" or something....nobody wanted moooaaar back than. Most wanted Seqeuncer and UI updates. Guess now with R13 we have it...
Reason12, Win10

Calazzus

26 May 2024

Does anyone know if reason will ever incorporate multi-timbral MIDI/multi MIDI out? I have seen people mentioning it multiple times and I have even mentioned it in some reason forums and it is never addressed.

ProfessaKaos

27 May 2024

I don't comment here very often or ever comment about any updates, I usually just accept the updates as are as they always make my experience with Reason better, but I thought I should express some concerns I have from looking at the images on the Reason Studios website, I have 2 concerns for this version.

1. Will there still be the ability to have your favorites folders containing VST plugins with the images for easy navigation of all your VST's?

In version 12 I mainly use favorites folders to organise my hundreds of VST plugins. Examples: Compressors, EQ's, Tuning, Distortion, Saturation, Channel Strips, Multi FX, etc. The images makes it much easy to see exactly what plugin you are choosing or to see a plugin that sparks your eye to use that instead of what you first thought of using.

2. Is there still the ability to view the Mixer, Rack and Sequencer at the same time in one Window?

At times I like to see the Rack and Sequencer or Mixer and Sequencer together.

Here's a feature I would like which I haven't seen in any of the pictures so sorry if it is already there.
A feature I would like to see would be in the Midi editing side panel which is the ability to cut highlighted notes (a note or group of notes) up into say 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/16T 1/8, 1/8T, etc.

crimsonwarlock

27 May 2024

ProfessaKaos wrote:
27 May 2024
1. Will there still be the ability to have your favorites folders containing VST plugins with the images for easy navigation of all your VST's?
Nope. The plugins/devices browser no longer has a favorites option. This has been discussed here at length.
ProfessaKaos wrote:
27 May 2024
2. Is there still the ability to view the Mixer, Rack and Sequencer at the same time in one Window?

Yes, this is basically unchanged. As stated (and visible in the available videos), the only thing that changed with the three panes is that the dividers are much smaller, and they don't have the detach-icons anymore. Detaching the mixer and rack are now options in a menu.
-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

RandomSkratch

27 May 2024

ProfessaKaos wrote:
27 May 2024

1. No - in the current implementation there are no device based favourite groups. Favourite groups only exist in the patch browser which does not show VST patches.
2. Yes, this isn't changing.

chaosroyale

27 May 2024

Another browser question because there seems to be a lot of confusion;

The R11 browser allows me to navigate my internal and external drives much like file manager, so I can locate and load VSTs and samples directly off my SSD drive or wherever.

I have a bunch of locations set up in the R11 browser which map directly to various folders on my SSD, e.g. "drum samples" / "field recordings" etc. Can the new browser still do that?

I don't use Reason presets all, so that part of the new browser is completely irrelevant to me.

Loque

28 May 2024

chaosroyale wrote:
27 May 2024
Another browser question because there seems to be a lot of confusion;

The R11 browser allows me to navigate my internal and external drives much like file manager, so I can locate and load VSTs and samples directly off my SSD drive or wherever.

I have a bunch of locations set up in the R11 browser which map directly to various folders on my SSD, e.g. "drum samples" / "field recordings" etc. Can the new browser still do that?

I don't use Reason presets all, so that part of the new browser is completely irrelevant to me.
Did you checked the published screenshots? They show Shortcuts. Is it that what you are talking about?
Reason12, Win10

ProfessaKaos

28 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
27 May 2024
ProfessaKaos wrote:
27 May 2024
Nope. The plugins/devices browser no longer has a favorites option. This has been discussed here at length.
ProfessaKaos wrote:
27 May 2024

Yes, this is basically unchanged. As stated (and visible in the available videos), the only thing that changed with the three panes is that the dividers are much smaller, and they don't have the detach-icons anymore. Detaching the mixer and rack are now options in a menu.
Cheers, thanks for letting me know.
1. Doesn't seem like a workflow enhancement, well not in my case, it will actually make things far more annoying and time consuming as I have too many plugins, so to scroll through them just to find a plugin I can't remember the name of (but I know what it looks like) will really kill the vibe.

Loque

28 May 2024

ProfessaKaos wrote:
28 May 2024
crimsonwarlock wrote:
27 May 2024

Cheers, thanks for letting me know.
1. Doesn't seem like a workflow enhancement, well not in my case, it will actually make things far more annoying and time consuming as I have too many plugins, so to scroll through them just to find a plugin I can't remember the name of (but I know what it looks like) will really kill the vibe.
Are you aware, that VST3 has instrument and FX categories/tags? I speculate, that this categories/tags can be selected in the new device browser and hopefully the RE are categorized too, since they are also categorized in the shop.
Reason12, Win10

crimsonwarlock

28 May 2024

Loque wrote:
28 May 2024
... since they are also categorized in the shop.
If that categorization is used, it will certainly be useless. Did you ever try to find something in the shop by category? :lol:
-------

madmacman

28 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
28 May 2024
Loque wrote:
28 May 2024
If that categorization is used, it will certainly be useless. Did you ever try to find something in the shop by category? :lol:
I did - and it worked. :-) Well, at least for simple tasks like "Equalizer". For more exotic devices it is more difficult, of course.

Loque

28 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
28 May 2024
Loque wrote:
28 May 2024
Naa, not really... I still wait for the feature "blend everything out i already own" ;-)

Well, in a few weeks we will see how it does. It may depend on the tag quality of the VSTs and Tag quality of the RE. I had also used Favorite lists only to categorize my devices. For example "Obsession" could be found in "Retro Synths" and "Reverbs" since it has a very nice reverb which could be used with external audio. Or "The Legend" was also under "Filters". "iZotope Trash" was in Amp and in Reverb. Some compressors had endless ratio and could also be found under Limiters and so on and so forth...
Reason12, Win10

crimsonwarlock

28 May 2024

madmacman wrote:
28 May 2024
crimsonwarlock wrote:
28 May 2024
I did - and it worked. :-) Well, at least for simple tasks like "Equalizer". For more exotic devices it is more difficult, of course.
You are joking, right? If I select 'EQ/Filtering' in the shop, I obviously get EQs and filters, but I also see several pitch shifters, reverbs, compressors, a distortion, several delays, a noise gate, even the Optic Analyzer is listed there..... the list goes on and on.

You must have a very broad definition of 'if works' :lol:
-------

• Information