Is it safe to uninstall R11-Suite?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
crimsonwarlock

10 May 2024

I still have R11-Suite installed, besides R12. With the upcoming release of R13, I see no use in keeping R11 on my machine, but I'm afraid that uninstalling it will also remove the related 'suite' content (REs, sounds, etc.). That would mean I have to re-install all that. In that case, I might need to wait until R13 drops, as it has better support for managing that stuff in the R13 companion app.

Anyone have experience with this?
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

honeyBadger

10 May 2024

Yes, I have a suite license and only have 12 installed. The suite content is installed via companion and is tied to your account not the reason installer. At worst you would need to redownload the RE content via companion.

crimsonwarlock

10 May 2024

honeyBadger wrote:
10 May 2024
At worst you would need to redownload the RE content via companion.
That's the issue I'm worried about, as suite came with some content that does not install via the current version of companion, mainly the soundiron sample-based instruments, Radical Piano, etc.

From the R13 blogpost:
Companion’s also been refreshed and looks better than ever. It also finally handles the Optional Content that was previously downloaded from within Reason, so now you’ll find Klang, Pangea, Humana, Radical Piano, Drum Supply, and Loop Supply in Companion along with your other downloadable content.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

honeyBadger

10 May 2024

That content is part of the standard version of Reason, not suite exclusive and will still work with Reason 12 and 13 but I can’t answer how the installation process will work with 13. Is the concern with having to redownload it due to bandwidth or storage space?

crimsonwarlock

10 May 2024

honeyBadger wrote:
10 May 2024
Is the concern with having to redownload it due to bandwidth or storage space?
None of that. It's just that I have a nice stable working installation that I can use to make music, while the rut of reinstalling stuff (that is currently installed and working) is seriously off-putting :puf_wink:

But anyway, thanks for your input :puf_bigsmile:
-------

challism

10 May 2024

I uninstalled R11 when R12 came out and i didn't have any problems. I have/had Suite and none of my REs were affected (nor did they need to be reinstalled/downloaded). Disclaimer: Your results may vary.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

huggermugger

10 May 2024

Likewise, I upgraded from R11 Suite to R12 and lost none of my Suite REs. Didn't have to reinstall anything.

crimsonwarlock

10 May 2024

challism wrote:
10 May 2024
I uninstalled R11 when R12 came out and i didn't have any problems. I have/had Suite and none of my REs were affected (nor did they need to be reinstalled/downloaded). Disclaimer: Your results may vary.
huggermugger wrote:
10 May 2024
Likewise, I upgraded from R11 Suite to R12 and lost none of my Suite REs. Didn't have to reinstall anything.
Thanks for the info, guys. Going to uninstall it tomorrow, we'll see how it goes :puf_smile:
-------

DaveyG

10 May 2024

I'd suggest just keeping it on your machine. It doesn't exactly take up much space.

crimsonwarlock

10 May 2024

DaveyG wrote:
10 May 2024
I'd suggest just keeping it on your machine. It doesn't exactly take up much space.
Nah, I don't keep software installed that I don't use anymore. I also had several other DAWs installed, but those are getting removed one by one as well. I only keep the previous major version of Reason installed to be able to compare issues in the latest major version with that previous version. That is the only reason I had R11 still installed.
-------

DaveyG

10 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
10 May 2024
DaveyG wrote:
10 May 2024
Nah, I don't keep software installed that I don't use anymore. I also had several other DAWs installed, but those are getting removed one by one as well. I only keep the previous major version of Reason installed to be able to compare issues in the latest major version with that previous version. That is the only reason I had R11 still installed.
If it all goes horribly wrong be sure to post the gory details so I can feel a little bit superior. :D

Reminiscence

11 May 2024

Is it secret, is it safe? - Gandalf

• Information