Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Neo

07 May 2024

I definitely share the same concerns regarding favourite list/library organizer. Tempted to download the beta just to see how workflow is affected, though like others have posted lets see.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

tewoc

07 May 2024

mimidancer wrote:
06 May 2024
I couldn't care less about the library organizer. But I hope I can record more than one MIDI track at a time. I do not think that is a big ask.
So, based on all the information published so far, it looks very much as if there really isn't a single sequencer update / new feature at all. :exclamation:

Just cosmetics and a new layout. Even no dark mixer theme. It feels all somehow just horrible and repulsive for me as a long time user.

My opinion - I hope that I am wrong.

helmutson

07 May 2024

tewoc wrote:
07 May 2024
mimidancer wrote:
06 May 2024
I couldn't care less about the library organizer. But I hope I can record more than one MIDI track at a time. I do not think that is a big ask.
So, based on all the information published so far, it looks very much as if there really isn't a single sequencer update / new feature at all. :exclamation:

Just cosmetics and a new layout. Even no dark mixer theme. It feels all somehow just horrible and repulsive for me as a long time user.

My opinion - I hope that I am wrong.

Yes , it's only cosmetics in my opinion too. Same functionality as before, but now in one window at the same time and the browser is again in an extra window, as it was way back before. Another analog synth simulation and a delay/reverb. These 3 new "tool" RE's not to forget. Voilà : Reason 13 :clap:

tewoc

07 May 2024

Mhhh, but why? Do they want us to leave the ship to get rid of their long time DAW users?? :puf_unhappy:

helmutson

07 May 2024

tewoc wrote:
07 May 2024
Mhhh, but why? Do they want us to leave the ship to get rid of their long time DAW users?? :puf_unhappy:
No, I don't think so. They need every Penny, but I can imagine that it's hard without all these brilliant people
from the Propellerheads days. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I can't see any kind of progression in Reason Studio,
it's more a preservation than a developement of new and fresh ideas. I'm very sad and sorry to say that . :|

I respect their current work, but I'm simply not impressed any longer.

tewoc

07 May 2024

helmutson wrote:
07 May 2024
tewoc wrote:
07 May 2024
No, I don't think so. They need every Penny, but I can imagine that it's hard without all these brilliant people
from the Propellerheads days. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I can't see any kind of progression in Reason Studio,
it's more a preservation than a developement of new and fresh ideas. I'm very sad and sorry to say that . :|

Do you think that you need fresh ideas & brilliant minds for adding the soooooo long requested basic DAW features?

ambi

07 May 2024

helmutson wrote:
07 May 2024

I'm still impressed.
-RRP was a smart idea
-HD rework is great and was long overdue
-Vst3 support is nice
-Combinator 2 is fantastic (I wish they kept working on it as there's so much room for great improvements)
-Objekt is an awesome and fun instrument

R13 is not really exciting but a sequencer update is what most people asked for AFAIK. A lot of people were also not impressed by the HD update but from time to time you have to maintain the foundation of your software. And let's not forget that we still don't know what the sequencer update includes. They call the sequencer update hefty, so I guess there are still some nice features to be revealed.

pquenin

07 May 2024

WaxTrax wrote:
02 May 2024
I can't imagine what it must be like to be a software PM and dealing with people's constant negativity. No matter what you do, there will always be someone there to complain about it.
Reason updates are rare and cost $199 so I can understand that some people are disappointed if they were hoping for improvements that aren't there or if the changes seem like a regression to them...

Ottostrom

07 May 2024

ambi wrote:
07 May 2024
And let's not forget that we still don't know what the sequencer update includes. They call the sequencer update hefty, so I guess there are still some nice features to be revealed.
Although I appreciate the positivity. If there's one thing I've learned while following the Reason updates year after year, it's that the features mentioned in the announcement are the only things added.

WaxTrax

07 May 2024

pquenin wrote:
07 May 2024
Reason updates are rare and cost $199 so I can understand that some people are disappointed if they were hoping for improvements that aren't there or if the changes seem like a regression to them...
Reason upgrades are usually $99 or less when on sale (such as Black Friday -- I actually got my R12 upgrade for $67 from jrrshop).

I can understand the feeling of disappointment in not seeing the right features or progress that you desire, but instead of complaining over and over again, people can vote with their wallets. There are other music production software companies whose products I love and have purchased, but if they release upgrades I'm not happy with, I simply don't purchase them.

I also understand that product managers need both positive and negative feedback to help shape their future directions. My original point was simply giving credit to PMs who develop thick skins and can wade through the constant negativity. Kudos to them because I wouldn't want to have to deal with that constantly as part of my job.

yahsmith

07 May 2024

ambi wrote:
07 May 2024
helmutson wrote:
07 May 2024

I'm still impressed.
-RRP was a smart idea
-Vst3 support is nice
-Combinator 2 is fantastic (I wish they kept working on it as there's so much room for great improvements)

R13 is not really exciting but a sequencer update is what most people asked for AFAIK. A lot of people were also not impressed by the HD update but from time to time you have to maintain the foundation of your software. And let's not forget that we still don't know what the sequencer update includes. They call the sequencer update hefty, so I guess there are still some nice features to be revealed.

I think the issue is if you never use any other DAW then reason is great but if you have any other DAW, you realize how behind reason is as a DAW. Reason for me is now a plug-in that I use in other DAWS… Reason feels like software from 10 years ago. It is missing so many features. I always come back just to see if they finally add things and they don’t.

jjpscott01

07 May 2024

yahsmith wrote:
07 May 2024
ambi wrote:
07 May 2024

I'm still impressed.
-RRP was a smart idea
-Vst3 support is nice

I think the issue is if you never use any other DAW then reason is great but if you have any other DAW, you realize how behind reason is as a DAW. Reason for me is now a plug-in that I use in other DAWS… Reason feels like software from 10 years ago. It is missing so many features. I always come back just to see if they finally add things and they don’t.
To each their own I guess. I have Cubase 13, Studio One 6, and Reaper 7 and I still find Reason the best software for making music. Reason behind "behind" is completely subjective to how you work. I can do anything I want in the software and have been able to for a long time. The Sequencer/editor update in 13 is something I've wanted for years just because it'll speed up my workflow even more but there isn't another DAW out there that inspires me to make music like Reason and I own almost all of them.
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 5 | CUBASE 13 | SSL2+ | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

selig
RE Developer

07 May 2024

yahsmith wrote:
07 May 2024
And yet with every other DAW I've used, I've found myself missing many things in Reason. The ability to freely route audio/CV, the pitch editor (yes!), the inspector (one of the most missed features for me), and more. There's also plenty to complain about in Reason, just as there is in any other DAW I've used…
[edit:Reason has always felt like software from 10 years ago to me, but it's still inspiring. Just like a piano feels like technology from 200 years ago, yet still sends chills down my spine when I play a nice one.]
Selig Audio, LLC

pquenin

07 May 2024

All DAWs have their weaknesses. I like that Reason keeps it simple and doesn't give that awkward feeling of being overloaded.

pquenin

07 May 2024

WaxTrax wrote:
07 May 2024
... I also understand that product managers need both positive and negative feedback to help shape their future directions. My original point was simply giving credit to PMs who develop thick skins and can wade through the constant negativity. Kudos to them because I wouldn't want to have to deal with that constantly as part of my job.
Yes, I am sometimes tired of these eternal complaints. For my part, I was a little burned by the failed launch of Reason 12 and the long months of waiting before it was usable on my computer. Reason 13 fortunately is more of a refinement of the big redesign work done on Reason 12 and it should go well. In any case this new version, for once, interests me a lot.

vrbi

07 May 2024

Hi,

is there any chance to contact development team while they're working their magic on a new interface and functionality?
For years I have suggestion for them - to make paino roll switchable from vertical to horizontal orientation. This would help tremendously when working with MIDI manually, not only to see better the notes chromatically and logically but also (in my case at least) to see better the rhytmic divisions.
Could I pass it to someone to implement this improver? (as seen on the attached picture) [EDIT: can't attach the jpg for some reason, sorry :shock: ]
Last edited by vrbi on 07 May 2024, edited 1 time in total.

chimp_spanner

07 May 2024

selig wrote:
07 May 2024
yahsmith wrote:
07 May 2024
And yet with every other DAW I've used, I've found myself missing many things in Reason. The ability to freely route audio/CV, the pitch editor (yes!), the inspector (one of the most missed features for me), and more. There's also plenty to complain about in Reason, just as there is in any other DAW I've used…
[edit:Reason has always felt like software from 10 years ago to me, but it's still inspiring. Just like a piano feels like technology from 200 years ago, yet still sends chills down my spine when I play a nice one.]
When I found out that the only way to send MIDI to an insert effect in Logic was to put the things you want in a track stack, make an instrument track with the effect as the instrument, sidechain the stack to the instrument and mute the original stack...I was like...this is SO much easier in Reason. Totally messes up your mixer routing, and if you want to stack additional MIDI controlled effects you have to pass them from one instrument track to the next. So, so dumb. In a program full of great ideas.

Same as when I try to automate in literally *anything* other than Reason. "Why tf is my bass 2 semitones out of key...oh right, I didn't manually draw in a return to 0 automation value after that 2 beat phrase I automated". Lots to love about Reason. It can always be better. And I maintain it's a dozen very boring features away from being perfect for me, personally. But I still love it and work best in it.

joeyluck

07 May 2024

vrbi wrote:
07 May 2024
Hi,

is there any chance to contact development team while they're working their magic on a new interface and functionality?
For years I have suggestion for them - to make paino roll switchable from vertical to horizontal orientation. This would help tremendously when working with MIDI manually, not only to see better the notes chromatically and logically but also (in my case at least) to see better the rhytmic divisions.
Could I pass it to someone to implement this improver? (as seen on the attached picture) [EDIT: can't attach the jpg for some reason, sorry :shock: ]
You can post feature requests in the Reason Feature Requests forum, keeping in mind that this is an unofficial forum, run by users. While Reason Studios might take a peek at that forum from time to time, there's no guarantee that they'll see it. If you post a feature that other users find would be useful, the forum could perhaps help it to gain traction. In terms of your jpg image, is it too large? You can also host it somewhere else and "insert image" here.

If you want to provide Reason Studios with feedback directly, you can use their Feedback Form.

Loque

07 May 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
07 May 2024
selig wrote:
07 May 2024

When I found out that the only way to send MIDI to an insert effect in Logic was to put the things you want in a track stack, make an instrument track with the effect as the instrument, sidechain the stack to the instrument and mute the original stack...I was like...this is SO much easier in Reason. Totally messes up your mixer routing, and if you want to stack additional MIDI controlled effects you have to pass them from one instrument track to the next. So, so dumb. In a program full of great ideas.

Same as when I try to automate in literally *anything* other than Reason. "Why tf is my bass 2 semitones out of key...oh right, I didn't manually draw in a return to 0 automation value after that 2 beat phrase I automated". Lots to love about Reason. It can always be better. And I maintain it's a dozen very boring features away from being perfect for me, personally. But I still love it and work best in it.
Wait.... In other DAWs are workarounds necessary? 😳🫢🫣
Reason12, Win10

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

07 May 2024

mimidancer wrote:
06 May 2024
What's stopping you? Been able to do this for long time now, lots of videos on my Poohbear YouTube channel about it.

helmutson

07 May 2024

Logic 11 is announced and shows how far behind Reason is …

Reminiscence

07 May 2024

Wait, don't they stop supporting the previous version once a point update is done? Not like ver.12 fixes are gonna come into play down the line once 13 is released?

mimidancer

07 May 2024

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
07 May 2024
mimidancer wrote:
06 May 2024
What's stopping you? Been able to do this for long time now, lots of videos on my Poohbear YouTube channel about it.
I will take a look. I have seen a few of your videos. some good uses of cv and utilities. I watched the video. I have made good use of the Advanced midi section already as i have many hardware instruments. But you lost me at some point as you armed the tracks. it is cool you have a workaround I may be too stupid to implement it.

robussc

07 May 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
07 May 2024

As I've said before, Reason is "Virtual Studio Technology" done right. :)

I think the sequencer updates in 13 will be the one thing I need to be happy. I hate the tool window and the sequencer mode switching. Being done with that will be fantastic.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

crimsonwarlock

07 May 2024

robussc wrote:
07 May 2024
As I've said before, Reason is "Virtual Studio Technology" done right. :)

I think the sequencer updates in 13 will be the one thing I need to be happy. I hate the tool window and the sequencer mode switching. Being done with that will be fantastic.
+1 :puf_smile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

• Information